Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:02 pm

Has anyone here ever played Path of Exile in the past? I hate to be one of those "Can I have your stuff?" guys, but... can I have your stuff?

I'm trying to get back in, but I'm stuck in one of those "Need loot to make currency to buy things to be able to farm loot." shitholes, and while it's a mediocre game even at it's very best (which ain't much), it's one of the very few Starr and I are both still able to play together and interested in doing so. At this point in the game starting from scratch is a years-long op for someone with my mediocre skills.

So many things have been nerfed so hard over the years that even a lot of formerly common junk - like basic ubiquitous utility flasks - can be quite valuable. So it's okay if you "never got anything good".

Anyway, I think most of you were probably too smart to buy into GGG's shit, but just in case, I'm asking.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:54 am

This has been getting shared around the Skyrim community. It might be the best changelog update I've ever seen on a game mod.
Version 5.5
4. NPCs now poop themselves while being electrocuted. (see pics)

Version 5.6
3.Reduced the amount of poop generated during electrocutions to just one load.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:32 am

Hey guys! Did I mention that Kiddo 02 is showing interest in video games? We like running around in Animal Crossing, but she's... still... figuring out... which buttons...
Version 5.5
4. NPCs now poop themselves while being electrocuted. (see pics)[???]

Version 5.6
3.Reduced the amount of poop generated during electrocutions to just one load.

Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:10 am

About 10 years late, I'm finally getting into what I've heard repeatedly is the beat Diablo 2 clone: Grim Dawn: Definite Edition.

It's okay, it's fine.

You make a build with two of a selection of 10 classes, skill trees are big enough you could spend all your points in just one class tree and still not fill it. So there's a lot going on there, and that's probably the best thing it has going. I'm having a hard time judging actual gameplay with a pretty inactive pet build, but difficulty seems to be practically non-existent for grunts, with most story bosses being stone walls I break down with chained failed attempts as the rest of the room clears out and they don't heal between resurrections.

I have some issues with the map. It's huge, and sprawling, which is nice. But portals are sparse and everything respawns if you log out. I've had two days with the game sitting in the background all day and playing until like 2am just so I can end the session with an obvious 1-2 pathes near portals,and not end up redoing the entire area just to get back to current progress (while mobs aren't a threat, you can't just run through a map without getting swarmed). Add to that the fact that there are no quest markers, no custom map markers, and all caves/dungeon entrances only show up on the map if you're close enough, and it becomes a real pain in the ass to get around. I had left a side quest undone for a map area and when I tried to go back the only clues I had were a cave name and the name of the npc who gave it to me. The cave was "blood gulch" let's say, which was about a 2-minute walk from the closest portal in Burrowhelm. Then the questgiver was at a small camp just far enough outside the Old Antlivia portal to have to walk around for them to show up. I would have had to essentially replay the game up to those areas to find them without a wiki. Really terrible design there, imo. You need really good directions with no map markers.

Also less of an issue in a big, single-player game than a f2pmmo where everything scales, but it has rare drop skill modifying gear. Which I hate. One of my main skills summons a ghost out of an enemy that kills them and disappears. If I'm lucky at max level (of which I am just over half at about the end of a first run) I'll get a set of armor that makes the ghost hang around and stack. I want that, I want to build to that, but it would be ridiculous and make the game impossible. I could change skill points late game if I get the armor, but it's still meh to me. Which leads into my second biggest issue: limited respecs.

AFAIK it's possible to refund all your skill points forever. But it's likely going to become prohibitively expensive to keep doing for experimentation. There is no way to change your classes, of which one is chosen before game start and one likely just before the first boss (if you're clearing maps). There doesn't seem to be any way to refund attribute points either, which I don't think would make a huge impact with endgame stats, but is annoying for min-maxing. Lastly there's a separate leveling system with a lot going on. You unlock points through challenges, they can be respeced at cost. But it's a big constellation map with no way to list all the rewards for individual star choices or full constellations. And there's an in-system color point unlocking system which restricts your path from existing choices based on what colors a full constellation rewards you, to be used unlocking more complex constellations. But you can't see what the color reward will be from a specific constellation unless you already have the right colors to unlock it. So either frustrating experimentation with an in-game cost or, again, a wiki is needed.

Thats pretty much it. I have a pirated copy and, even with it seemingly having a 100+ hour single playthrough with all dlc, seeing they want $50 for it despite most of the content being over 5 years old made me scoff. If you love DII or dungeon looters in general you'll probably get a lot out of this, there's even choices that actually impact gameplay you can remake each run. But I don't really think it's worth full price, personally.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:37 pm

I keep hearing the Xbox Series controller has the best D-pad of the current generation of consoles, and I was skeptical because (1) the damn thing looks like they took the weird PlayStation design with the recessed middle, slapped it on a Genesis-style circle pad, and then recessed the whole fucking thing and (2) I owned the Xbox 360 and it had the worst D-pad of any first-party controller I've ever used, but I heard enough good things that when I saw they're on sale I bought one, and god damn, that is a good D-pad. I need to put some more miles on it; so far all I've done is put in a few hours on ActRaiser Renaissance. But I was very pleased with how it handled on the platforming stages.

I hear it's a real bastard to get the Bluetooth to pair on Linux, but at the moment I can't get fucking any controller to pair with the computer in my living room and I've given up for the moment and just bought some long-ass USB cables, and it works fine cabled; Steam recognizes it, no configuration required. (I'm hoping at some point I run an update and my Bluetooth problem goes away, but of course Bluetooth is never going to not suck entirely.) Planning on rebuilding that computer some time in the next few months anyway.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:24 pm

Aground is a Terraria-like that dares ask the question "What if a scripted plot event destroys everything you've built, several hours in?"

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:46 am

Aground, several hours of gameplay later:

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:04 pm

Not my playthrough but someone found a goddamn great easter egg in Avorion (there's a fair few, especially among these randomly generated faction ships, but no one's ever seen this before).