Diablo: What fresh hell is this?

Wheels

Re: Diablo: What fresh hell is this?

Postby Wheels » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Mongrel wrote:In my case doubling the RAM (which is now QUADRUPLE the supposed on-paper requirements) fixed most, but not all, issues. I would watch as the game not-so-slowly consumed every scrap of memory my computer could muster, so I finally caved. My only consolation is that RAM is universally useful and the money I spent didn't go to GGG.

It's funny how there are days when we think our connection's gone bad, but it turns out, that nope, it's just PoE's servers being low-budget dogshit again. As much as I give Tanks shit for being a Russian squeeze operation, at least the code is ruthlessly optimized and tighter than a tick, if only because most of the playerbase plays on some variety of ancient shrivelled-up half-potato.

Actually yesterday's patch notes were hilarious. Apparently there were numerous abilities which they patched last patch which had to be re-patched because they were coded so poorly that players imply using those abilities was causing undue server load.

Are there players who play without any issues? Of course there are, otherwise the game would have already collapsed. But are there far too many issues indicative of a sloppy, amateur-hour operation that rushes to put out content with little-to-no testing? I sure as hell think so. It's the old adage about "If one student is doing poorly, it's probably the student who's got a problem, but if half the class is bad..."

I know tens of people besides myself that play PoE, and you're literally the only one that I've ever heard complain about this, so by your own logic it seems pretty okay.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:56 pm

I haven't played PoE much, but IME if someone mentions having an issue with a game and other people show up to say that they have never had that issue, that means it probably is a real issue and those people are ready to kill their pregnant girlfriends over the game.

Man I hope everyone reads all the threads so there's context for that if it's needed.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:19 pm

And (if we're going by anecdotes) I've seen many many such complaints of the game performing poorly? As in, literally hundreds? When I was having worse performance such that it would slow down a trade, the usual response was basically for the other person to basically nod sadly and comment about similar problems.

Granted the presence of complaints will be outsized, but they're all along a similar theme, of bad optimization/poor performance. Also, since we're talking about a situation which will render the game literally unplayable to many, a sensible person isn't going to make a stink, they're just going to play something else.

Anyway, the usual game fight of "I've had problems" "Well I haven't" probably isn't much good without data, you know? But there are a non-zero number of players who've had difficulties attributable to something other than their own computers or setup.

I suppose if you want harder facts, server complaints are rampant outside of North America - those are certainly accurate as staff have acknowledged them many times. And reading the patch notes always reveals really blatant bugs which should have been caught in testing, and which often take weeks to resolve.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Triple G!

Incidentally, that Tweet is currently the only official mention that today's patch is being rolled back in the first place. :D

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:01 am

Friday I don't know if you saw but Diablo Immortal is free on pc (and it is definitely a mobile game, play wise) and it has every named character and no plot. I honestly can't decide if it's miserable or fun.

Hey, Beat, wanted to respond to this, but didn't want to put it in the Friday Fun Time thread.

Diablo Immortal is a trap designed to create and milk whales. As Tycho of Penny Arcade (and many others) also said, this means that it is, at its core, fundamentally fun. People who bring up that the game is fun are missing the point. An unfun game is not a trap because you cannot trap people with an unfun experience. "Fun" also includes great sound design, satisfying visceral feedback to attacks, graphics, etc. This game looks and plays amazingly well for a mobile game. It plays basically the same as Diablo 3, which for a mobile game (or a port of a mobile game for PC) is an actual amazing technological feat.

Again, though, the gameplay is identical to Diablo 3, which is a one time pay.

If you play this game, and pay for it, you are financing both:

1. An overall design philosophy in the gaming industry which is predatory, awful, and literally banned in much in the EU for enticing children to gamble on loot boxes.
2. A company that is currently headed by a man who left a death threat on a female employee's phone, and cultivated a frat-like atmosphere of sexual harassment and outright rape.

If you play this game and do not pay for it, and are having fun despite the game slowing to an absolute crawl in terms of progression, then I suggest reinstalling Diablo 3 because it's the same dopamine loop and you can actually get to the endgame, you know, in this lifetime without spending money.

