Podcasts where it isn't stand up comedians talking and talking (and talking)

beatbandito

Re: Podcasts where it isn't stand up comedians talking and talking (and talking)

Postby beatbandito » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Now that Fast Karate is all but officially dead, anyone have suggestions for podcasts that are basically just friends riffing in tangents based off: bad anime, video games, and/or 24?

mharr

Re: Podcasts where it isn't stand up comedians talking and talking (and talking)

Postby mharr » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:28 am

Metal Slime wrote:Super Best Friendcast is my goto for games and other nerd bullshit.

Question regarding what is now Castle Super Beast that I've been unable to usefully google: Do I know these guys from some other games podcast about eight years back or do they just have default Canadian gamer voices?

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:56 pm

mharr wrote:
Metal Slime wrote:Super Best Friendcast is my goto for games and other nerd bullshit.

Question regarding what is now Castle Super Beast that I've been unable to usefully google: Do I know these guys from some other games podcast about eight years back or do they just have default Canadian gamer voices?

No podcasts prior and if by some chance they were on some I don't know about, it was purely as guests.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Recently, a vintage lingerie boutique owner here in Toronto started up a podcast called Garter Girls. They talk about lingerie and fashion and all sorts of things. It only has two episodes so far, but it's fun to listen to.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:56 pm

Wait. Have I not plugged NeoScum yet?
NeoScum is a Actual Play podcast where a group of young improv friends play Shadowrun. So it's exactly what the title of this thread doesn't want. But NeoScum Good.
That's the 'meme' everyone always repeats. NeoScum Good. And for a good reason. It's funny and a bit raunchy. Everyone is having a great time and I haven't laughed that much at a podcast in years. There's a lot of real emotional meat to the show after a while to the point I just got past a good couple of episodes where they all went to therapy.
The cast is super friendly on Twitter and on their streams.

They have a couple recap eps to look for if you want. But basically I have not found a podcast with a better following or crew.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:49 pm

I just discovered the reason for VGHD's podfade back in August and it is Not Pretty. Looks like I'll be replacing that one with Jim's personal podcast at https://topiclords.com

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 pm

Looks like it's been removed already. Was it the victim? I can see someone in that situation rapidly having to take their Twitter private.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:46 pm

That seems almost certain, yeah. The podcast was pretty obscure but Kingdom of Loathing, and more recently West of Loathing are big enough to ensure a sizable Sad Puppies Victim Harassment Corps. Yet another superficially woke dude turns out to be predatory camouflage I guess.

The westofloathing subreddit has links to the whole sordid mess in a stickied thread FWIW. The google document is still up (Trigger Warnings: All of Them.)

Feels like AJGatherer speaks for me when he says "Yeah I'm kinda reeling from this. I've been following this bunch for a decade and I don't know how to feel other than shitty."

While we're here though I'll shout out to https://redpagespodcast.com, which is yet another standard gaming cast hosted by friends of Jim. It's essentially the unofficial Frog Fractions developer show. (Caution, horrific mic volume imbalance ahead.)

JD

Postby JD » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:52 pm

Fall of Civilizations is a podcast about... well, fallen civilizations. The first episode is about Roman Britain.

Well There's Your Problem is an irreverant podcast about engineering disasters. It examines both the design flaws and systemic causes of disasters and the changes that were put in place afterward as a result. The first five episodes are on donoteat01's Youtube, so you should start there.

mharr wrote:Question regarding what is now Castle Super Beast that I've been unable to usefully google: Do I know these guys from some other games podcast about eight years back or do they just have default Canadian gamer voices?

Castle Super Beast's precursor, the Super Best Friendcast, dates back to August 2013, but their earliest Lets Plays date back to 2010.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:10 am

JD wrote:Castle Super Beast's precursor, the Super Best Friendcast, dates back to August 2013, but their earliest Lets Plays date back to 2010.

OMG thank you, those anime avatars were going to scratch around just out of sight in the back of my brain for the rest of time.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:58 pm

Excited to learn that Fred van Lente and Crystal Skillman have adapted their stage play, King Kirby, as a podcast (starring Steven Rattazzi, The Venture Bros' Dr. Orpheus, as Jack). I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:08 pm

Listened to the first episode on my lunch break. It's about fifteen minutes long and covers the period right up to him and Simon coming up with the idea for a patriotic superhero.

The early scenes didn't do much for me (also: CW for antisemitism in the street brawl scene), but it picks up once he gets to Fox Publications. Victor Fox himself is a delightfully cartoonish highlight.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:20 pm

If you're interested in the history of San Diego Comic-Con, give Comic-Con Begins a listen.

