Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

sei

Re: Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Postby sei » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:46 pm

Baldur's Gate 3 is fun. I can't tell whether Lae'Zel or Karlach are more conspicuous Friday bait, but I'm guessing the latter.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:33 pm

Starfield is a large improvement on the bethesda formula in regards to style, graphics, and ease-of-use. None of these features make it more fun than any skyrim or FO4. Most of the game is using menus to find out where to fast travel to. It's good for giving you something to do in any given random spot you can choose, but I'm pretty sure does not count as "open world".

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:50 pm

Randos in Daryl's Tomb can cast X-Zone. Okay, R^2, I see what you're talking about now; this hack just went from fun-challenging to bullshit-challenging. Might be time to look up some Game Genie codes. At least see if I can cheat some Safety Bits into my inventory.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:38 am

I don't remember that happening to me -- I'm sure I would have brought it up! -- but ha ha yeah that do be how it is.

I thiiiiiiink the Safety Bit is in either the Ancient Castle or maybe the Cultist's Tower. I found it late enough that when I ran into enemies that bullshitted instadeath I just sighed and put Shadow and Relm into the party for lack of it. (Relm starts with her Memento Ring like usual, and you can get the second one if you take both Strago and Relm upstairs in their house in the WoR, rather than just checking the wall of the room for a hidden chest in vanilla.)

But in Daryl's Tomb it's not like that's an option. X-Zone on any enemy is a terrible idea, but on some mook in a dungeon where you have a set party (plus or minus Sabin) and few equipment options is even worse. This mod is one of the most popular but god damn if I can figure out why.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:59 am

I think M-Evade might be effective because it never hit Sabin on my first try when he had a Knight's Code on (I did get party-wiped, but not by X-Zone). And I can try Silence, but god damn having to start every battle casting Silence multiple times is going to get tedious in a hurry.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:54 am

Hot damn, son, I believe what we have here is one of those rare, rare cases where a spell is resisted by Stamina, so Sabin has slightly better natural resistance than the others. But Magic Evade also plays a part, so if you're boosting that then you're turning Sabin into a not-getting-sucked-into-the-Dimensional-Rift machine.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:29 pm

I rejiggered my equipment -- you know, typically I just go with "Best" except for whoever's using the Atma Weapon or if I need to take off weapons with a particular affinity, but I need to get out of that habit in this version -- and they haven't X-Zoned me since so I think it's probably a counter to a particular type of attack.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:54 am

F-Zero 99 falls into the same trap as early Fall Guys or Tetris 99: the first race is a clusterfuck of chaos and luck, but the rest of the match after that is a more and more skilled direct competition. Definitely getting all that mess up front is a good way to do it, but it gets a little frustrating to have to cross your fingers through it as a new player before you get to emptier maps where you can actually learn the tracks / to drive. I would probably remake it with just a single like, 10 lap race, with eliminations, but I could see that being too long and boring for replayability. Still, I like any BR that is a genre other than shooter, and I think racing BRs specifically have a lot to work with. I think it's a good move in a direction I like.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:38 pm

Starfield 70 hour update: If you're the kind of person still doing FO4 of Skyrim playthroughs than this is the ultimate game experience for you. And no one else.

Armored Core 6: Everyone was so busy talking about difficulty I haven't seen anyone actually talk about the way the multiple endings play out is the most bloodborne aspect. I still think if it wasn't day 1 for you there's no reason not to wait for a sale. But for a game that makes you play through it 3 times I have to admit that still wasn't enough for me to get bored with combat.

