It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Thad

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:09 pm

BTW, if you want to check Linux/Proton compatibility, protondb.com is the place to do it.

It's crowdsourced, YMMV based on your distro and configuration, and the people submitting the ratings don't always respect the guidelines for them ("Platinum - minor graphical glitches" is not a thing, guys; if it's got graphical glitches, then it's Gold at best), but it's a good guideline. And of course Steam's generous return period means you can install a game, check and see if it runs, and return it if it doesn't.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:27 am

Apparently the latest Steam update now allows you to run arbitrary .exe files inside Proton.

I haven't tried it yet. But I expect that for a lot of use-cases, external installers/launchers like Lutris shouldn't be necessary anymore; you should be able to install a non-Steam game within Steam, then launch it under Proton with the usual Steam wrapper stuff (controller support etc.).

I'm guessing Lutris will still be useful for games that don't work in Proton out of the box and need some additional configuration/third-party libraries/different versions of WINE/DXVK/etc. to run.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:22 pm

Steam Deck is Valve’s Switch-like portable PC: Starting at $399 this December

I don't love the D-pad/button placement, but I like that it's got a D-pad at all.

Not much about it yet. I assume it'll run SteamOS rather than Windows.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:56 pm

Oh gods they've put Steam fucking controller touchpads in the central thumb positions haven't they. Never mind then, hard pass.

Part of their problem here is that the competition for the 'Steam games on Switch like hardware' role is an actual Switch, hacked to run Android.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:00 pm

Yeah, I'm not so sure about the ergonomics. But this tidbit in the FAQ is interesting:

Do I need a Steam account to use Steam Deck?
The default Steam Deck experience requires a Steam account (it's free!). Games are purchased and downloaded using the Steam Store. That said, Steam Deck is a PC so you can install third party software and operating systems.

So nothing locked down. You can install games from GOG or Itch or, one assumes since it's Arch-based, the AUR if you want to, or hook it up to a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and use it as a PC. Or if there's a game you want that doesn't work with Proton, you can just install Windows on it instead.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:50 pm

Problem: Base HD is 64 GB, which is pretty small if you're planning to play PC games.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:55 pm

My batting average with Valve hardware is pretty abysmal*, but a handheld that'll let me install a firewall on it instead of quietly inserting Google tracking into the OS layer after a year is worth giving a chance.

* I actually LIKE the Steam Controller, but there aren't many uses for it that aren't a gimmick. **

** My aunt designed the plant that manufactured Steam Controllers so I'm kinda giving her shit here.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:33 pm

zaratustra wrote:Problem: Base HD is 64 GB, which is pretty small if you're planning to play PC games.

Yeah, not great, and I'm not sure if it's upgradable.

I think it's got a microSD slot, but reading games from microSD ain't exactly ideal either.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:38 am

Thad wrote:
zaratustra wrote:Problem: Base HD is 64 GB, which is pretty small if you're planning to play PC games.

Yeah, not great, and I'm not sure if it's upgradable.

I think it's got a microSD slot, but reading games from microSD ain't exactly ideal either.

I've seen two people say they emailed Gabe Newell asking if the base storage was upgradable, and he reportedly said it is via a 2230 NVMe drive. Hearsay and all that, but maybe?

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:04 am

Bulk storage at home shouldn't be an issue assuming you can plug whateverthehell drives into the dock, but can it access a proper wired local network connection or is that getting jammed into the usb-c with everything else?

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:18 pm

hngkong wrote:I've seen two people say they emailed Gabe Newell asking if the base storage was upgradable, and he reportedly said it is via a 2230 NVMe drive. Hearsay and all that, but maybe?

On the one hand, entirely sensible.

On the other hand, terrible, TERRIBLE timing.

...which is how Valve hardware rolls, so yeah, almost assuredly true.

(Also obviously true since preorder options are up and there are standard bundles with the drive included.)

Anyway I slept on the preorder date and they've opened it up to scalpers so I'm going to wait and see instead of wait 9 months for them to ship an overhyped disappointment again. Not that there's anything left in this world that doesn't match that description, but.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:20 pm

I'm kind of surprised of the broad appeal the thing has seemed to have. I can understand if you're someone who was already in the market for this kind of handheld PC emulator and this is just a good, cheaper option. But I think a lot of people buying this as a "switch replacement" are going to be very disappointed in the actual utility.