Don't buy Diablo 3 if you don't already own it, though. Because then you go back to financing 1 and 2.

If you then move to "but Diablo 3 is old and this is new and my brain likes things that are new" then I suspect you are REALLY THIRSTY FOR A NEW DOPAMINE LOOP because so much was lifted directly (and I mean both assets and gameplay) from Diablo 3 that I really, really don't think it counts as "new" in any meaningful way.

All of that being said, I make no judgment on you, Beat, or anyone else who wants to play this or spend money on it. But nor will I pretend my thoughts on this are anything other than what I just outlined. I would respond the same way if asked about any well-designed, fun and intentionally psychologically addictive trap mobile game. Diablo Immortal is no different except this one came from a company that used to make good games and is now a raping evil trash pile that I will never give another dollar to, ever.

Put another way, I hate Wal-Mart. I don't hate the people who shop there. I'm sure a lot of really cool people shop at Wal-Mart. But I'm not going to pretend to them that Wal-Mart isn't awful and does awful business practices.
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:22 am

I'll start this off by saying "Blizzard/Activision are a horrible company and I will not support them in any sense" is a totally valid and appropriate reason to not want anything to do with Immortal, and even be angry it's existence in discourse.

I am playing Immortal, as many other people are/will, because it's free and currently popular. I have no intent of spending any money, and no means currently to become a whale without losing my house and internet connection first. But I may end up spending money on this game accidentally, and that's the real menace of the design. As someone who has been playing a lot of f2p "MMOS" (and Immortal gets a lot closer to a classic mmo than most) for about as long as they've been a thing, a lot of the specific discussion I've seen about this has been frustrating. Which is more what I want to get into using this game as an example, more than framing it as a specific discussion of this game (which is will be, using direct references).

Friday wrote:Diablo Immortal is a trap designed to create and milk whales.

This is definitely not the main intent, and a big part of my issue with the discussions. As came up in discord yesterday, these games do not aim for, or count on, whales. I think a diablo game specifically, and blizzard fanbase, will definitely get more of them than most f2p endeavors, but it's not going to be the big money.

A tangent before going further in. Of all my experience with game marketplaces, the one I inarguably fell the deepest into was ArcheAge. The pinnacle of korean mmo design, tempered by the NA publisher to adapt to the more lax regulation on in-game gambling (and this is before they added a whole host of themepark gacha in a rerelease). Endgame was basically spending hours farming with raid-sized groups in open PVP areas to get the materials you needed for your next gear upgrade. You then spent a bunch of real money on marketplace items that make it slightly more likely that your +9 weapon will actually upgrade to +10 (1/9 chance it would have the stat set your build needs) instead of exploding and leaving you with nothing. I put nearly $10k real dollars (USD, not NZD) into this game over the course of 2 years, enjoyed maybe one year of that, struggled through the next, and quit cold turkey when my max upgrade, third-from-best enchant weapon (only two dps better geared on the server at the time) broke on the upgrade attempt the day before a big guild fight. Even with the awesome advantage and sense of power being overgeared in a game that relied on pvp for endgame, that game wasn't actually focused on whales like me either. They made most of their money from people paying $5 over and over again to upload custom .pngs and put them on their houses and boats.

Friday wrote:As Tycho of Penny Arcade (and many others) also said, this means that it is, at its core, fundamentally fun. People who bring up that the game is fun are missing the point. An unfun game is not a trap because you cannot trap people with an unfun experience.

I would also argue against this. The "mobile" design specifically is more about gating the potential for fun. Classic gacha card games will put up a wall where you can't reasonably progress without that current 7-star rare special in the store, or at least a few booster packs for upgrade materials. Games like Genshin Impact do seem to have a fun game at the core, but then hit you with a stamina system you have to pay to feed to keep playing when you want. Then after you paid for an extra 2 hours on sunday, it would be dumb to not play the full given time on monday, so on and so forth. And that's without even getting in to the fact that Immortal is a AAA (owned, not developed by this time) franchise. It definitely did not need to be fun in any sense to sell. And really isn't even fun enough that I'd take the fact that is should be for granted. But that'll come up more in a minute.

