Hot game deals

Thad

Re: Hot game deals

Postby Thad » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:31 pm

Dammit, now I have to figure out if I already own it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:02 pm

Steam and Nintendo both have sales on. Mostly the Steam sale has better deals (eg Bravely Default 2 is $30 on Steam and $42 on the Nintendo shop), though I note they've both got the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection for $15. I've been thinking of picking that up since I've only ever played two of the games (the first Zero and the first ZX). You can turn off that smeary graphical filter, right?

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:42 pm

Microsoft: Join 5 Various Xbox Insider Previews of Classic Games!

We are excited to announce that Xbox Insiders on Windows PC are invited to preview Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, HeXen: Beyond Heretic, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, The Elder Scrolls: Arena, and Quake Champions. With the original release of some of these games more than 20 years ago, Bethesda is looking for feedback as they bring them to the Microsoft Store on Windows. We hope you enjoy and thank you for being an Xbox Insider!

Arena and Quake Champions are already free downloads on Steam, but if you don't happen to already have Heretic or those two Hexens, they're available as free downloads right now. Though you're going to have to jump through some hoops, like installing the Xbox Insider Hub app.

They come in DOSbox wrappers but unless they pulled some kind of encryption nonsense you should be able to run them in GZDoom or whatever.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:20 pm

Guacamelee 2 Complete $6 for Switch.

Also, looks like there's a Mega Man sale on for consoles but not PC. If you've got a PS4 (or 5) the 30th Anniversary Bundle for $30 is probably your most cost-effective choice, depending on how much of it you've already bought piecemeal. (Includes Mega Man 11 plus the Mega Man/X Legacy Collections, but not the Zero/ZX Legacy Collection. Which...is currently full price on PSN, but half-price on Switch and Xbox. This Mega Man sale is weird, y'all.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:09 pm

Sony's still got a big sale on, and just added more games to it. Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, God of War 2018, Kena, and Spider-Man: Miles Morales are all on sale (via PSN and, for those of us who are more into physical editions, many of them are also on sale at retailers like Target and Best Buy). Yakuza: LAD and Tony Hawk 1&2 are both free if you've got PS Plus.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:38 pm

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:03 pm

God I love it when game designers know how to write a description.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:35 pm

Shadow of Mordor is free on GOG if you have Amazon Prime.

Assassins Creed: Origins is free on the Ubisoft store, again if you have Amazon Prime.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:32 pm

Death's Gambit: Afterlife, a sidescrolling Dark Souls, 40% off so that's under $10

https://store.steampowered.com/app/3566 ... Afterlife/

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:43 pm

Some good TGS sales on Steam, including Capcom and SE.

It seems like both publishers have started to fall out of love with Denuvo, too; FF15 has it but I didn't see it listed on anything else I checked.

Sega still seems pretty into the whole Denuvo thing (it's on the just-released PC versions of the Judgment games), but are they the last ones?

I'm tempted to buy that Capcom Fighting Collection; never got into Darkstalkers but it sure looks pretty. Realistically, though, I've got a bunch of Capcom fighters I've barely touched.

I don't play a lot of fighting games, but back in the '90s SF2, X-Men, et al were my jam. Actually in hindsight I wish I'd played more SNK fighters; sadly, SNK does not currently have a sale on.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:42 pm

Fighting games are pretty empty experiences without friends interested in the same game, IMO. Random matchmaking in old games will likely give you sweaty lifers, not random dudes who got curious about a 20+ year old game.

Better to clutter your backlog with things you can get the full experience of.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:37 pm

Yeah, probably true.

Though playing through the Cowabunga Collection has me considering that anything by Digital Eclipse is probably worth checking out just for the historical materials bundled with it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:38 pm

Humble, Steam, and GOG all have 505 Games sales on. Prices seem similar. GOG has a smaller selection (eg no Death Stranding) but remains DRM-free.

Looks like there are some 505 deals on the consoles too.

And this isn't a 505 game but I see Sony's got Ghost of Tsushima down to $35 and dangit they're really trying to get me to buy it. I know I'm going to buy it eventually (they had me at "protagonist named after Stan Sakai"), but I keep telling myself I should play the other open-world games I've already got and wait for a PC release.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:51 pm

Fanatical has some Bethesda deals going on. Your Fallouts, your Elder Scrollseseses, and so forth.

You know, I've never played a Fallout. Should I try one? I gather 3 was better-reviewed on release but a lot of people looking back seem to think New Vegas is the better one.

The Switch version of Inside is $2. I don't know much about it but apparently it's pretty highly-regarded. And it's $2.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:13 pm

bethesda games are all bad

inside is real good, especially for $2; it (and limbo) is a sort of prince of persia-esque in terms of momentum and movement puzzle platformer. never too taxing on either the puzzling or the platforming, and some neat dreary atmosphere.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:37 pm

Niku wrote:bethesda games are all bad

But New Vegas is the one that's actually Obsidian, right?

inside is real good, especially for $2; it (and limbo) is a sort of prince of persia-esque in terms of momentum and movement puzzle platformer. never too taxing on either the puzzling or the platforming, and some neat dreary atmosphere.

I've never played Limbo but it appears that I own it.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:51 pm

You can tell from the dialogue options, actual diverging choices on even side quests, and good use of skill options for quest that New Vegas is Obsidian. But it's still built of a Bethesda game. FO3 has some high points matching NV, but overall you'll find more to fuck off on, and a better main story, in New Vegas.

FO2 is, gameplay-wise, a better experience than FO1. If you also haven't tried the classics. If you enjoy it enough you'd get just as much out of seeing things you recognize from it in 1 as you would from 1 to 2.

FO4 isn't bad, but has an audience that we generally aren't. FO76 should never be touched by the hands of the pure.

Edit: I thought it was dumb they were selling just the base games and dlc separately. But actually, if you get FONV, don't get the Gun Runner's pack or the Courier's Stash. The amount of shit that clogs your inventory at character creation is one of the biggest complaints in the final game.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:25 pm

Yeah, I got 1, 2, and Tactics from GOG back in the day but haven't played them either.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:43 pm

Having just played Fallout 3 for the first time I honestly can't recommend it in general. If you have a big backlog of other games you haven't played yet, you might as well spend your six bucks on a couple donuts and a coffee to eat while you play those.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:47 pm

Way ahead of you.