IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Hot game deals

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:16 pm

(If you subscribe to the newsletter.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:00 pm

Endless Space Collection free at Humble.
Brentai wrote:(If you subscribe to the newsletter.)

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:12 pm

And now it's just... free on Steam. Huh.

The real funny thing is I actually paid for it on PS4.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:11 pm

Freespace 2 free on GOG.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Humble Monthly is being retooled to offer fewer games for more money. They haven't given an exact date yet, but they said it'll be 2019, so, y'know, sometime in the next two months or so.

If you sign up for Humble Monthly before the switch, you'll get grandfathered in and get to keep paying the current rate, in case that's something anybody's interested in doing. The current monthly bundle includes the Crash and Spyro remakes and CoD WWII as early unlocks, with the rest of the included titles to be unveiled at the beginning of November, plus access to the Humble Trove, which has a few dozen, mostly indie games available as DRM-free downloads. Plus discounts at the Humble Store.

I decided to sign up (again). I don't know how long I'll keep paying for it (too damn many games already), but I figured $12 for Crash ain't bad.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:39 pm

If you get grandfathered in at the lower cost, as long as you don't cancel, you can pause a month at a time to not pay for that month and keep the grandfathering.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:20 pm

The Humble Store has a Female Protagonist sale on. The last three Tomb Raider games are on sale (and Shadow is coming to Mac and Linux on November 5, courtesy of Feral), and so are Bayonetta and the just-released Indivisible, which I hear good things about; it's a Metroidvania platformer with a Valkyrie Profile-inspired combat system, from the creators of Skullgirls, and it looks gorgeous (and I haven't checked out the soundtrack, but as the composer is SoM's Hiroki Kikuta, I bet it sounds gorgeous too).

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:01 pm

Indivisible's good, if you don't mind a little... okay a LOT of pandering to the the subculture (one of the NPCs is Zone-tan trying to sell vials of an unidentified liquid, that's where that is), but the Valkyrie Profile inspiration only runs skin deep. It plays so much like an RPG-lite in its final form that it's actually even somewhat less involved than Mystic Quest. There's no equipment, no items, no currency, you heal after most battles, the levels are so abstracted that you needn't pay any attention to them, and there are so many save points that it may as well be save-anywhere. The only real progression is a steadily rising XP meter, a single type of collectible, and an ever-growing roster of weirdos to play around with. So it's pretty much a platforming game with VP-esque combat, and the main draws are the atmosphere and messing around with different party compositions. The party members themselves get more mechanically complex and strange as you progress - you start out with "guy with big sword" and the latest unit I got, for example, is a pair of dead twins who attack by playing Dead Man's Volley with opponents and expand part of your magic meter to switch off so the ball does different things when it hits. So yeah, fun, but uhh... very much not an in-depth RPG, if that's what you were expecting.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Bought Indivisible. Enjoying it so far.

Main gripe is that I'm getting framerate jank any time it scrolls horizontally. Tried it on two computers (both with AMD graphics). It doesn't really affect gameplay, but it's a minor annoyance.

Turning off ambient occlusion seems to help a little, but no other changes to video settings seem to have any effect; I get the same minor stuttering at minimum settings as I do with everything maxed out except ambient occlusion.

(Also I couldn't set it to a higher resolution than 1920x1080, even on my desktop which runs 2560x1440.)

Still, it's good; the graphics are gorgeous, the writing is decent enough, the combat's pretty simple, like you say. I love the opening theme but haven't been crazy about the rest of the music so far, but then again, there were a lot of tunes in SoM that I didn't love in among the ones that I did.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:18 pm

Talk about the music again once you've found the nightclub.

On the fence between being disappointed that Meridian Dance Crucial Fixture isn't the theme for every boss, and being relieved that not every boss theme is Meridian Dance.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:18 pm

I'm a little freaked out that nobody is acknowledging that there is some kind of diaper lizard following Ajna around everywhere she goes. I think she acknowledged the diaper lizard in the very beginning of the game, but nobody else has said anything about it since.

Like, when you recruit Pyro Raven, there's a line about "Will you join us?" and she says "What do you mean, 'us'?" And I'm like, look, I know you can't see the asshole guy who's inside my brain, but there's clearly a diaper lizard sitting right there. Is nobody else able to see the diaper lizard?

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:08 am

I think the diaper lizard is DLC? I haven't encountered any point where Roti ever interacts with the world. I think it's just one more thing they didn't really have a place for in the final game but had to keep in some form because it was in the prototype.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:52 pm

Steam Autumn Sale is on.

You can get a Steam Controller for $5. Looks like they're closing the suckers out.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Wasteland 2 free at GOG.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:06 am

Tower of Time is free on GOG.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:22 pm

Humble has an animal - themed bundle on. $10 gets you Stardew Valley. There's some other stuff in there that looks good too, like Ultimate Chicken Horse.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:58 pm

Tomb Raider (2013) and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris are free on Steam until March 24. (That's free as in "put it in your cart and check out and you get to keep it forever", not "free to play until the deadline and then it stops working unless you pay for it.")

Various other free games (and a couple of these links are from Gaming on Linux, but in most cases the games should be available for Windows as well):
GOG's free game list

If you're self-isolating and in need, here's a bunch of awesome free Linux games

If you need an escape from reality there's some unique experiences free on itch.io right now

(Some of those stories are a few days old and some of the giveaways may have expired since; however, there should be a lot in there that's still available for free.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:44 pm

GOG Spring Sale is on. Disco Elysium is 25% off; I hear good things.

I'm tempted; it seems like the kind of game I could probably play with just the left side of a Steam Controller, and there's a Lutris installer for the GOG version that should let me play it on Linux without much trouble.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:43 pm

Thad wrote:GOG Spring Sale is on. Disco Elysium is 25% off; I hear good things.

I'm tempted; it seems like the kind of game I could probably play with just the left side of a Steam Controller, and there's a Lutris installer for the GOG version that should let me play it on Linux without much trouble.

The GOG sale is over but now you can get the same deal on Steam.

I opted not to get it from GOG because I can't get controllers to work as consistently outside of Steam as inside it. So this has me thinking about it again.

It seems like the kind of game that's inevitably going to show up in a Humble Bundle someday, but I might go ahead and pull the trigger anyway. Feeling a little bored with JRPGs at the moment; Earthbound and Azure Dreams are both great, but I might could use a change of scenery.

(Not to say that controllers work perfectly in Steam Play. I fired up the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection from the recent Capcom Humble Bundle the other day, and it recognized my arcade stick -- twice. I have the same problem with Pac-Man 256, but at least Pac-Man 256 is still playable if you're controlling two guys at once. It kinda reminds me of getting a multiball in a pinball game.)