Friday wrote:"Fun" also includes great sound design, satisfying visceral feedback to attacks, graphics, etc. This game looks and plays amazingly well for a mobile game. It plays basically the same as Diablo 3, which for a mobile game (or a port of a mobile game for PC) is an actual amazing technological feat.

I can promise you it has none of these things. I'm playing the PC port, and it is so definitely a port, with absolutely no enhancements or design considerations for PC input. I have to imagine it plays a bit better on mobile, as intended, but it's also a glitchy mess in both design and implementation. A big part of why I finally gave it a go was a video of someone falling through the same floor forever while global chat was scrolling past with gold selling bots and DPS that don't know how to use LFG. One of my experiences in-game so far was competing with many other people all doing the same dailies, with not nearly enough individual mob spawns for everyone. This is not a great, fun game that you want to invest money in being the best at. Only addiction and fanboyism could feed that delusion. Which, while certainly embraced as a part of the exploitative economic design, is not the main intent. Those numbers basically make themselves.

Friday wrote:Again, though, the gameplay is identical to Diablo 3, which is a one time pay... If you then move to "but Diablo 3 is old and this is new and my brain likes things that are new" then I suspect you are REALLY THIRSTY FOR A NEW DOPAMINE LOOP because so much was lifted directly (and I mean both assets and gameplay) from Diablo 3 that I really, really don't think it counts as "new" in any meaningful way.

Diablo 3 is a game I can play alone on my PS4 and maybe find a discord server with people who have years of constant experience that will be so much more aggressive than me it will not be any fun. That is, if I don't burn out before getting into Hell difficulty solo, anyway. I've never actually taken a diablo game past a second playthrough, nevermind whatever ladder hell real fans have been in.

Immortal is an mmo, more so than most games that advertise the term these days. I can go into it and be surrounded by other people currently starting out. I can be playing alone and have someone offer a group when we notice we've been hitting the same objectives on this map. I can get a random prompt for a secret zone group, not say a word to them, and go back to my solo play right after. I can enter pvp arenas at the first level it's available and beat out top-level teams because no one playing understands what an objective is yet. Immortal is not a single-player diablo game. It is using as much of the diablo story and name as it can to attract people, and the resources to save money on development. But the way you interact with this game is completely different to other diablos. Free or not, scam or not, good or not, it's a major aspect that can't be handwaved.

Friday wrote:If you play this game and do not pay for it, and are having fun despite the game slowing to an absolute crawl in terms of progression, then I suggest reinstalling Diablo 3 because it's the same dopamine loop and you can actually get to the endgame, you know, in this lifetime without spending money.

Coming back around now to the main discussion, which I started to mention with other mobile or f2p games. Immortal does not do this. Most F2P games do not do this anymore. That is exactly what most people know to look for and to avoid. All the discussion of this being what could have been a good game but with bad monetization is almost the opposite of the truth. The monetization is the only aspect of this game with clear design and oversite. I've made it to level 50 of 60 (in main progression, there's more to come after that) without spending a cent, and have yet to even be challenged by an enemy, never mind hitting a wall. I died once so far, last night, because I had gotten so lazy I stopped moving off of damage zones and didn't realize there were 10 more stacked under the first one. If I had at one single moment been in a spot where I felt like I needed to grind or pay, I would have quit there.

There hasn't been a single instance of a tutorial requiring you to use the real money shop, or a quest you need to pay to unlock or for access to. But there's a lot of "while you're here..."s. Oh yeah, of course you can do the challenge dungeons as much as you want and get rewards, but, while you're here... for just $1.30 you can be guaranteed an item of the type you're looking for, if not the exact stats/rating. Oh yeah, you could keep playing normally and you'll probably get the drops you need to upgrade that gem. Hell, you don't even need to upgrade it, nothing's been that hard so far. But while you're here... we do have a special for people that got that drop that lets them upgrade it for just $.99. No, don't rush, this isn't a limited time offer. Play some more, get a feel for just how rare some of these drops are and come back to us. We know if you miss a good deal you might decide you missed the chance and never buy it, and we wouldn't want to do that.

