Animotion and Car Tunes

beatbandito

Re: Animotion and Car Tunes

Postby beatbandito » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:12 am

I've watched enough Oneyplays videos that I assumed there would be nothing redeeming about Smiling Friends, but it's actually pretty funny. It seems to embrace that it's basically 2000s flash animator style and jokes in a Williams Street presentation.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:51 pm

Nathan Rabin is reviewing Freakazoid, a show which he has never seen. So far he's written up the first two episodes. He doesn't have much to say about them that hasn't already been said before, but he likes them.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:53 pm

‘Futurama’ Revival Ordered at Hulu With Multiple Original Cast Members Returning

DiMaggio is unconfirmed at this point, which is a little concerning, but there's still plenty of time so I'm not too worried just yet. The rest of the principals are onboard.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:59 pm

Alright, a chance for another series finale
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:11 pm

A gander at DiMaggio's Twitter indicates, without going into detail, that he's holding out for a better deal than what they've offered, and this talk about recasting the role is them playing hardball.

His current pinned tweet:

And he RT'ed this:

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:31 pm

A little bit more from EW. DiMaggio linked this on Twitter, so while the information is anonymously sourced (and in one case contradictory), that suggests the broad strokes are probably accurate.

Why 'Futurama' star John DiMaggio won't voice Bender in revival... for now

Hulu and 20th Television Animation went out to West, Sagal, and DiMaggio at the same time last year to begin negotiations. This is an example of "favored nations," which is a pretty standard negotiation process in the animation field that seeks to pay series regulars the same. The goal was to close those deals before reaching out to other voice actors from the original show.

According to sources, an offer was extended to all three actors. West and Sagal accepted. DiMaggio's team did not, seeing it as a lowball and not competitive to the market or the legacy of Futurama. One source suggests the favored nations process fell apart with West and Sagal taking the offer without consulting DiMaggio. Another source refutes that notion.

DiMaggio's side counter-offered with more competitive quotes, but some sources suggest conversations with the studio ended in November and have not progressed since.

A search for a replacement voice actor is still ongoing, while the offer for DiMaggio to return remains on the table for the time being, EW has learned. The studio doesn't want to pay DiMaggio more than West and Sagal, which contributes to the standstill.

I guess that leaves me with more questions than answers. Wonder if there was a breakdown in communication among the leads, or a disagreement, or what. Billy West is certainly a voice actor of similar stature to John DiMaggio*, and I expect the both of them have a pretty good idea of what they're worth, so I'm curious what reasoning would lead one of them to accept a deal that the other considered a lowball. We may never know, but I hope this gets resolved in a way that's fair to all three of them.

I also don't think Disney's having an easy time finding any takers, reading between the lines on all the "they're looking to recast the role but the first table read is on Monday" summaries. I've seen/read/heard enough interviews with VAs over the years that I gather they're a pretty tightly-knit industry and most of them consider taking somebody else's job to be the height of bad form; part of why the Simpsons cast was able to successfully negotiate a pay raise in the late '90s was that Fox couldn't find anybody who was willing to replace them.

* no disrespect to Katey Sagal, who is fantastic, and I wouldn't want a Futurama without her either; I'm just saying that as far as VO work goes, she's not nearly as prolific as her co-stars.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:54 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:13 pm

Hadn't checked in on the Bender story in a few weeks, so I didn't see this news until today: ‘Futurama’ Star John DiMaggio Joins Hulu Revival: ‘I’m Back, Baby!’

Great to hear. Looking forward to the new season; the Comedy Central era wasn't as good as the show's prime but it still had some all-timers in there, like The Late Philip J Fry.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:59 am

Oh my god, I never knew they'd done this.

(yes, it's all the voice actors)

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:32 pm

mharr wrote:Oh Gods damn it all. Fuck you, Disney.

"The closure of the animation company Blue Sky Studios by Disney has left its final film, a feature adaptation of the Noelle Stevenson comic Nimona, unreleased despite being nearly completed."

https://outline.com/JGPt5m

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:05 pm

OH HELL YEAH.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:31 pm

Netflix giveth and Netflix taketh away. They picked up Nimona but pulled the plug on Bone.

True to this “new thesis statement,” several high-profile animated projects in the Kids & Family space have been outright canceled, including “Bone” (which Netflix confirmed), an adaptation of Roald Dahl’s “The Twits” that was meant to be part of several Dahl-based projects (Netflix insists “The Twits” is still alive, potentially now as a feature film) and Lauren Faust’s witchy “Toil and Trouble.” Netflix currently touts “Boss Baby” as the ideal of what an animated series on the platform should be and what kind of numbers those animated series should be bringing in (this was reiterated by almost everyone we spoke to) although Netflix doesn’t even own “Boss Baby” — it licenses the series from DreamWorks Animation. (A new “Boss Baby” series premieres next month.)

