Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:02 pm

Has anyone here ever played Path of Exile in the past? I hate to be one of those "Can I have your stuff?" guys, but... can I have your stuff?

I'm trying to get back in, but I'm stuck in one of those "Need loot to make currency to buy things to be able to farm loot." shitholes, and while it's a mediocre game even at it's very best (which ain't much), it's one of the very few Starr and I are both still able to play together and interested in doing so. At this point in the game starting from scratch is a years-long op for someone with my mediocre skills.

So many things have been nerfed so hard over the years that even a lot of formerly common junk - like basic ubiquitous utility flasks - can be quite valuable. So it's okay if you "never got anything good".

Anyway, I think most of you were probably too smart to buy into GGG's shit, but just in case, I'm asking.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:54 am

This has been getting shared around the Skyrim community. It might be the best changelog update I've ever seen on a game mod.
Version 5.5
4. NPCs now poop themselves while being electrocuted. (see pics)

Version 5.6
3.Reduced the amount of poop generated during electrocutions to just one load.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:32 am

Hey guys! Did I mention that Kiddo 02 is showing interest in video games? We like running around in Animal Crossing, but she's... still... figuring out... which buttons...
Version 5.5
4. NPCs now poop themselves while being electrocuted. (see pics)[???]

Version 5.6
3.Reduced the amount of poop generated during electrocutions to just one load.

Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:10 am

About 10 years late, I'm finally getting into what I've heard repeatedly is the beat Diablo 2 clone: Grim Dawn: Definite Edition.

It's okay, it's fine.

You make a build with two of a selection of 10 classes, skill trees are big enough you could spend all your points in just one class tree and still not fill it. So there's a lot going on there, and that's probably the best thing it has going. I'm having a hard time judging actual gameplay with a pretty inactive pet build, but difficulty seems to be practically non-existent for grunts, with most story bosses being stone walls I break down with chained failed attempts as the rest of the room clears out and they don't heal between resurrections.

I have some issues with the map. It's huge, and sprawling, which is nice. But portals are sparse and everything respawns if you log out. I've had two days with the game sitting in the background all day and playing until like 2am just so I can end the session with an obvious 1-2 pathes near portals,and not end up redoing the entire area just to get back to current progress (while mobs aren't a threat, you can't just run through a map without getting swarmed). Add to that the fact that there are no quest markers, no custom map markers, and all caves/dungeon entrances only show up on the map if you're close enough, and it becomes a real pain in the ass to get around. I had left a side quest undone for a map area and when I tried to go back the only clues I had were a cave name and the name of the npc who gave it to me. The cave was "blood gulch" let's say, which was about a 2-minute walk from the closest portal in Burrowhelm. Then the questgiver was at a small camp just far enough outside the Old Antlivia portal to have to walk around for them to show up. I would have had to essentially replay the game up to those areas to find them without a wiki. Really terrible design there, imo. You need really good directions with no map markers.

Also less of an issue in a big, single-player game than a f2pmmo where everything scales, but it has rare drop skill modifying gear. Which I hate. One of my main skills summons a ghost out of an enemy that kills them and disappears. If I'm lucky at max level (of which I am just over half at about the end of a first run) I'll get a set of armor that makes the ghost hang around and stack. I want that, I want to build to that, but it would be ridiculous and make the game impossible. I could change skill points late game if I get the armor, but it's still meh to me. Which leads into my second biggest issue: limited respecs.

AFAIK it's possible to refund all your skill points forever. But it's likely going to become prohibitively expensive to keep doing for experimentation. There is no way to change your classes, of which one is chosen before game start and one likely just before the first boss (if you're clearing maps). There doesn't seem to be any way to refund attribute points either, which I don't think would make a huge impact with endgame stats, but is annoying for min-maxing. Lastly there's a separate leveling system with a lot going on. You unlock points through challenges, they can be respeced at cost. But it's a big constellation map with no way to list all the rewards for individual star choices or full constellations. And there's an in-system color point unlocking system which restricts your path from existing choices based on what colors a full constellation rewards you, to be used unlocking more complex constellations. But you can't see what the color reward will be from a specific constellation unless you already have the right colors to unlock it. So either frustrating experimentation with an in-game cost or, again, a wiki is needed.