And THAT is the real issue in my eyes, that people completely blow over. When I see the big story is that someone spent $6k and didn't get the super good legendary, my honest first thought it "huh, maybe it's not pay to win". When I see lazier articles that say he spent $25 a piece on loot boxes and didn't get a single legendary I think "this game doesn't have lootboxes, and it doesn't have anything for $25+ in the store except that crazy-big in-game currency bundles, and for just $2.30 I can guarantee myself a legendary gem drop on my brainless daily dungeon run. This article must be complete bullshit, and maybe the game isn't bad at all." And it all completely misses the point while thinking its being so smart calling out the small percentage of players that have actual issues being exploited any everyone points and laughs and meanwhile their kids are spending $3 a day on roblox custom designs.

So yes, Immortal is a not well made game with a terrible monetization design at its foundation. I can't blame people for not wanting to play it at all, and as I do I will continue to make fun of anyone who actually pays up until I quit out of frustration when they kick my undergeared ass over and over in PVP. But these games can't be written off as games, because they're available, and the playerbase for "free, online, and I heard about it" just keeps growing. And they can't be written off as exploitative design without actually looking into how that design exploits. Plus it's pretty funny that if this were a KMMO that guy that spent $6k would have at least legally been required to have a drop rates sheet to see just how unlikely it was.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:06 pm

Man, between this and the discord chat yesterday this sounds worse than even PoE.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:30 pm

I mean, I never enjoyed it, but I think there's general consensus that whatever Path of Exile may do it was designed foremost as a game for people to enjoy. Immortal, and sadly more and more other games, are definitely not that.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:34 pm

beatbandito wrote:these games do not aim for, or count on, whales.

i feel like this is fundamentally, deeply incorrect. every single f2p game is aiming for that small subset of people who could keep it in the black into perpetuity, and everyone else they catch along the way is just a bonus.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:50 pm

As someone who has been trapped for 10k before, I'll defer to your judgment on why Immortal sucks, Beat.

I haven't touched the game and based my observations on a 45 minute video and several clips I watched of the gameplay and the breakdown of the "while you're here..." shit.

I do know that I've seen a lot of data on other mobile games that show that they do get the majority of their revenue from whales. Whether or not Diablo Immortal is set up to do this, I would assume yes based on the way the "while you're here..." stuff ramps up and up in cost. But maybe they're aiming for something else.

One of the things that I hate most about the mobile/gacha/exploitative market and the discussion surrounding it is the "you can't blame them for doing what makes them money" that gets brought up all the time.

(I'm not saying you're saying this, Beat. It's just a thing I see a lot.)

I want to address this one specific point because it annoys me. So I'm going to use the word "you" but from now on when I say "you" I am not at all referring to Beat but instead to a generic internet person who makes this point. Remember, whenever you see "you" or "your" from now on in this post it is directed toward a hypothetical person and not Beat because Beat has not said anything like this.

Yes, I absolutely can blame a company for doing whatever it takes to make money. It just depends on where your line is, personally.

A company that (completely legally) dumps cancer causing chemicals into a lake that kills 1000 people can be blamed for making the most money, even if their actions were 100% legal. A company that employs children in sweatshops in other countries where it's legal to work kids 12 hours a day in sweatshops can, in fact, be blamed for their (completely legal) business practices that make them the most money because kids are cheaper to hire and exploit.

I bring up these (very real) extreme examples to have a baseline we all agree on and to prove my point that actually yes a company CAN be blamed for immoral practices even if those practices fall within the law. So now we move the line back.

Can a company be blamed for working kids 6 hours a day? 4? Is child labor not acceptable at all? Can they be blamed for price fixing on a golf course so there's no paper trail? Which is how they actually price fix in real life? How much do you equate "can be blamed" with "followed all laws of the countries they operated in"? Can they be blamed for entirely dodging taxes with absurd but perfectly legal loopholes that allow them to actually be PAID by the countries they operate in?

