Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Yoji

Re: Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Postby Yoji » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:03 pm

Unless I'm misinterpreting those pictures, that looks like a pretty cozy setup.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:31 pm

It's the bed plus things we still haven't unpacked yet room. I fully intend for that one entire wall to be books plus maybe a gaming & figure painting table.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:01 pm

Mongrel wrote:Originally the current league in Path of Exile was supposed to end today, but about six weeks ago, they announced that they would be pushing the league end back a month.

Only, not one person at GGG remembered to turn off the original timer.

Watching chat go atomic after the message "The League is ending in 5 minutes." message appeared out of nowhere, and then thermonuclear after every player in the game was frozen for a couple minutes (in what would normally be prep for a serverwide shutdown) was the most fun I've had all league.

Oh my god they fucked this up AGAIN.

League was supposed to end 23h from now, but some doofus set the timer for an hour ago, presumably because for most of the world the game ends on the 11th, but in NZ (and Oz) it ends on the 12th. Of course everyone trying to do last-minute shit is losing their minds. Sad I missed it this time around, but Starr still got a front row seat again, ahahaha.

Like, there are dumb, shitty game companies, ones far worse than GGG. Don't get me wrong.

I just don't know how GGG manages to be so ridiculous in their particular brand of goofball incompetence. Like usually the problem is "I'm greedy" or "I can't actually do that, but I'm going to pretend I can anyway", not "I can't read a clock or calendar, even after already being embarrassed on a global scale over not being able to read a clock or calendar only a month ago".

Postby Newbie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:45 am

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim showed up thanks to a friend, and it's every bit as good as people have said.

It's a complicated game, though. I think it's worth falling in blind, especially since the strong opening chapter is only undermined by a better understanding of the game structure, but I realize some folks might require more details before they'll bite. I certainly did.

⇳ Click to Expand Summary
First off: this is still Vanillaware, which means gorgeous 2D art with sometimes-choppy animation and also a well-earned reputation for alarmingly horny character designs. They've shown more restraint than usual this time around, but this is still a game in which teenagers must be nude to interface with their giant robots. There is still a peripheral adult character with stupid-big honkers who wears a skin-tight catsuit for egregious reasons.

Pacobird called the mech battles the least interesting part of the game, but that makes them the easiest to explain. The "Destruction" gameplay mode presents mech combat as a tactics battle of up to six mechs against waves of kaiju who converge on a terminal which you must defend for 2 or 3 in-game minutes using what is basically an ATB interface. The mechs come in four varieties with slight individual variations; combat gets mixed up with optional objectives and a need to rotate your pilots out regularly. On normal difficulty, these bonus objectives are the only real source of challenge, but there's an easier mode for pure narrative experience and an intense difficulty for true Tactics Ogre murderheads.

Clearing battles and bonus objectives earn you "Mystery Points", a currency used in "Analyse", the second of the game's three modes. Analyse contains two logs—first, an enormous directory of the secrets and mysteries you've uncovered, many of which are locked until you spend the Mystery Points to reveal their contents. (This isn't giving you new information, exactly, but it does provide useful clarification and context on what's happened so far.) The other half of Analyse is a log of everything that's transpired so far in the third game mode, which is what's really captured my attention.

"Remembrance" is the narrative. It's half adventure game, half visual novel, but somehow avoids the worst flaws of either format. You pick one of multiple protagonists, play through one segment of their story, and along the way you'll get to make slight adjustments to determine which parts of the story you'll see next. The right answer will ultimately be "all of it," but you have tremendous latitude to pursue the parts you're most interested in. And there's a lot to be interested in: this narrative takes diverse inspiration from more sources than you might expect and weaves them into a tapestry of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff. It never feels derivative, though, because of just how much effort they've taken to assemble these narrative spaghetti strands into a coherent whole. There's something to be said for taking a silly concept and playing it straight, really thinking through the implications, and they do a fantastic job of it.