Thats pretty much it. I have a pirated copy and, even with it seemingly having a 100+ hour single playthrough with all dlc, seeing they want $50 for it despite most of the content being over 5 years old made me scoff. If you love DII or dungeon looters in general you'll probably get a lot out of this, there's even choices that actually impact gameplay you can remake each run. But I don't really think it's worth full price, personally.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:37 pm

I keep hearing the Xbox Series controller has the best D-pad of the current generation of consoles, and I was skeptical because (1) the damn thing looks like they took the weird PlayStation design with the recessed middle, slapped it on a Genesis-style circle pad, and then recessed the whole fucking thing and (2) I owned the Xbox 360 and it had the worst D-pad of any first-party controller I've ever used, but I heard enough good things that when I saw they're on sale I bought one, and god damn, that is a good D-pad. I need to put some more miles on it; so far all I've done is put in a few hours on ActRaiser Renaissance. But I was very pleased with how it handled on the platforming stages.

I hear it's a real bastard to get the Bluetooth to pair on Linux, but at the moment I can't get fucking any controller to pair with the computer in my living room and I've given up for the moment and just bought some long-ass USB cables, and it works fine cabled; Steam recognizes it, no configuration required. (I'm hoping at some point I run an update and my Bluetooth problem goes away, but of course Bluetooth is never going to not suck entirely.) Planning on rebuilding that computer some time in the next few months anyway.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:24 pm

Aground is a Terraria-like that dares ask the question "What if a scripted plot event destroys everything you've built, several hours in?"

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:46 am

Aground, several hours of gameplay later:

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:04 pm

Not my playthrough but someone found a goddamn great easter egg in Avorion (there's a fair few, especially among these randomly generated faction ships, but no one's ever seen this before).

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:12 am

Cult of the Lamb is a fun game, in spite of the main marketing hook. The cutesy animal design of the village is stuck somewhere between Woodland Critters and Happy Tree Friends and has nothing to do with the rest of the game. The dungeons have a different design feel and the lore they drape over the scenery is just enough to build an interesting world that will never be explored.

That aside, the town building and management is actually quite fun. It's simple, but there's enough depth to be absorbing. You can easily keep bouncing between projects and cooldowns, putting off the actual dungeoneering for hours at a time. The dungeon crawling is fun too. It's a quick top-down style. I think Bind of Isaac is the closest to overall design of the types of rooms and enemies, but it's much, much more forgiving.

Downsides: There's a lot of glitches and bugs. Nothing that seriously impacted my first playthrough, and most fixed with a quick save and restart from menu. There is absolutely no endgame that I can see. I have one thing left in the game's collections to get, a functional building of some sort, but think that may be from an earlier build choice, there's nothing new I can find from an hour of play after credits. The plot is meh. Spooky shit that never really goes anywhere, and no acknowledgement from a 'twist' for everyone but the player at the end. Lastly, it's a very, very easy game. I haven't done serious management on higher difficulties yet, but since you can swap around at will I can't imagine is changes much there. Difficulty seems to just reduce your health and increase enemy health. As it stands in normal mode once you have the health upgrades you can just mow through things. As someone who likes top-down action games, but is not very good at Binding/Gungeon and similar, I had no deaths in normal mode, and early on never got low enough health to have died in hard mode either.

tbh honest I got it for free, but it seems like good content for $25.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:21 am

nosimpleway wrote:Aground is a Terraria-like that dares ask the question "What if a scripted plot event destroys everything you've built, several hours in?"

Aground is one of those games you play because there's almost, almost a good game somewhere in there. A few QOL mods (that don't exist, I looked) and it'd be a pretty pleasant experience. As it is you spend too much damn time shuffling materials around various storehouses to make it really enjoyable.

Spoilers ahead in case anyone gives a damn about that kind of thing.

As I said before, it's a Terraria-like. You've shipwrecked on a little island, build yourself a hut to sleep in, get your stone axe to chop some trees and get building. Before long you learn that the ship that marooned you there was a colony spaceship, and you were attacked by "Them", some aliens who carpetbombed the Earth and now they're shooting down any human ships they can see. That "destroy everything you built" event that happens twice over the course of the game is the aliens finding out where you live and launching an orbital bombardment. You can build a boat and sail off to the next island, which has the colony ship you were on half-melted into slag sitting in the desert.