Can a company be blamed for hiring psychologists to design a game with tricks and traps that is set up intentionally to

1. addict its playerbase with daily rewards and progression that encourages playing every day and habitual visits to the shop to pick up free rewards that have the tempting paid for better rewards right there
2. slowly normalize spending money and then gradually ramp up the costs
3. sell loot boxes to children but the loot boxes have one extra step (doing the rift) in front of them that makes it so they can get away with saying "actually buying the item(s) that powers up the rift so it will turn into a massive loot pinata at the end isn't a loot box because you have to kill some monsters for 10 minutes before you open the box"

These are predatory practices. They are not at all unique to Diablo Immortal and never have been. I maintain that they are predatory and shitty and that Blizzard and every other company that does them or things like them CAN be blamed for it. My line is firmly behind "a game designed to addict children to gambling" and I do not give a single shit whether or not it's legal in the country you live in.

Your line may be in front of "a game designed to addict children to gambling" or you may argue that mobile games do not intentionally attempt to addict their player bases and also to sell their player bases loot boxes and etc.

If your line is in front of that, okay. Then you and I have fundamentally different approaches to morality and that's the end of the conversation. However if your argument is "well actually these games are not specifically designed to addict people and do not have kids playing them and furthermore loot boxes are fine and not gambling" then you are wrong, full stop.

And yes I want to be 100% clear on this point. Diablo Immortal has loot boxes. It also has a million other things but this is important to understand because loot boxes are now legally considered gambling in at least certain parts of the world. The legal world. And I know how absolutely beyond all else important people consider the law when judging morality. They shouldn't, but they do.

So.

Imagine two scenarios.

1. You pay real money for a loot box. You open it.

2. You pay real money for a crest (or three or ten) and put them in a rift that "powers up" the rift so that the boss at the end spits out ten times as many rares, turning it into a loot box. In order to get to this boss, you have to kill monsters for 10 minutes.

These are both 100% loot boxes and therefore gambling. The boss does not drop specific items, he's only "guaranteed" to drop legendaries. This is fundamentally different than buying a specific item. It is a heavily obscured, but still 100% genuine, loot box.

In Magic the Gathering, I can go online and buy a rare card. It costs 200 dollars.

I can also buy a box of the set that card comes from for 200 dollars. I might get the card in that box or I might not. I might even get better cards worth more money. It is a gamble. It is gambling.

And yes, I have my issues with WotC for encouraging kids to gamble too.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:03 pm

beatbandito wrote:I mean, I never enjoyed it, but I think there's general consensus that whatever Path of Exile may do it was designed foremost as a game for people to enjoy. Immortal, and sadly more and more other games, are definitely not that.

It is very deliberately designed as an exercise in deliberate, fully intentional sadism on the part of the owner and masochism on the part of the remaining players, who by and large judge their self-worth by their ability to overcome almost comical amounts of bullshit so long as it's called "difficulty".

This is not hyperbole or sarcasm.

You CAN have fun playing it still, but not like, a ton, and this is like older-format MTG in the sense that really, you better have a shitload of legacy items no one can get any more, otherwise forget it back to masochism.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:06 pm

Niku wrote:
beatbandito wrote:these games do not aim for, or count on, whales.

i feel like this is fundamentally, deeply incorrect. every single f2p game is aiming for that small subset of people who could keep it in the black into perpetuity, and everyone else they catch along the way is just a bonus.

This is partly true, but also a shitload of these garbage games also use a model based on new-expansion opening weekend frenzies, where streamers are very deliberately (sometimes even openly) given smooth rides and blatantly artificial RNG (usually with loot boxes) to build hype and viewer numbers in the few days after each expansion drops, to get very brief but widespread buy-in for loot boxes and cosmetics.

This in turn has led to a player model where you see a lot of opening day build scams, where certain players will post edited videos of a "new hot build" that can do it all, be immortal, etc. with a lot of carefully groomed information and edited videos. So even though there's a ton of build details giving said build supposed credibility, observers may not spot the holes quickly enough. Meanwhile the scammer makes bank selling a shitload of some worthless oddball item they made the lynchpin of their fraudulent build and which they of course heavily stockpiled in anticipation of selling at a huge hype markup.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:11 pm

Mongrel wrote:
beatbandito wrote:I mean, I never enjoyed it, but I think there's general consensus that whatever Path of Exile may do it was designed foremost as a game for people to enjoy. Immortal, and sadly more and more other games, are definitely not that.

