Sonic

Thad

Re: Sonic

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:08 pm

Have had a couple small issues with the Deck D-pad now; spots where I tried to roll and it didn't work. Annoying but not serious.

Still no problems on Blue Sphere that weren't my own fault.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:15 pm

Well, there's no use for d-pad down in Blue Sphere
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:22 pm

Finished a Knuckles playthrough of Sonic 3 AIR (the Flatpak version I grabbed for the Deck).

It's an impressive piece of work but the Sonic and Knuckles half has some pretty noticeable performance issues. Still, this is probably going to be my go-to PC version going forward. (As far as playing on a real Genesis or FPGA or what-have-you, I hear good things about Sonic 3 Complete.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:15 am

Decided to fire up Sonic Chronicles, which I've never played before.

Hm. You know, touchscreen controls are a great fit for a '90s-style 3/4 top-down BioWare RPG.

And...a much less great fit for a Sonic game. But I'm intrigued enough I can see sticking with it for a little bit.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:34 pm

well let's see what's in the mail today

...huh.

Welp, I picked a good time to start blogging again.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:42 pm

babe wake up new Thad blog just dropped
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:57 pm

If you want to hear me talk about the Evercade some more, check back in an hour or so.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:29 am

Thad wrote:Welp, I picked a good time to start blogging again.

But I just read The Lara-Su Chronicles: Beginnings review yesterday, and absolutely cannot fathom putting any more mental energy towards Sonic comics-adjacent material for at least three months!
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:43 pm

I'm not sure if I've ever checked out Thanks, Ken Penders; I've probably at least skimmed it.

When I do get around to reading the book I intend to go in cold, or as cold as possible, and try to avoid letting anybody else's reactions color mine.

I don't always like Ken's work and he's something of an easy target, but I think a lot of the shit he gets is self-perpetuating fandom stuff -- people make fun of him because he's that guy people make fun of. (And I've made my opinions on people who are mad at him for claiming the rights he was legally entitled to claim pretty plain, but that's ancient history now and the odds of seeing any official continuation of the Archie Sonic comic are near-zero at this point.) I haven't read a Penders comic in probably 25 years but I remember I liked his Knuckles stuff better than his Sonic stuff, and this is pretty much a continuation of that.

(Though AIUI we haven't gotten to any new stuff yet; this "Beginnings" volume is just a reprint of the Mobius: 25 Years Later storyline from the early aughts.)

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:10 pm

If you want to hear me talk about the Evercade some more, check back in an hour or so.

Not a bad read. I agree with you about the "a limited selection can actually be a good thing".

You're much more of a gamer historian/techie than I am, but I am interested in legal means to play old games. Evercade seems like a good option for that. Also, the game dev side of me is VERY interested in the indie games, because I think it's neat from a design perspective to limit yourself to old hardware specs but have the benefit of decades of iterative design. I imagine that those indie games are pretty fuckin' good.

However, as usual, I must give out a 0/10 for the post because you did not mention FF7 in any way the whole time
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:01 am

so the new groovy fries are better than their old fries but i still don't like them very much, so i'mma stick with the tots

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:27 am

i don't understand that fucking ad

does Sonic seriously think they invented crinkle cut fries
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:11 am

Friday wrote:You're much more of a gamer historian/techie than I am, but I am interested in legal means to play old games. Evercade seems like a good option for that.

Yeah, I'll get into it whenever I get around to the next post but I think the most sensible entry-level option is the VS-R (the console) at $100; it's just not going to be available for a few more weeks.

There's also the EXP-R (handheld), which will release at the same time and also be $100, and the earlier-model EXP, which last I checked is still available for about $150 at Video Games Plus.

Aside from hooking up to your TV I'd say the VS-R is the way to go because it supports multiplayer. And also you can run pirated games on it with the EverSD, which I think is totally fair for the stuff that's out-of-print like the Oliver Twins Collection and Piko vol 1.

(There are a couple other models which I haven't tried. And the original Evercade, which I got for about $50 on eBay and which is cool but showing its age a bit at this point.)

Friday wrote:Also, the game dev side of me is VERY interested in the indie games, because I think it's neat from a design perspective to limit yourself to old hardware specs but have the benefit of decades of iterative design. I imagine that those indie games are pretty fuckin' good.

My one gripe is that they're too fucking verbose.

Well, not all of them. But too goddamn many of them.

Crystalis is the appropriate amount of expository opening scene. If you want to go longer than that, you have to earn it, by being like the fourth game in a series, damn it.

Anyway. Like I said, the indies are a highlight but they're not exclusive to the Evercade; you can generally get them for PC and what do you know, there's a Steam Sale on right now. You can currently get Alwa's Awakening and Cathedral for under $8 total; the Evercade cart with those two games goes for $20. (It comes with a box and manual, though; that part's pretty cool.)

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:12 am

Crystalis is the appropriate amount of expository opening scene.

1997, Oct 1

The END DAY
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:22 am

I'd have probably spent more time talking about the crazy variety of unlicensed NES games available for the Evercade, except most of them aren't available anymore (as my post alludes, they lost the Codemasters license and those games are out of print and the Oliver Twins collection in particular is expensive to buy secondhand).

There are still some interesting unlicensed titles here and there, though. Piko Collection 4 has Mermaids of Atlantis (the G-rated version of Bubble Bath Babes).