Eventually you build some FTL spaceships, hook up with the other remaining Earth colony ships, and launch a counterattack on the alien homeworld. One fighter pilot actually goes "Hey, aren't you that guy who's trying to counterattack the aliens who killed off 99% of humanity with a stone axe?" Yeah. Yeah, you are.

Like I said, there's almost a good game here.

I told you this so that I can relate the story of perhaps the dumbest unintentional softlock I've ever seen.

You can't land on the alien homeworld until you take out the spaceship fleet defending it. Makes sense. You hop in your own spaceship and start going pew pew pew if you want, but the most efficient way to take out enemy ships is to fly up next to them, board them, and kill the alien crew to disable the ship. You get to loot the hold that way, too, so in a way it's encouraged to do it that way. So I'm zooming my zippy little fighter craft up under the shields of these behemoth bomber and cruiser ships, getting inside (somehow), and killing aliens with my cyborg chainsaw hand. Sounds pretty cool, right? Almost a good game here.

Only I leave the last cruiser and... I'm just floating around in orbit with my jetpack. Where the hell is my ship? Must be behind the cruiser I just disabled, it's a 2D game and layering objects that can be interacted with has been an issue the whole game. (Earlier on there's a mountain peak with a treasure chest, a monolith, and a merchant. The aircraft you can land on the peak is probably wider than the entire surface there is to walk on. Getting the game to figure out whether you want to look at the monolith, talk to the merchant, loot the chest, or get back on your ship is difficult. Your ship is layered in front of everything else, and all of the actions are mapped to the same button.)

Anyway, there I am, floating in orbit around the enemy homeworld, my own spaceship nowhere to be found, having disabled the flagship of the alien fleet, barbecue sauce on my titties. Maybe my ship is just layered behind this one. I can't pilot the enemy ship out of the way, the controls are incomprehensible without an item I missed this playthrough. I've got to destroy it.

With my cyborg chainsaw hand.

I can't destroy it from the inside, where there's breathable air, oh no. I've got to fly around outside the damn thing, chip away at its thousands of hit points with my dinky 22-damage melee weapon, and occasionally duck back inside to take a breath. There's no piece of infinite-rebreathing equipment in the game that I've found, even spacesuits require you to go somewhere to refill the air tanks or whatever.

chip chip chip chip chip until finally the enemy cruiser kabooms.

Blowing up an enemy cruiser is an achievement. I feel like doing it with a melee weapon should be another achievement.

My ship isn't there.

Apparently it took a stray energy blast in the approach to the enemy cruiser, and exploded right as I hit the button to eject and get into the enemy ship for a round of alien-chainsawin'. I missed the explosion because my ship was layered behind the cruiser and a nearby bomber, and I couldn't see anything.

Welp. This is the final dungeon. Maybe I can take what supplies I happened to bring with me, jetpack down to the surface, burrow into the alien's HQ, and kill the alien leader to finish the game (it's a Terrarialike, of course the final boss is underground). It is then I realize that I did not bring the correct drill. I cannot dig through the alien homeworld bedrock with the equipment I've got.

So.
I can't build anything I didn't bring with me, because I don't have any of my crafting stations or factories or anything, and the dirt I can dig into doesn't have the materials to make more. This is an alien world, there aren't even trees I can chainsaw down to make a basic workbench.
Even if I had the factory to build one, I don't have the several metric tons of titanium in my pockets to build a new spaceship and get back to base to resupply.
I can't catch a ride with any of the dozen or so allied spaceships flying around. There are other allied fighters from the human colony ship up in orbit shooting at the scraps of the enemy defense force, but there's no "radio in to one of them and hitchhike back to base" button. Hell, I've got an allied fighter in my pocket that functions as the game's final familiar, but she won't scootch over a little to make room in the cockpit and fly us back home.
I can't teleport back to base, because I didn't bring an item to set a warp beacon. I can't build a warp beacon because I don't have the materials handy, any workstations, etc.
I can't dig down enough to finish the game. I can't build a better drill because I don't have the materials handy, any workstations, etc.