So, like I said before: the game's good, y'all. I wish it had made a bigger splash.
tiny text

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:02 pm

been gettin' into retro achievements lately. they've really come a long, long way from when i first checked them out a couple of years back. while most games with achievements are definitely going to have several "experts only" options where they try to push the people who've been playing the same game for years to earn their kudos, there tends to be a good split between "play the game", "try to do everything in the game", and "master the game" in the ones i've poked around with thus far. if you want you can just leisurely pick up whichever ones you want and use save states to help you along the way, or you can set "hardcore mode" (in retroarch, at least) which will disable any save stating or rewinding or whatnot and give you double points for your trouble.

achievements having a score added to pretty much THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF GAMING makes the score even more pointless than it ever was of course, since a person who masters a few games they're really good at isn't going to have as high of a score as someone who just gets like four or five achievements from every single game that supports them, but it works really well on my favorite reason for achievements to exist; it gives you more incentive to dig in and actually play a game or try to do more than "good enough" when that would generally suffice. it's super easy to load up a bunch of roms and play for ten minutes and then move on to something else, but if i load up an NES game in hardcore mode and want to knock out some cheevos, i'm more likely to actually spend the time to finish it. on the other hand, now i'm probably less likely to load up games with no achievements added to them.

now i'm wondering if it would sync properly if i put retroarch on my vita.

this post brought to you by: darkwing duck NES is a pretty cool mega man game and it was fun to revisit it this morning.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:20 pm

i can't find the resident evil thread so here

ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:50 pm

Dunno how much use this is to anybody else, but recently I decided to look for a solution for playing PS4 games from another room in case my wife wants the TV, and I've found that Chiaki works quite well. I'm not sure what advantages, if any, it has over Sony's official Remote Play app if you're using a system that supports it, but in case you're not, Chiaki works fine. It was a mild hassle to set it up (had to run a program that opened a page in my browser that redirected me to log into my PS online account and then extracted some kind of identifying string to, I guess, spoof an approved Remote Play device) and it's not as customizable as I'd like (you can remap buttons to keys but you can't, say, remap the right stick to a mouse), but it works with a PS4 controller out of the box.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:07 pm

I got back into... I don't know if there's an encompassing term. Action SIMs with numbers that go up?

Valheim: Is the one you probably already heard about. Survival crafting game that absolutely blew up on Steam as soon as it launched into early access. It's... odd. It's fun enough, both in crafting and combat, and it really demands both of you for progress. This feels more like an open world action RPG that also has survival elements, even though survival is definitely the primary aspect.

I say survival, but the only meter to watch is your 'fullness'. You wont starve or shit yourself to death if you do afk (but something will probably find and kill you even in a house if you wait long enough), but the amount of fullness you have determines your health and stamina bars. Going into a dungeon or even just running between camps without a full stomach is going to be annoying at best. You can eat up to three different things, adding to the bar depending on how difficult they are to find or prepare. You make a bed for a respawn point, and it can let you skip the night. Otherwise it's all about punching trees, rocks, and baddies to build.

The thing about the building parts is that it's multiple different games. There are, at least: foraging/mining/forestry, agriculture, town building, and sailing. At over ten hours into the game I'd made it through the foraging(well, foraging-exclusive) content, and another ten hours after that I've touched on ships, barely seen the start of town building, and haven't unlocked skills for agriculture. So I'm excited to keep going and see how fleshed out it is already, but I can see being really frustrated if you want to do sailing and town management and the game demands a full game's worth of dungeon-diving and tree-punching first. But that's helped a bit by multiplayer.

The multiplayer is exactly what I want from these games. You make a character and you can make a world. You can have multiple characters(though so far I can't see any reason for one player to have more than one character) and multiple worlds and bounce back-and-forth between them. Keeping the world states and characters exactly as they were last played. I don't know about hosting full-time servers, but you could at least have one shared world running for when you're with friends and everyone their own individual, without losing any progress.

It's pretty fun! If you like the rust/ark style of gameplay and not the players, this may just be your thing. I'd love to get some multiplayer going if other people get into it, but I'm sure there's tons of content still to unlock in solo play.

