Netflix and Kill Me

Upthorn

Re: Netflix and Kill Me

Postby Upthorn » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:18 am

My partner and I just finished watching Legion on Hulu.
It's very loosely based on the X-Men/Marvel Comics character, Legion, and it has a lot of mind-fuck to it--I'd peg it somewhere between Serial Experiments Lain, and Key: The Metal Idol on that scale.

I was actually just searching the boards to see what Thad's take on it was, and was extremely surprised not to find any mention of it.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:41 am

Weird, could have sworn I'd talked about it before.

Short version: I'm stalled out somewhere in the back half of season 2 but I enjoyed the hell out of season 1. Noah Hawley may be my favorite showrunner in all of television right now; have you seen the Fargo TV series?

Fox tapped him to make a Doctor Doom movie, too; I would have loved to see that but the Disney buyout means it's almost certainly never going to happen now.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:22 pm

Finished She-Ra - loved it. Very strong, satisfying last season, full of great pairings. A little rushed in the last two eps, never really impacts the enjoyment.

Also caught up on Kipo, which is a completely delightful surprise. I'm stunned to find out it's based on a comic, considering how much the music makes it what it is. Great guest characters, my favorite among them John Hodgman and GZA as Billions and Billions, the rapping science wolves.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:41 pm

Muppets Now! on Disney plus is a return to more classic Muppets sketch comedy. The first episode is cute, if not particularly laugh out loud, and sets up the current premise of everything being a live-streamed series of YouTube esque skits hosted by the various Muppets players. The framing device lends itself to some quick sign gag type jokes with the various apps and files on screen, but does feel a little empty compared to backstage chaos.

The second episode feels much, much stronger in the premises of the skits on display and the writing. Bunsen and Beaker essentially hosting one of those "technically science, but mostly destroying a bunch of shit" YouTube shows is perfect. There's a reoccurring Miss Piggy health and beauty skit that I think worked better in the second episode than the first, but time will tell how many of the various skits will be repeated across the episodes and how many unique ones there'll be throughout the season.