I'm just stuck. It just feels so dumb.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:15 pm

Time to edit a savefile?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:22 pm

I beat the last boss of Aground because it is a video game.

With vehicles being such a part of gameplay -- building a boat is the first real progress you make, and getting a flying craft really opens things up -- the game lets you "pack up" most of the things you can ride around in to keep them in your character's inventory. They're heavy, obviously, but they fit in your backpack.

So when I reloaded my save and finished the orbital dogfight to open up the last planet, I landed my craft on the surface and packed it up. Blip! Away it goes. I drill down into the hollow core of the planet and stare down the last boss. "Puny human!" says a giant betentacled alien heart stuck in the wall, waving energy balls and crackling lightning all over the place. "How do you dare stand up to me?!" Or whatever he actually said, who cares.

because at this point I reach into my pocket, pull out my fully-functional starfighter, climb in, and light him up with laser cannons.

For the Inevitable Second Phase I didn't realize he summoned minions a couple of times throughout the fight until I read about it on the wiki later. I could barely see him at all, much less his summons. They were vaporized by my vehicle-mounted plasma launchers before they entered the headlights on my craft.

(Make sure you put your spaceship back in your pocket before you leave, though, because you can't get back onto the planet for postgame shenanigans, and if you jetpack into orbit the planet will seal itself off beneath you, and you'll be softlocked there watching the other spaceships zing past you on their way home.)

If I were to do a Let's Play of this game I would title the thread "Encumberance Rules!" which sounds like a hearty endorsement but honestly you spend so much time just picking up all the inventory you can manage and carrying it somewhere else

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:15 pm

For a little while there I was planning a D&D game. With the potential-player-to-DM ratio skewed as it is (and has been for pretty much forever), I figured I'd do it West Marches style, with rotating groups of various players doing various self-motivated quests without an overarching plotline.

Salt, one of the hardest games to Google any actual damn information on, is why I stopped writing the game.

Well, the game itself isn't why I stopped, I only just got it during the survival games sale on Steam and I quit working on D&D a few weeks ago. But Salt suffers from the problems that I feared my game would have, had I ever completed and run it.

Because Salt is a self-motivated exploration game, light on story, and it is boring as shit.

Salt starts you out shipwrecked on an island, which is apparently something of a theme in this genre, with nothing but the skivvies on your butt. No, really, you don't even have pants to start out. The only other living person on the island tells you to loot the pirate corpse and the chest nearby, fix the raft floating on the beach, and go sail off somewhere else. The pirate has a note on him that mentions he lost his pickaxe somewhere on the island, and this being a resource gathering/crafting game, you might reasonably assume that you need that pickaxe to proceed. So you go look for it.

There's one polygon model in the game for grass, copied across the landscape in randomly-generated bunches. There are a few different kinds of trees, and the occasional rock or boulder. And that's it. You can spend ten or twenty minutes crisscrossing the island looking for the damn pickaxe, which is completely unmarked and lying in a copse of tall grass where you may well miss it even though it's the only thing on the island to find. The island is a void, in which floats the occasional forageable log or plant, and one semi-hidden tool.

So you take those foraged logs you found -- no cutting down trees in this one -- and repair the raft, and sail off in hopes of finding an inn that the other guy mentioned.

You land on an island. It's randomly-generated what it is. In my case, there was a small hunter's lodge with a bow on the wall and a box with a dozen arrows, and a quest to hunt down three deer living on the island to unlock the chest. Shooting a deer in the face with one of the arrows for maximum damage will do about a quarter of its hit points. The deer will then quite understandably bolt off into the woods and you have to track it down again. I ran out of arrows, because for me this was basically a tutorial on how to sneak, track, and aim ranged weapons. I can craft more arrows, right? I've got all these logs I keep picking up, so let's drop 'em in a craft window, and...

Aha! Avian arrows. Not sure why they're called that, but sure, let's make some.