My biggest criticism is that it's got a hell of a lot of people and doesn't always take the time to introduce them. I know a few voices in there -- Evanier, Aragones, Gaiman, Kevin Smith, and, via archival audio, Jack Kirby and Stan Lee -- but much of the time I didn't know who was talking. (I'd love to be able to credit the guy who said "I got to meet all the great Golden Age comic book artists, and also Bob Kane" -- I think it was Scott Shaw but I'm not sure.) I understand why they don't stop to add a credit every time someone talks, because there are a hell of a lot of them and it would make the whole thing longer and choppier. But it's one of those things where there'd definitely be an advantage to having a video version. Even if it was just voices over photos and nameplates.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:57 pm

Remember Squirrel Girl? She's back, in pod form!

Ryan North returns as writer, Milana Vayntrub returns as Squirrel Girl (having previously played her in the New Warriors pilot that didn't make it to series), and I don't see a credit for the promo art but I'm pretty sure that's Derek Charm returning as well.

Here's what North has to say about it:

And I found an RSS feed!

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:19 pm

Ken White, Josh Barro, and Sara Fay have unveiled their followup to All the Presidents' Lawyers: Serious Trouble. (Warning: the site's on Substack, so if you don't want to give Substack clicks, don't click that. I'm guessing it'll probably show up on other subscription services too?)

Postby Newbie » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:26 pm

Lately I'm listening to Ryan and Zach, who created the podcasts The Complete Guide to Koholint and The Hero's Path, which are deep, geographically-centered explorations of Link's Awakening and Breath of the Wild respectively. Afterwards I plan to listen to Ryan and Jenni host Clash of the Type-Ins, in which they have interactive fiction authors join them for a recorded playthrough of their games and a careful balance of game design discussion and rampant japery.

Koholint in particular deserves recognition for its clever structure: the game map is 256 squares, one square per overworld screen, and this podcast is 256 episodes long. I'm very tickled by how well this works.
tiny text

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:48 pm

Niku wrote:Retronauts: You probably know what this is, but hey, retro gaming topics from some of the best people around when it comes to researching and respecting the good old days, and also Bob Mackey is there. (I kid!)

Mackey's a likable enough guy, and he's knowledgeable about cartoons and cartoon-adjacent topics, but I think his problem is that he's constitutionally incapable of getting to the fucking point.

Last night I was listening to the episode about the GameCube/Game Boy Advance Link Cable (a Patreon exclusive; I paid money to listen to this) and I made it about 35 minutes in and they still hadn't started talking about the games; they were off on a tangent about how people on messageboards would make fun of you for being a Nintendo fan back in the early aughts.

That is not useful context! "The GameCube sold poorly" is useful historical context. "People made fun of me on the Internet" is not. Because "people make fun of Nintendo fans" is a statement that is true for every era and is not an indicator of Nintendo's current level of financial success! People made fun of Nintendo and its fans during times when the company had very successful consoles and handhelds out, too!

Like, I'm sorry people made fun of you on the Internet for being a Nintendo fan 20 years ago. But people made fun of me on the Prodigy boards for being a Nintendo fan 30 years ago, and you don't see me whining about it and charging people a subscription fee to listen.

Similarly, "Sega had collapsed and exited the console market just a few years earlier, so it seemed plausible that might happen to Nintendo too" is valuable historical context, but "People on messageboards were saying Microsoft was going to buy Nintendo" is not. You don't need to report baseless rumors propagated by Internet randos when they're new, let alone 20 years later when it's clear there was nothing to them. People being wrong on the Internet is not, in itself, news, let alone decades after the fact.

JFC I just want to listen to people talk about Pac-Man Versus.

The other day I was wondering what a good system would be to clear up some space on the memory stick I've got my podcasts on. It occurred to me that I could go through the description of every episode of Retronauts and just delete the ones hosted by Bob. Sorry, Bob! You seem like a nice guy! But I find your episodes meandering and unfocused!

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:20 pm

He's kind of a dick. He spent days mocking someone for moving from California's bay area to Florida to save money, and then pushed that same person out of a podcast they started, even going so far as to rerecord the episodes they had been on.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:33 pm

That seems a bit more than "kind of".

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:58 pm

hngkong wrote:He's kind of a dick. He spent days mocking someone for moving from California's bay area to Florida to save money, and then pushed that same person out of a podcast they started, even going so far as to rerecord the episodes they had been on.

Huh. Well that doesn't make him seem like a nice guy at all.