Well that's a good sign.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:18 pm

lmao Boss Baby oh god

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:19 pm

Netflix currently touts stepping in dogshit as the ideal of what a stroll around the office should be and what kind of smell that experience should be bringing in (this was reiterated by almost everyone we spoke to, each of whom made sure to put their feet up on the nearest co-worker's chair).

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat May 21, 2022 11:58 pm

I don't think the new Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers movie on Disney+ is especially good but I do think it's worth watching for animation fans despite the fact that they're also going to be the ones who are most annoyed by how absolutely terrible Chip and other characters using the same "3D-2D" aesthetic look. When it comes to Leo-Pointing-At-Cameo recognition kitchen sink filmmaking though, it's way broader and better done than stuff like Space Jam 2 or Ready Player One; it really is the modern hare to Who Framed Roger Rabbit in the "anything goes" level of characters showing up. No movie is ever going to be WFRR, no movie is ever going to be close, and comparing these two films is just going to make Chip and Dale look even worse by comparison, but Chip and Dale at least tries and there are some amusing jokes throughout. Some scenes have characters from two or three different mediums interacting together in a cool update from where Roger Rabbit postulated "hand drawn cartoons and humans together!"; here you get hand drawn, modern CGI, claymation, and puppetry all being part of the world to various degrees.

There's a bit where John Mulaney's Chip is trying to talk someone down from addiction though. Whooof.

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu May 26, 2022 4:45 pm

amphibia is real fuckin good

like, it's not quite gravity falls/ducktales '17 good as of the end of the first season, but it's still real real good. disney has been pretty on fire with their semi-serialized goofy kids adventure shows over the past decade. a couple of eps into season two and i'm loving it thus far as the status quo turns from simpsons-esque "get to know the wacky townsfolks and world" storylines and humor to a road trip to explore some other locales and characters; if i had to pinpoint one thing that elevates the show, it's just how good it is at drawing entertaining and interesting characters who get like six minutes of screen time, over and over again.

also it is chock to the brim with hilarious drawings and reaction shots from characters. love a cartoon that can make me laugh just by drawing its characters weird.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri May 27, 2022 3:52 am

I've been hearing that for a while, and was always like "wtf? I tried to watch it and it was awful!" and it took me until yesterday to realize that I was getting title of Amphibia confused with the setting of Netflix's "Kulipari" The Amphibilands.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 27, 2022 12:19 pm

‘Married…With Children’ Animated Series in the Works

The studio has signed the show’s core cast — Ed O’Neill, Katey Sagal, Christina Applegate and David Faustino — to reprise their roles in voiceover.

Sure, why not.

No word on Amanda Bearse or Ted McGinley yet. Or whether David Garrison will stop by for a guest appearance. (Lame claim to fame: I went out with his niece a couple times in college. At least, she said she was his niece, and I believed her, because if you were going to lie about being related to a famous person, you probably wouldn't pick Steve from Married...with Children.)

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:06 am

Niku wrote:if i had to pinpoint one thing that elevates the show, it's just how good it is at drawing entertaining and interesting characters who get like six minutes of screen time, over and over again.

I read an interview with the creator where he talks about his love of short stories and admiration for giant casts that get little focus moments and episodes (a la Adventure Time or the Steven Universe) so this definitely makes a lot of sense for how many of these little 11 minute episodes are good at getting in and doing what they do and getting back out.

Anyway I finished the series and I felt like it stuck the landing really hard. Just an absolutely delightful little show that never stops being goofy or funny while having some incredibly dark crud going down that doesn't downplay the stakes that come into the story. It can be kind of a slow burn for a lot of folks in season one because it's almost all episodic meet-the-townies stuff much like early Steven Universe, but that all comes back around in the end.

Also just a fantastic voice cast in both large and small parts. Bill Farmer plays Hop Pop in one of his only non-Goofy roles. It took me a minute to get why a lothario swordsman sounded so much like Strong Bad before I realized the obvious that it was Strong Bad; not to mention MVP side characters played by Keith David, Troy Baker, Jack McBrayer, Steven Root, Tony Hale, and RuPaul who may or may not just actually be playing RuPaul's side-gig in-universe.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:49 pm

Amphibia was very good. Nothing I can think of as a huge stand-out moment, but nothing bad, either. My biggest complaint with the series is I think the season 3 ED is shit compared to how the first two seasons / special episodes had a great thing going.

Also you forgot that Whoopi Goldberg is there, basically just playing Guinan.