Animotion and Car Tunes

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Animotion and Car Tunes

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:44 pm

Like most normal humans, I stopped watching the Simpsons after the 9th, 10th, 11the etc. season.

But as Thad's mentioned, they still produce a few great moments every now and then.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:57 pm

Oh Gods damn it all. Fuck you, Disney.

"The closure of the animation company Blue Sky Studios by Disney has left its final film, a feature adaptation of the Noelle Stevenson comic Nimona, unreleased despite being nearly completed."

https://outline.com/JGPt5m

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:08 pm

yeah weird how the thing that got super cancelled involved lgbtq+ leads what a mystery that they would lay off over 400 people instead of finishing that

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:18 pm

Transphobia Mouse strikes again

you must be at least this cis and heterosexual to ride this ride
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:10 pm

<beatbandito> oh good lord jesus
<beatbandito> has anyone seen the trailer for the invincible series?
<beatbandito> the voices are almost all miserable. And also it's really pushing the idea that it's cool because it's like a superhero story, but with BLOOD
<beatbandito> they also seem to have darkened the skin of a character that is nothing but an irredeemable asshole for most of the series, and I have a feeling may not get the redemption in this version
<beatbandito> also the character that turns out to be a gay joke (and is the only lgbtq representation in the story that I can think of, even as a joke) sounds like big gay al

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:51 am

> The Walking Dead
> Edgy superheroes with BLOOD!
No thanks.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:50 am

Grath wrote:> The Walking Dead
> Edgy superheroes with BLOOD!
No thanks.

Invincible is a comic with a lot of astoundingly problematic moments, but overall a good and meaningful story (like, really overall, abstracted at best for most of the run). In the right hands it could have been an incredible, topical series. This does not appear to be the right hands.

Like, all together there's probably an entire volume of just the drawn-out, edgy violence that ultimately says less than this one page:

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:36 pm

I read...maybe the first three trades? I really liked the first one, then the second felt like it was built too heavily around PLOT TWIST and graphic violence. (ETA: I checked my bookshelf and I've got the first five, and the ultraviolence/plot twist I was thinking of took place across volumes 2-3. So I guess I hung on a little longer than I remembered.)

I liked the first teaser quite a bit, the one that was just Mark and Noah playing catch. Second one didn't really do anything for me and yep, looks like they're leaning pretty heavily on the whole graphic violence thing.

The voice cast is solid; I'm seeing a good deal of celebrities in there like JK Simmons, Seth Rogen, Gillian Jacobs, and John Hamm, but I'm also seeing a lot of experienced VAs like Mark Hamill, Grey Griffin, Mae Whitman, and Kevin Michael Richardson. I can't say as any of the line reads in the trailer impressed me except for the ones by Simmons, but it's also a bunch of rapid-fire out-of-context snippets, so I don't feel like there's enough there for me to make a judgement on the voice acting.

Could still turn out okay. I expect I'll watch at least the first couple episodes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:53 pm

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:31 pm

DuckTales 2017 went out like it came in; juggling a whole lot of things in the air, dropping more than a few of them, but keeping the whole thing a worthwhile spectacle from start to finish. It really is in a lot of ways a kid friendly Venture Bros with the density of its character relationships and focus on adventure deconstructions. Now that it’s over and done I can pretty easily recommend it to just about anyone with a passing interest or fondness for good cartoons, the duck characters, or the Disney afternoon in general (you’ll get just enough Darkwing by the end to really want more, but every Disney afternoon original gets at least a moment). I’m pretty sad that a show of this overall quality won’t get at least one more victory lap, but better to go out with a solid ending than just drift off the air.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:02 pm

Niku wrote:DuckTales 2017 went out like it came in; juggling a whole lot of things in the air, dropping more than a few of them, but keeping the whole thing a worthwhile spectacle from start to finish. It really is in a lot of ways a kid friendly Venture Bros with the density of its character relationships and focus on adventure deconstructions. Now that it’s over and done I can pretty easily recommend it to just about anyone with a passing interest or fondness for good cartoons, the duck characters, or the Disney afternoon in general (you’ll get just enough Darkwing by the end to really want more, but every Disney afternoon original gets at least a moment). I’m pretty sad that a show of this overall quality won’t get at least one more victory lap, but better to go out with a solid ending than just drift off the air.

It is pretty good but it suffers from one thing, the one thing that also weighed Gravity Falls throughout

every episode has to have some character learning to improve themselves by facing up to some medium discomfort

it's like clockwork if you're watching these episodes too many at a time

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:00 pm

All other considerations aside, it's a David Tennant vehicle and therefore indispensable. Why have he and Hamil not shared a sound stage yet? Capitalism is failing us.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:29 pm

Clock King / Joker. No batman, they just hang out.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:00 pm

But TWIST: with Tennant as Joker.

He's never played the Joker before. But the Joker's played David Tennant.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:36 pm

I was feeling nostalgic and fired up the first few episodes of X-Men ('92).

My opinion that this show is bad and the only reason anyone thinks it's good is that they saw it when they were children is unchanged. However, I'll concede that it is bad in an extremely entertaining way.

I can't say the writing is bad. It manages to tell a serialized story loaded up with all kinds of insane, convoluted X-Men continuity and still tell it in a way that 10-year-old me could mostly understand even if he missed a couple episodes. And while the quips are corny as hell, they're corny in a clever and endearing way, like a good action movie. I find myself laughing at the dialogue more than with it, but I'm still laughing. And the absurd, over-the-top accents where Gambit's and Rogue's every single line of dialogue forcefully reminds you that yes indeed they are from a particular geographic region -- well, what could be a more accurate adaptation of Claremont's X-Men than that?

It doesn't have the self-awareness of Batman ('66); it's not really a show that's meant to be watched by adults and enjoyed as a parody. But it can be.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:33 pm

Even stuff like everybody constantly speaking in exposition and explaining what they're about to do and why they're about to do it. It's inelegant but it's effective; it's a heavily-serialized show with a ridiculously oversized cast, and if Rogue didn't explain what happens when she touches someone every single time she does it, a sizable portion of the audience wouldn't be able to follow what was going on.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:43 pm

Sinister.

Mister

Sinister.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:44 pm

I've based my entire lifelong perception of what comic books are actually like off of that cartoon and nobody has ever had to correct me about it.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:00 pm

also

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:01 pm

Brentai wrote:I've based my entire lifelong perception of what comic books are actually like off of that cartoon and nobody has ever had to correct me about it.

That's because comic books are either 100% exactly like this or even more convoluted with no exposition ever. There's no inbetween.