It is very deliberately designed as an exercise in deliberate, fully intentional sadism on the part of the owner and masochism on the part of the remaining players, who by and large judge their self-worth by their ability to overcome almost comical amounts of bullshit so long as it's called "difficulty".

This is not hyperbole or sarcasm.

You CAN have fun playing it still, but not like, a ton, and this is like older-format MTG in the sense that really, you better have a shitload of legacy items no one can get any more, otherwise forget it.

Mongrel, come play FFXIV with me. It's a much less stressful experience, the story is excellent, and the quest names are all delicious puns.

And if you're into self-torture, there's always PVP.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:12 pm

I look at new (to me) MMOs with fear.

:/

I understand FFXIV is basically the ONE MMO where this is unfair, it's just hard to shake the reluctance.

Don't worry about PoE though. I played for two days last week and that was the first time in a year and that was enough for me to go "huh-uh". That game is so anti-ergonomic it causes me (and a lot of other players!) physical pain to play most builds now.

I guess if I can get a legacy and for my Necro at some point I might play a bit more often (mainly because it was the last game Starr and I were both able to play together), since letting minions kill shit is much easier, but it's not like I'm going to go back to playing it even halfway regularly and I doubt I'll ever play in a new temp league again.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:36 pm

Friday wrote:friday stuff

It was actually $2000, $10k was the NZ$ amount for the USD$6K number from the big news streamer that I had in my head and apparently never fixed. Also almost immediately after making that post I unlocked a new reward tier thing that requires you to go directly into the shop to access it, not just in the menu next to the shop.

Any actual value to a point I'm trying to make here is that the glaringly obvious appeals to addiction and gambling should definitely already be getting handled by much more overarching regulation on these kinds of things. Which is why the insidious, army of psychologists and market researcher tweaks is my focus and worry. It gives us matchmaking that pairs you up with people with paid weapons to see on the kill screen in CoD and with costumes they think you'll want on bots in fortnite. It's also given us almost a decade of absolutely horrible menus. Which I used to think were just part of ignoring design outside the monetization, but am realizing more and more it must be intentional to accidentally bring you back to shop opportunities.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:36 pm

yeah if anything I think you're more well informed than me about this kind of stuff and how it works since you have personally experienced it and I have only other people's stories and a few (in depth but still) youtube videos about it showing me the actual gameplay and menus.

And yeah one of the things the guy brings up is how the menus are intentionally designed to show you things to buy.

In fact, here.

ImageImageImage

atog

Postby atog » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:38 am

I can't speak for anyone else but at least for me, it's hard to find the shop/mtx interface in PoE accidentally or otherwise. This isn't a glowing endorsement of GGG's ethics; a lot of things in the game are poorly documented, inconvenient, counter-intuitive, etc.

PVP in Diablo has always been shitty and some of that has to do with the scale and pace of the gameplay. It's essentially a small-skirmish scaled game zoomed in to pretend to be an RPG.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:34 am

It's pretty funny to see people complain on PoE forums that they wanted to buy X but literally couldn't find it in the shop or see an image of it.

Like, not only they are legitimately incompetent in most aspects of actual game design, they can't even run their sleazy exploitative monetization schemes properly.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:59 am

Mongrel wrote:It's pretty funny to see people complain on PoE forums that they wanted to buy X but literally couldn't find it in the shop or see an image of it.

Like, not only they are legitimately incompetent in most aspects of actual game design, they can't even run their sleazy exploitative monetization schemes properly.

This is also usually intentional, to get you to stumble upon things you might want to buy but otherwise might not have seen.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:18 pm

Maybe if stuff was splashy and visible, sure, but not with the tiny pictures and lack of clear videos, it isn't. There's nothing there to see.

When anyone actually wants an armour set they actually go preview it on YouTube rather than in the shop, lol