Sands of Aura: Early access steam game that I've had for a while and came up with some other titles I never touched when I realized one of them had to be better than Starfield. It was this one. That's not good at defining it though, it was just the game that actually made me want to keep playing it when I turned it off. A (sigh) souls-like top-down action game where you travel between islands in a sea of sand and fight big 'ol bosses. At first I wasn't sure about the type of challenge, but after giving it some time I've decided the combat is indeed tight enough for the intricacies of the fight mechanics. The biggest issue for me is the sand sailing stuff. I was really expecting it to be a main part of the experience, but it's more of a level select gimmick. Right now it really suffers as there's very little direction in quests, so all you can do is sail for 5 minutes through nothing to get to the closest visible spot, and half of them are currently not accessible. They claim to be in post-production, but it's still live in version .4-something. I'm very excited for the full release getting rid of those issues and making it a game I can highly recommend.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:48 pm

motha

fuckin

lies of PPPPPPPP BITCH

hi, i'm niku and i am not what you would call a "dark souls" or a "fromsoft" fan because actually what i am is a bloodborne fan and i do not give a shit about any other game in the catalogue. why is this when the gameplay is so rock solid and right up my alley for trial and error and perfectionism? it's because of ~aesthetics~!! fuck off, dark fantasy. see you later, feudal japan. don't care. but victorian werewolf cthulhus is exactly what i need in my life. do you know what else i need? belle-epoque cyberpunk pinocchio.

holy shit, lies of p is good. it's the bloodborne 2 i've been wanting forever that from and sony refuse to give me. mechanically it does its own thing but also you will never find a from-rip off that has done their homework more than this game. encounter design, combat flow, level layouts, it feels like from made this thing almost start to finish and then let some other developer put their name onto it.

what does it do different? well, the rally system from bloodborne is here but you gotta work for it. instead of getting a nice chunk of healable health whenever you get hit, you only get that chunk if you blocked the attack in the first place. but what if you don't want chip damage at all!?

well you better learn to hit the frame perfect parry every goddamn time in what i am told is significantly harder than sekiro's parry system and let me tell you, i did not learn to do this until the final boss when i fucking absolutely had to because i am a dodgey-boy, but it felt so goddamn good to do it anyway

more importantly you know how every game's weapons completely suck compared to bloodborne? i mean why can't YOUR weapons transform?? NOT PINOCCHIO, YA BOY GOT YOU COVERED. not only is every weapon (with a few special exceptions) comprised of two parts, a blade and a handle, but you can mix and match them like lego pieces. if you get a cool-ass fire dagger with a puny little reach, you can put that fire dagger on the end of a halberd and reach out and burn someone. if you want to basically have a buzzsaw arm like Judge Goddamn Doom, you can put a spinning electric blade of death on a tiny little rapier grip. but why do this?

because every single handle can be adjusted to scale with your stat preferences and has its own moveset/animations, while every blade has its own damage factors and/or elemental abilities, and both blades and handles come with one special move a piece so when you mix and match the elements you can also mix and match the special moves. if you're dex (technique, in this game) but wanna use that giant fucking hammer, just wind the hammer handle with a technique crank so that now it scales with technique instead of strength and fits your build. the customization and the options with the weapons are nuts.

(i still spent most of the game using "what works" but gonna play around a lot more in ng+; the game is way less stingy with weapon upgrades than bloodborne is by the end)

and man, the aesthetics, the music! fuckin' cyber-puppet france rules. you fight a giant theatrical puppet with accordion arms in front of a stage in an opera house! all of the animal people from pinocchio are hunters get-out-of-here stalkers with cool-ass animal masks and you can kick their asses and wear them yourself! there are giant bosses you can hug they ass and little guys who are like you but faster and some guys who throw cosmic-ass projectiles at you and basically every from standard is represented well. this game fucking slaps.

the only complaint i have has entirely to do with the "true ending" of the game that i got, which mega-spoilers but i have to talk about it anyway because while in the grand history of children's fiction i think pinocchio is pretty fucking cool, the post-credits scene teases a sequel with GODDAMN DOROTHY ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME THIS GAME NEEDS TO MAKE A BILLION DOLLARS SO I CAN HAVE WIZARD OF OZ SOULS, GODDAMNIT OZ IS MY FAVORITE FUCKING THING WHY IS THIS NOT INJECTED INTO MY VEINS RIGHT NOW

anyway "pinocchio bloodborne" is the stupidest concept ever dreamt up and it's my favorite thing all year and it's not even close

if you have game pass you need to download it like right now

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:15 pm

I actually love Bloodborne more than life itself and the only reason I rate Elden Ring higher is because it's fun to explore a big magic world and I love exploring

