Animotion and Car Tunes

Thad

Re: Animotion and Car Tunes

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Mongrel wrote:
Thad wrote:Ooh, I thought of a cult cartoon I haven't seen anybody float for a revival yet: Duckman. Bring back Duckman!

Rocko's Modern Life?

Had a Netflix special last year. I haven't seen it but consensus seems to be that it was pretty good.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:04 pm

Yeah, Rocko and Zim were both almost the platonic ideal of “get a little bit more, but don’t overstay your welcome back party.” I enjoyed them a lot.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:25 pm

Thad wrote:I remember the Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen

I got the Ren and Stimpy album, "You Eediot!", expressly for that song.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:02 pm

Blazing Saddles is being reimagined as an animated film titled Blazing Samurai

Blazing Saddles starred Gene Wilder and Cleavon Little, and while this upcoming animated film is obviously going to be very different in a lot of ways, it sounds like the story it tells will be very similar. But, it will involve a dog becoming the Sheriff of a town of cats.

The movie is being directed by Mark Koetsier, and the story follows Hank, “a loveable mutt with big dreams of becoming a Samurai. When he finds himself with a new job as sheriff of Kakamucho, he also finds he may have bitten off more than he can chew given the town is inhabited solely by cats.”

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:02 am

Büge wrote:Blazing Saddles is being reimagined as an animated film titled Blazing Samurai

Blazing Saddles starred Gene Wilder and Cleavon Little, and while this upcoming animated film is obviously going to be very different in a lot of ways, it sounds like the story it tells will be very similar. But, it will involve a dog becoming the Sheriff of a town of cats.

The movie is being directed by Mark Koetsier, and the story follows Hank, “a loveable mutt with big dreams of becoming a Samurai. When he finds himself with a new job as sheriff of Kakamucho, he also finds he may have bitten off more than he can chew given the town is inhabited solely by cats.”

I say "Well, it can't possibly be any worse than the Black Bart TV series," but then again I've seen the Spaceballs cartoon.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:32 am

Just *thinking* about the Spaceballs cartoon makes me want to rub my arm with isopropyl.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:00 am

You sons of bitches, I had forgotten that even existed!

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:46 am

Guess, despite what so many people say, you can make Blazing Saddles these days.

You just shouldn't.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:39 pm

The creator just couldn't pass up the chance at mass hysteria.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:45 pm

I haven't been linking all of Evanier's Cartoon Voices videos, but here are the ones he's done so far:

Panel 1: Bob Bergen, Julie Nathanson, Phil LaMarr, Secunda Wood and Fred Tatasciore

Panel 2: Rob Paulsen, Kaitlyn Robrock, Gregg Berger, Debra Wilson and Jim Meskimen

Panel 3: Alicyn Packard, Alan Oppenheimer, Jason Marsden, Elle Newlands and John Mariano

Panel 4: Michael Bell, Debi Derryberry, Neil Kaplan, Nickie Bryar and Neil Ross

Panel 5: Laraine Newman, Bill Farmer, Misty Lee and Dee Bradley Baker

Panel 6: Jon Bailey, Kari Wahlgren, Corey Burton, Kimberly Brooks and J.P. Karliak

They're all great, though there are some technical issues here and there; that last one in particular suffers from really uneven volume levels among the different participants. I had to keep turning the volume way up every time Corey talked and then way down every time Mark did.

Mark suggested recently that he might not keep doing his conversation videos if they don't attract a larger audience; not sure if that includes the Cartoon Voices panels, but anyway you should watch these and tell your friends.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:31 pm

The first scene's at 18:40.

I wonder what they'll do with the lyrics to the theme song. One assumes they'll go with something a little less dated than "Bill Clinton plays the sax."

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:25 pm

Cartoon Brew has a good and thorough piece on the designs for the new Animaniacs.

There are some really beautiful '30s-style designs by Cuphead's Studio MDHR and Carey Yost that I'm disappointed they decided not to go with, but I can understand why they eventually opted not to deviate too far from the original designs. And there's some interesting discussion in there about how the designs on TOS weren't entirely consistent either, and they varied from studio to studio; specifically, the new designs (by Genevieve Tsai) are primarily based on episodes that were animated by Tokyo Movie Shinsha.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:29 am

Thad wrote:Boy the Primal finale was a gut-punch.

(I mean, figuratively. In addition to all the literal gut-punching. Have I mentioned this is the most violent goddamn cartoon I've ever seen?)

I am not seeing anything suggesting there will be a followup. I'm hoping there is because that's no kind of ending. I mean, it is a kind of ending; specifically, it's a cliffhanger ending.

Primal's back! Man that was messed up, episode 5 ending the way it did with no apparent indication that there were any more episodes. But there are! And man I know I've piled the superlatives onto this show but it really is unique and special. Watch this show if you can stomach the violence and the occasional emotional gut-punch. Seriously, after episode 5 I spent the rest of the evening hugging my dog.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:06 am

Thad wrote:There are some really beautiful '30s-style designs by Cuphead's Studio MDHR and Carey Yost that I'm disappointed they decided not to go with

I'll be surprised if they don't roll those out for an alternate history / time travel episode at some point.

I wonder how much of their art style theorycraft is rationalisation of subconscious actions after the fact though, this looks like the usual evolution cartoon characters go through as artists swap around and gain familiarity over time without conscious effort to switch designs.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:26 am

Yeah, this just looks like the high def remastered textures version which given that the entire show is riding nostalgia makes sense

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:28 pm

The new design seems pretty good (if not much of a change, as you guys have said), but the closeness of the eyes is really bothering me.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:48 pm

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:41 am

... well here's hoping that wasn't edited in-house.