Also there's Serin's Fate: It's a fun game! But you probably shouldn't play it yet. This one isn't survival, it's a rune factory-type. Stardew Valley Style, but the focus isn't farming or gardening, it's basically just a classic 2d adventure RPG. Magic plays a part in everything you do. It can augment or be used directly in combat, the only way to do logging and mining, and incredibly helpful for farming.

I've been loving this game. The mechanics are tight, the combat is fun, and the crafting is developed. Thing is, I absolutely can't recommend playing it yet, just wishlisting or at least keeping an eye on it. The gameplay definitely came first, and the dev is open in updates and discord that there is below zero tutorialization, because any they ever implemented has, at this point, been rendered incorrect. There's also no clear direction or correlation between much of the secret content. Identical tiles will have to be interacted with in different ways, there is a specific early-game leveling direction that is hidden in a big skill tree that, if not followed correctly (with no note about it) will basically make it impossible to progress after a certain point.

I really hope people finding it in the meantime don't give it a try and get turned off, because I am enjoying the game now enough to have gotten over those annoyances, and they're considering it "1/3rd done" with a planned release later this year. So look out for it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:48 pm

Hm, getting strong Seven Days to Die vibes from that first game. So, call that another suggestion for a similar game.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:05 pm

Not nearly the stress from 7 days. There are biomes with different difficulty levels. In the starting area (where you should have your main camp) if you idle (even in an interior) for literally hours, eventually enough of the night time enemies will be attracted to you to beat you to death, after slowly breaking everything in their way. In other biomes I wouldn't idle for even a minute outside at any point. But you could be in a structure or cleared room in a dungeon and I think stay safe enough for a quick AFK. You can also leave the world at any point and immediately log back in to where you were with all your stuff if you need to.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:23 pm

Yeah, 7 Days is deliberately a "How long can you survive" model of game and that absolutely means higher pressure. That said, IIRC you can log out and log in at least in single-player 7 Days same as any other game.

I haven't played it multiplayer in like 2 years and the game's changed a lot in that time (mostly for the better), so I'm not sure if online servers are similarly free or if you need to be in a dedicated zone to log off without consequences.

AFKing will get you killed though in either mode, for sure.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:35 pm

To add, Valheim starts with the exact right bulding tools and restrictions that the quickest, easiest and most effective first house is straight out of Asterix and not a horrible cobblestone cube. Or if you get into it, you can do things like this:

Of course, being norse themed it has attracted a vocal minority of the usual fucking subjects.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:17 pm

Went on a bit of a Nintendo kick this past week. Having skipped the WiiU, and the Wii for that matter, Super Mario 3D World was quite appealing, and hearing how above and beyond the Bowser's Fury addition is I was sold, and damn, it's pretty incredible. 3D World itself is extremely good and expansive, but Bowser's Fury is like a secret Odyssey DLC. Mostly still plays like 3D world, but better movement, full 3D Mario style level design, and a bunch of other rad stuff I won't spoil. The package is definitely worth it, particularly if you skipped 3D World the first time around.

Then I found myself enjoying the Captain Toad levels a lot and there's a game that's just that but better, so I picked that up on Switch too, it having been ported some time ago. Extremely delightful and chill experience. The main Mario team making a sort of puzzle platformer works out exactly as well as you might imagine.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:38 pm

this entire week of being at home due the icepocalypse but thankfully having power, i've pretty much given over a ton of my free time to Jurassic World Evolution which i do not actually really recommend. it's a zoo tycoon style park management sim but the park management stuff is laughably bare bones (you can put down things like gift shops and restaurants, pick one of three tiers of items for them to sell, and what to price them at and how much staff they have, and that's it -- so you just set each one to the maximum profit slider and you're done), and you basically just do five parks in a row with increasing chance of random storms wrecking all your shit and a few more still-identical guest buildings unlocking each time.