Bloodborne is better in every other category, combat, theme, aesthetics, weapons, rally, monsters, dash instead of roll, no fucking shields and barely any magic, guns, gun parry, CAINHURST, THE BEST ZONE IN ANY GAME, etc
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:28 pm

you know what else rules about lies of p is that in most games, bosses are immune to all the cool systems a game implements. so regarding that perfect parry i mentioned, every time you hit it you build up an invisible stagger meter; top off the stagger meter, and the enemy's health will flash white. this won't let you do the fatal attack immediately, but instead, you now have to smash them with a full R2 combo / charge attack, at which point they will stagger and you can do a fatal attack for ~*massive damage~*. this is consistent from basically every mook that you'll never bother doing this to on all the way up to bosses.

BUT even cooler is when you pull off a perfect parry, any enemy that has a weapon you will see that weapon flash red. if you perfect parry them enough times, their weapon just fucking snaps in half permanently and now they do way less damage.

YOU CAN ALSO DO THIS TO BOSSES. not every boss has a weapon for the breaking, and not every single boss weapon IS breakable, but so many of them are that i'm frankly just astonished they didn't just say "no, bosses are immune to your bullshit" like most other games do. one of the three possible status effects you can inflict on enemies even fucks up their durability even more if you stack it onto them, and no boss that i can think of is immune to the status effects. there is one boss in particular where the common wisdom already is that since they get harder with every 25% of their life bar that you do, you just want to spend the first thirty seconds parrying them over and over again until their giant Guts sword breaks.

(not me, i just chucked firebombs into his face until he died because throwable and consumable objects actually kinda rule in some fights)

unfortunately, lies of p does not have a cainhurst.

but it does have an opera house with robot marie antoinette driders.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:16 pm

Thad wrote:Thinking I'll skip Cyan and go Gau, then Relm, then Strago, then circle back to Cyan in this playthrough.

Oh right, you can't actually do that (at least, not if you picked up Sabin, which I did). You need an empty slot in your party to recruit Gau, and you need an extra party member wandering around the airship to rearrange your party.

Terra would, hypothetically, be the quickest party member to recruit, but nope, I don't have the levels to take on Humbaba yet so I went ahead and picked up Cyan after all.

Mt. Zozo is manageable but tedious, and highlights what I think may be the biggest problem with this mod: the lack of a holistic view of how individual parts work together. To wit: Blitzes and Tools are affected by the Evade stat now, but not by the Sniper Eye. IOW the mod changes some sure-hit skills so that it's possible for them to miss, but doesn't change them so that they're affected by the accessory that's supposed to give you a 100% hit rate.

It's manageable -- the enemies are tougher but not too tough, and magic-like skills (Aura Cannon, Bioblaster) seem to hit just fine -- but it's just a sign of changing one particular thing and not considering how that stacks with other factors in the game.

This is similar to the very first thing I observed as being tough-and-also-unfair, all the way back at the Lethe River: the mod makes it easier for Bannon to get one-shotted, instant game over, and also removes the ability to level up and keep those levels if you die.

It's amateur stuff.

But I'll give it this: it's talented amateur stuff.

To the question of why everybody talks about this mod with such reverence even if it's not necessarily very fun: it's the effort and the presentation. This thing is jam-packed with graphics, music, new scenes and dialogue, new enemies...it's really damned impressive, and the question of whether it's fun to play is honestly a secondary concern. (Though it probably doesn't hurt its reputation that the first half of the game is mostly tough-but-fair; there are bits in the WoB that feel a little cheap but it doesn't start to feel like the norm until the WoR.) There are just so many changes, so many surprises, and yeah it's got some serious problems with balance but it's really quite an achievement even so.

The horrible off-key version of Corridors of Time in Mt. Zozo is like a metaphor for the whole experience -- on the one hand, it sounds awful, and it's kind of baffling that anyone would use this awful rendition when the original version was already a SNES chiptune, but on the other hand, hey, he put a Chrono Trigger song in FF6!

I am kinda curious how the rebalanced 3.x plays. But not enough that I have any intention of starting it over any time soon.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:46 am

yeah i fuckin love this game

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:47 am

And that's....

no lie
signature