Re: A Magical Gathering

Postby Friday » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:07 pm

I see also they have multi-classed into Druids

It's not worth the exp penalty imo
ImageImageImage

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:16 pm

I dunno, I think they just took a class level in the first place. It's hardly as thoughImage

... oh.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:01 pm

Pfffhahahaha

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:07 am

Couple things...

First, WotC just announced that banned and restricted updates will no longer be announced on fixed days. I suppose this is what happens when just about every other set ends up with a handful of cards getting banned in (at least) Standard.

Second, here's a perspective post from a game store owner on shutting down. While there's some sour grapes in there, he seems to have been a competent owner and the numbers are all familiar to me and seem accurate. Three years of utter chaos in re-re-restructuring Organized Play and the increasing promotion of digital over physical is really taking its toll on stores, which isn't particularly surprising.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Don't forget Amazon is also helping to kill him, just like it's killing... everything else.

But no it's cool just give your money to Amazon who practices slave labor right here in the United States
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:53 pm

Friday wrote:Don't forget Amazon is also helping to kill him, just like it's killing... everything else.

But no it's cool just give your money to Amazon who practices slave labor right here in the United States

Also that those Amazon sales cut out a step (I can't recall if it's Wizards themselves or the distributors who are doing the Amazon direct sales, but either way they're cutting out LGSs).

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Mongrel wrote:Second, here's a perspective post from a game store owner on shutting down. While there's some sour grapes in there, he seems to have been a competent owner and the numbers are all familiar to me and seem accurate. Three years of utter chaos in re-re-restructuring Organized Play and the increasing promotion of digital over physical is really taking its toll on stores, which isn't particularly surprising.

Additional context: This store is about 3-4 miles from WotC headquarters, so a bunch of Wizards employees play there; reportedly the Organized Play manager plays there frequently, if not weekly, lots of WotC employees showing up for EDH every week, etc. So this is actually going to noticeably impact WotC, although sadly it probably won't move the dial any for the folks making the boneheaded decisions.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:28 pm

dunno why they left out Colossal Dreadmaw and Chimney Imp, but there you go

atog

Postby atog » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:34 pm

Goblin Snowman looks a bit aspect-ratioed
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:40 pm

Cool. Meme cards that will be worth a dollar each. Wizards was working hard to undermine LGSs for years, now that the coronavirus is the last nail in the coffin for some, they send out novelty trash.

the fact that no-fun pushes up glasses my self reported IQ is 155 people like this exist just tickles me in a very special way

A FULL ART STORMCROW?! THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE TO TRUE INTELLECTUALS LIKE ME, WHO IS CURRENTLY IN A BASEMENT

the fact that the mtg community is fucking crawling with these dipshits is probably the worst thing about magic
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:44 pm

Friday wrote:
Cool. Meme cards that will be worth a dollar each. Wizards was working hard to undermine LGSs for years, now that the coronavirus is the last nail in the coffin for some, they send out novelty trash.

the fact that no-fun pushes up glasses my self reported IQ is 155 people like this exist just tickles me in a very special way

A FULL ART STORMCROW?! THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE TO TRUE INTELLECTUALS LIKE ME, WHO IS CURRENTLY IN A BASEMENT

the fact that the mtg community is fucking crawling with these dipshits is probably the worst thing about magic

This has basically been why I haven't actually *played* much MTG at all in, like, a decade.

The most fun I ever had was playing in a community group when I was in University that was full of middle-aged and older guys who were maybe STEM career nerds, or old D&D players, but were more or less normal, funny, ordinary people. There were younger guys too, but a lot of those had wandered into the game store and fallen in with this bunch or in a couple cases were the actual kids of the main players.

Most of these matches were big dumb grand melee things, using what was then the very early "Type 1.5" rules (Legacy, in it's most nascent form). One of my favourite memories was of a buddy at the time, a really cheery dad-joke kinda guy named Dave who was a senior electrician for some industrial whatsit and had two sons and one daughter old enough to play Magic. We had a lot of guys like that, but Dave ALWAYS brought at least one of his kids, and they had a lot of fun - the good kind when old guys who give no fucks lets kids play with them and try to make good games out of wildly different decks and skill levels (mass multiplayer with politicking is always a good mechanic for that).

Dave's oldest son Chris (who was like 12 or 13) was the one who always came no matter what, and no matter what happened or what was going on, Chris was ALWAYS trying to kill his dad. No matter what it seemed like he was doing, his end goal was always to somehow get his dad, and if Dave knocked Chris out anyway (cackling with evil-dad "Ya didn't get me this time!" glee), Chris would go and cheer on whoever it was was after his dad after that. The couple of times Chris actually managed to get Dave were hilariously epic. It really was like a big family thing instead of some gamer shit.

I remember those days and I get really sad, because like... I haven't seen or even heard of a play group like that in nearly 20 years. It's all just, you know, gamers. Sometimes they're sperglords and sometimes they're more or less normal, but like... even for casual players, Magic is somehow still serious business? Even if it's a bunch of buddies who get together and cube and have a good time, it's maybe fun, but it's not the same. And don't even get me fucking started on how the nominal "casual" format, EDH feels like it's become some kind of cock-and-balls-except-inside-your-head torture.

I'm groping for words here, but Magic somehow isn't just a game you might play the same as you might play any number of games that've been around for ages, where at a family gathering a bunch of folks might get together and play Hearts or Gin, or stuff like Uno or Monopoly. Magic feels like it's a "thing", a part of your identity beyond just being a game. But I guess that's also the case with "Gamer" being an identity. I mean, I fucking spend almost all of my free time playing games, but I can't think of myself as "A gamer" or as someone who has "Gamer concerns"; I don't follow "gamer current events" or read general gaming websites. I don't feel like I could claim it as part of my identity even if I DID do those things. If go to Magic events, I want to scream and run away, because it doesn't just feel like I have nothing in common with anyone there, it feels like the fucking Children of the Corn are all turning to look in my direction (even if they're, you know, not actually looking at me at all). I do not belong and I can feel it in my fucking marrow.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:05 pm

That Squire is the gift that keeps on giving.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:18 pm

This is real.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:21 pm

wow those stats and mana cost are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low

Godzilla is at LEAST a 99/99, an even match for the BFM
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:25 pm

also come on lets be real he has menance, firebreathing, annihilator 6, and rampage: 10
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:28 pm

"If Godzilla is removed from the battlefield, instead he falls into the sea and will return suspend him with 5 time counters"
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:38 pm