Diablo: What fresh hell is this?

Thad

Re: Diablo: What fresh hell is this?

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:26 pm

Friday wrote:Put another way, I hate Wal-Mart. I don't hate the people who shop there. I'm sure a lot of really cool people shop at Wal-Mart. But I'm not going to pretend to them that Wal-Mart isn't awful and does awful business practices.

14 years later:

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:03 pm

took me a moment.

wow that was a deep cut.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:43 pm

Friday wrote:took me a moment.

Yeah you missed some stuff.

wow that was a deep cut.

Well, you'd think, but...

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:07 pm

So uh, who the fuck was that after all?

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:33 am

Mongrel wrote:So uh, who the fuck was that after all?

I think it was Pathogen. He's still mad I made fun of him for thinking the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic was based on the cartoon.

atog

Postby atog » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:16 pm

Probably the most apt way of describing Diablo Immoral:

<WillyPfisterbum> a game designed for a generation of toddlers raised by being sat in a car seat with a phone
<_CastWhenRedditOutrage_> toddlers with moms cc obv
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:56 am

FWIW I have completely fallen off Immortal now. Made it into Hell 1 (from what I can tell maybe the top 5% of all servers have even made it to Hell 2) where everything requires a group. They wont even let you try to enter a dungeon solo.

I still never felt more compelled to spend money than I have in any game with a shop (in fact, I already got back into POGO thanks for #ff and spent $5 in outfits in the first day) and was surprised that more and more high grade items were showing up in runs. I even got lucky with a particularly good PvE gem from one of the limited (3 I think?) guaranteed legendary gem runs you get free.

The real thing that killed it for me was legendary gear abilities. They would make major changes to abilities, such as turning a cone attack into a movement skill with AoE on impact, that builds would rely on. But since this is a game that wants you to level forever, you're constantly finding new gear. There is a system for destroying the gear to swap abilities, but when you've had a good chest piece for 3 days that you don't want to lose the ability on, and that slot is also has a crux of your build, you either overwrite that ability without breaking down the gear and losing 1000 gear points in order to save it. Or you get frustrated you can't play the way you want on the class you put 80 hours into, and stop playing.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:54 pm

gonna just drop this one here

sei

Postby sei » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:39 am

Can't wait to see what fresh MTX innovations Diablo 4 will bring. So hopeful for the future of the franchise.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:18 pm

Friday wrote:If you play this game and do not pay for it, and are having fun despite the game slowing to an absolute crawl in terms of progression, then I suggest reinstalling Diablo 3 because it's the same dopamine loop and you can actually get to the endgame, you know, in this lifetime without spending money.

Don't buy Diablo 3 if you don't already own it, though. Because then you go back to financing 1 and 2.
That's what Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, or who-asked-for-this TitanQuest expansions are for.

Friday wrote:Diablo Immortal is a trap designed to create and milk whales.
Egregiously. I think Genshin can be enjoyed without paying into it much. Their Battle Pass thing gives you ~21% more energy-gated progress per week (~9 days of resin's worth every 6 weeks.) Someone going for the BP and Welkin (bonus pull shit) is basically looking at a $12/mo sub, which isn't that different from WoW's ask.

Yeah, character gacha systems are largely designed to engender FOMO, and I've seen a friend spend thousands on Genshin's (which is fucking weird) but for the non-pathological, Genshin is enjoyable enough on a casual level and doesn't feel on the same scale of abuse as D:I, even though they share genre and consequently some of the same psychological tricks.

atog

Postby atog » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:33 am

Diablo Immoral players who bought third-party ingame currency packages, some at drastic discounts, have been waking up to find their sketchy orbs deleted, leaving them a negative balance. Rather than ban them outright as in other cases of account theft/fraud/RMT, Blizz is holding their accounts ransom until they buy orbs through the official store to be applied toward the deficit. Presumably until they either pay up or quit and move on, they cannot join group raids, party activities, or elder rifts or any other endgame targets.

Naturally some of the biggest whales caught in this net are not bothering to pay, so their accounts are getting banned; some have sold their accounts on learning of the "orb debt" hostage situation, but buyers of those accounts are getting banned as they're discovered.

Account fraud and ActiBlizz' deep gouging greed...two vices that deserve each other's company like no other. :schadenfreude:

sei

Postby sei » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:02 pm

atog wrote:Diablo Immoral players who bought third-party ingame currency packages, some at drastic discounts, have been waking up to find their sketchy orbs deleted, leaving them a negative balance.
Genshin does something similar. If some you or some third party buy premium currency and it's charged back/refunded, they just adjust your premium currency balance, which can leave you in the negative if you spent it all. I wouldn't be surprised if this were industry SOP.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:54 pm

This could go in too many threads. So I'm making the worst choice.

Turns out my excuse that I wasn't giving them any money while playing Diablo Immortal 100 hours was picked up on by their monetization team. Now they're doing their best to keep people without disposable income out of Overwatch 2.

sei

Postby sei » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:38 pm

beatbandito wrote:This could go in too many threads. So I'm making the worst choice.

Turns out my excuse that I wasn't giving them any money while playing Diablo Immortal 100 hours was picked up on by their monetization team. Now they're doing their best to keep people without disposable income out of Overwatch 2.

As a side-effect, this is also really hostile to security-conscious measures like using a secondary burner-esque phone for SMS verification so that people who have your real phone number can't social engineer their way into your accounts.

atog

Postby atog » Tue May 30, 2023 9:27 pm

Thread necromancy is now a playable class in D4!

To not really anyone's surprise, Path of Exile's latest season content will be delayed for an extra month while the GGG staff working on it all call in sick so they can play D4 instead they prepare a pre-release event for Exilecon 2023.

No great loss, because in any case, the retention numbers for this current season are at a nearly record low. People got a taste of the super complicated, grindy, and rippy overtuned "forge" content, and realized "the game wasn't a good fit for them".

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:30 am

Apparently the new Diablo is out, and because everyone has phones I haven't actually heard anything about it.

But assuming no one here wants to have anything to do with it at this point, may I recommend Halls of Torment?

It's a semi twin-stick Vampire Survivor-like with a heavy Diablo I style and feel. You're still running around in circles kiting mobs of enemies with vague goals, but there's a bit more to it than a lot of the stuff like this I've seen lately. Including Vampire Survivor.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:01 pm

My meatspace friends are super excited for it, and have started to harangue me about it and/or will gift it to me, so if anyone else is playing, let me know.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:57 pm

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:53 pm

a lot of y'all still don't get it

unique holders can use multiple malfeasance tokens on a single pain shard

so if you have 3 malfeasance tokens and 1 pain shard you can create three new shards

Tonight's helltide event is essentially a minting event for both wound imps and tortured gift chests

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:23 pm

To be fair, only the first sentence of that PCGamer tweet genuinely describes anything which is actually in D4, so this one's on them rather than ActiBlizz.

Well, for now. It IS ActiBlizz, so give them some time.