Game musings and news

Thad

Re: Game musings and news

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:41 pm

Quake remaster out now for PC, consoles with new expansion

The remastered Quake is available now on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One, and is playable through backward compatibility on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. On PC, Steam and Bethesda Launcher users who already own Quake will automatically receive the new version with a free download.

In terms of visuals, players can expect improved lighting and models, dynamic shadows, motion blur, and anti-aliasing. The game’s score, produced by Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor, is also included. Expansion packs Scourge of Armagon, Dissolution of Eternity, and Dimension of the Past (the new, MachineGames-created add-on), are now included as part of the standard Quake package. More details are available at Bethesda’s announcement.

I don't know anything about Quake source ports or whether they support any of this new content, but I suspect that if they don't now they will eventually.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:50 pm

If all the yelling is over, this is pretty cool: Reporters Without Borders made a virtual library in Minecraft for use in places with book censorship

I'm not sure how well it'd actually work, but I still dig this kind of stuff
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:19 pm

I think that's the only non-bullshit real world application of blockchain tech I ever heard.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:26 pm

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:36 pm

lmaoooo that mic drop

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:27 am

Welp

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:52 am

Is... is that minepokecraftmons?

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:26 am

It looks like a high effort joke video, but appears to be a genuine game project on Steam. The developers Pocketpair have a habit of never graduating from early access though.

Whatever happens, this sort of nonsense is the best outcome from the fall of Game Freak.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:01 pm

I wondered for years why we didn't see more indie devs riffing on Final Fantasy Tactics, and it's nice to see it finally happening.

Never did finish...that other one with the hopelessly generic name that keeps sliding off my brain.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:55 am

I wondered for years why we didn't see more indie devs riffing on Final Fantasy Tactics

I always just assumed it was because FFT was a horrifically complex game with ten-thousand moving parts and to even halfway emulate it would be a task of herculean stamina and determination.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:17 pm

Yeah but we've got a million indie games based on Spelunky and Super Metroid and it's not like those are easy to competently imitate.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:19 pm

A couple weeks back, China announced it was going to ban children under 18 from playing video games, which - even with Chinese state controls - is just lolol.

Well, to further the War On Drugs Vidja Games China is indefinitely banning the publishing of new online games (unsure if that includes new video games of any sort, the article isn't clearly worded on that point).

lmao, popcorn, etc.

Favourite comment so far:
So "Xi Jinping Thought" is just juiced up Boomerism?

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:02 pm

I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone this, but there are a hell of a lot of people who make their living doing computer things who became interested in computer things through video games. When old people try to keep kids away from whatever the popular entertainment of the day is, they're not just depriving them of their generation's common cultural reference points, they're also hobbling their opportunities at tomorrow's careers.

There's a lot of shit Kids Today are into whose appeal I don't get at all. I hope it brings them some joy and helps them understand the world and the time they live in. Ain't nobody forcing me to participate; I'll just be over here enjoying my old man hobbies like, uh, video games.

I read an interview with Frank Zappa once where they asked him if he liked the music his kids listened to, and his response was along the lines of "No, but that's okay; my parents didn't like the music I listened to either." That's about how I feel about it (I mean I actually do like the same music as my parents, but there's plenty else where our tastes diverge).

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:08 pm

Thad wrote:I wondered for years why we didn't see more indie devs riffing on Final Fantasy Tactics, and it's nice to see it finally happening.

Never did finish...that other one with the hopelessly generic name that keeps sliding off my brain.

Have you tried Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark?

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:58 pm

pacobird wrote:
Thad wrote:that other one with the hopelessly generic name that keeps sliding off my brain.

Have you tried Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark?

That's the one.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:50 pm

lol