"Avian Arrows: An inexpensive arrow used mainly for hunting birds."
oh, so that's why they're called that
"Not very effective against pirates. Pierce: 2"
Wait, 2? The arrows I got for free were Pierce 21 and that still wasn't nearly enough! So now a critical headshot with my arrows does piddling chip damage, rather than a decent chunk. I'm pretty sure I spent an hour hunting those three god damned deer. (Amusingly, if you shoot an enemy with an arrow, the arrow stays stuck in them until their corpse despawns. By the time I'd killed the deer with like 20 "Utter Shit" arrows they were basically pincushions.) I'm pretty sure the chest reward was a nice pair of boots, for my first piece of armor. Cool, we're in boxers and boots and we're going places.

I eventually get my raft back down off the beach and set sail for the next island I can see. Night falls. I end up sailing through open water for like 20 minutes in utter darkness, headed in the general direction of a little light I see twinkling on the horizon. I can just barely see the handle of my raft's rudder in the moonlight to keep my craft going in the right direction. Nothing happens.

I make landfall while it's still dark, and head up a hill to where I saw the campfire. Turns out there's a blacksmith there who's willing to make me some armor, if I bring him the chunks of obsidian he needs. I assume I am way off from that happening. This is where I discover that if you want to rest and let time pass, you must have a campfire nearby to do it. This then leads to the discovery that dropping an item into the crafting window will tell you what you can make out of it, but you have to explicitly go grab the rest of the ingredients to actually make what appears on that list. So a log will let you see that you can make Avian Arrows, Crude Arrows (aha!) and a Campfire, but you can't make the Crude Arrows or Campfire unless you also know to go pick up the flints from your inventory and drop them in too.

You know, both of those things would have been good to cover in some sort of tutorial.

Exploring the island, I come to realize that my experience on Starting Island and Friday's Revenge Island, which is what I decided to name the hunter's lodge in my head since there's no way to label islands ingame or anything, is in fact... the game. Like, that's an introduction, sure, but that's pretty much all there is! You pick up logs, plants, and maybe bust some boulders with your pickaxe for materials, which you can use to build nothing particularly important in some of the worst menuing I've seen in a video game. Then you sail to the next island, which takes several minutes, and do it again. Sometimes there are pirates you can shoot instead of deer to unlock a chest. Sometimes there's an NPC that gives you a quest and tells you to come back once you're done, but you're pretty sure you'll never come back because you have no fucking idea where you are, everything looks the same and there's nothing on the map you didn't put there yourself.

Oh, right. The map is blank. There's even a "Map" tab in your ingame journal with nothing in it. It might be wise to get yourself a sextant so you know where on the map to put "there's an island here". Automapping is pretty safely assumed in video games anymore, right? Nobody mentions that you're making maps and notes yourself like it's 1983.

Once you have a sextant (found at the inn, once you stumble on it by luck and happenstance), a compass (found by smashing boulders, netting the Magnetic Stone rare drop, and crafting the damn thing yourself), and a torch sconce to put on your boat so you can see either of those two things at night, the game opens up a little... but so fucking what, there's nothing to do once the game opens up anyway.

I can't even make a joke about being salty about the game called Salt, because that would require me to have any emotional response to the game beyond "Oh. I guess that makes sense. You could have said." over and over.

If I were to do a Let's Play of the game I would title the thread "There's No Foolin' Around with Deers", which only makes sense in the context of my own experience, but if there's anything more to the game it's not like I'm going to experience it.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:21 pm

teal deer goddamn it can I get away from the goddamn deer already Salt more like No Man's Sea

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:06 pm

"I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow to the knee!"
Ugh. Are we still doing this. This goddamn meme was ground into paste when Skyrim was new ten years ago, why is anyone still doing reference to it--

oh. wait. I'm actually playing Skyrim, for the first time. It is I who is over a decade behind the times.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:08 pm

This visceral reaction may have been influenced by two different Leeroy Jenkins meme references in the brief time I was trying to like Salt.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:16 pm

First time you play Skyrim, you must always play it vanilla.

Second time you play Skyrim though, that's when you must go reverse cowgirl.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:15 pm

hey quick question what the fuck are you talking about

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:50 pm

basically, well, it means whatever you want it to.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:06 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand your point here with posting vanilla Skyrim screenshots Mongrel.