but

perhaps you have forgotten just how gay for jurassic park i truly am

the actual management stuff is all in the dinosaurs, and i am forever ten years old, and it's just so compelling to me to shove a bunch of dinos into a cage and then realize "oh crap i didn't give them enough space" when they break out and start rampaging around and then you have to chase them down and tranquilize them which you can do by just setting a ranger team to automatically go do it but what you should really do is manually control the jeeps to go driving around so you can chase them down yourself. most of the game itself really is mobile style "build something and wait for the timer to tick down" without the mobile style time escalation / monetization, but getting to tool around in the ranger jeep or copter and tranq unruly dinosaurs or take pokemon snap style pictures for money or set up dinosaur fight clubs gives the whole thing that certain something ~special~ that has made it grab me by the throat. it's like twelve bucks on steam right now, or forty for the game with all the dlc, and i picked up the latter; in the dlc there's a fun little mini campaign with Dr. Wu where you get to sin against god and make like, a dinosaur with a venomous bite and a stegoceratops and a significantly less fun campaign with Claire based on jurassic world fallen kingdom where you need to save a bunch of wild dinos before the volcano goes off (it severely restricts your building tools when you get to the park portion and introduces a baffling herbivore feeding mechanic), but all i have left to do now is the piece of DLC i'm most excited about where you go back to 1993 and try to fix the original park with all the original park aesthetics and instead of the nobody-team you're usually trying to please during the main game you're trying to do missions for alan and ellie.

also kinda hilarious is they got everyone to do some voice work for this thing EXCEPT for chris pratt. guess you were too busy being a chud to have fun like jeff goldblum, buddy. good riddance.

anyway: for serious sim/management fans this game is bad probably. if you are genuinely thrilled every time you hear jurassic park music and see a t-rex roaring and are ten years old like me it's the best thing ever.

final review: the load screens have movie quotes on them and one of them is "'ALAN!' - Dream Raptor"

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:54 am

Bal wrote:Went on a bit of a Nintendo kick this past week. Having skipped the WiiU, and the Wii for that matter, Super Mario 3D World was quite appealing, and hearing how above and beyond the Bowser's Fury addition is I was sold, and damn, it's pretty incredible. 3D World itself is extremely good and expansive, but Bowser's Fury is like a secret Odyssey DLC. Mostly still plays like 3D world, but better movement, full 3D Mario style level design, and a bunch of other rad stuff I won't spoil. The package is definitely worth it, particularly if you skipped 3D World the first time around.

Then I found myself enjoying the Captain Toad levels a lot and there's a game that's just that but better, so I picked that up on Switch too, it having been ported some time ago. Extremely delightful and chill experience. The main Mario team making a sort of puzzle platformer works out exactly as well as you might imagine.

If you skipped the Wii, you might want to check out 3D All-Stars, too. The Galaxy games are great.

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:47 pm

I was considering it, but 3D All-Stars is not a very good value proposition for me. I played 64 and Sunshine to death when they were new, and without Galaxy 2 I can't really justify the expense or supporting Nintendo's bizarre limited time offer scheme with that title.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:51 pm

Oh right, I forgot it was just the first Galaxy.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:53 pm

(Though it's worth adding that the limited-release shenanigans mean it's likely to keep its value and you can probably at least break even if you sell it when you're done with it.)

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:39 pm

loop hero is a really good way to lose eight hours without realizing it as most of the internet has made clear over the last week, but i come here bearing important news beyond "idle-deck-builder-rogue-lite is good at wasting your time and you should play it probably?":

open the goddamn variables.ini file before you do anything else and change "game speed" from 60 to 120. you can go even higher/faster if you want, but the game desperately needs a 4x speed function and switching it functionally from 1x/2x to 2x/4x will make those eight vanishing hours even more full of lich-killing goodness.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:27 pm

Those devs have a weird habit of not adding really basic functionality that their engine already totally supports. There's no borderless (or even bordered) fullscreen window mode either, but hacking it with third party apps works fine. It's just one of those irritating programs that disables the resizing controls for no bloody reason at all.