Final fucking fantasy 22 3/4

Friday

Re: Final fucking fantasy 22 3/4

Postby Friday » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:32 pm

Thad, if Barrett's backstory made sense then how could you go straight from it to racing a chocobo through an acidscape

It wouldn't mesh
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:43 pm

Nono, the part right before the Chocobo Race is "Barrett's best friend is crazy and wants to kill everybody," which is really just Final Fantasy Stock Villain Trope #6.

The part I'm talking about is the "Shinra burns down Barrett's hometown for no reason, and everybody blames Barrett for it, also possibly for no reason" part. That's not the part right before you race the pastel-colored bird across Rainbow Road, it's the part right before the giant stuffed animal joins your party.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:49 pm

oh right my mistake
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Thad wrote:ETA Okay yeah, there is one, the SYW upscale, and apparently it is compatible with Reunion.

Dang, wish I'd known that before I got 18 hours into the game.

Yeah, I played it for a couple hours yesterday and it really is pretty impressive. Smeary in places, and everything's way too glossy, but that's mid-90s textures for you; all the surfaces look like something out of Myst.

I'm not going to replay the first half of the game again, but I'm tempted to replay the first few hours just to look around Midgar. Then again, Midgar might be the environment that benefits the least from this kind of upscale, given the aforementioned coat of gloss it adds.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:02 pm

Fucking game crashed twice on the fucking snowfield so I may be done for awhile. Until I get that second Windows computer to try it on or work out a way to save anywhere. (Seems like there should be a mod for that.)

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:33 pm

they're remaking final fantasy vii

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:36 pm

jokes aside: this looks great. it's going to be mobile and episodic, both of which raise red flags, and it's hard to really get an idea of what the combat is like from this trailer (seems to be spending atb bars with various options on the buttons on the bottom of the screen, but i can't tell if you're maneuvering characters or if it's purely menu based), but the idea teased at the end that they're going to remake the entirety of compilation of ff7 in one cohesive style is pretty compelling.

i get the feeling it's going to be more like "hitting the big story beats and sequences with episodes and having little filler text/videos in between" rather than full on remaking every single thing together, but bringing before crisis and dirge of cerberus and crisis core and even advent children altogether into a single gameplay and art style is a cool idea. plus the HDchibi just looks fuckin sharp.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:35 pm

Thad wrote:The part I'm talking about is the "Shinra burns down Barrett's hometown for no reason, and everybody blames Barrett for it, also possibly for no reason" part. That's not the part right before you race the pastel-colored bird across Rainbow Road, it's the part right before the giant stuffed animal joins your party.

When I replayed that part it struck me as a real missed opportunity for the town to come to grips with the fact that they blamed Barrett for Shinra's villainy because Shinra was so much more powerful than they were that actually blaming them wouldn't give them any closure

Props to Tim Rogers for assuring me the original Japanese script doesn't do this any better

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:08 pm

Also in case anyone was wondering what happened with me playing the fan translation, I got to chocobo breeding and was like "nope"

I might try going back and finishing it one of these days. Maybe just use a save editor and drop a black chocobo in my party. Gold if I wanna get fancy.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:12 pm

You could just not.

Or... wait, is black required? There's so much crap in that game.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:23 pm

It's required to access a couple areas, anyway.

I think you can get to Vincent's Origin Story Cave with the sub. You need a black chocobo to get to Typhon or something. Seems like there may have been some other stuff.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:10 pm

Looks like many more Square Enix remakes are on the way

Forever Entertainment will be working with Square Enix on remakes of “several” titles which will reportedly all be from the same “brand” that the publisher owns.

So probably Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Though it's possible they could have more Mana remakes coming. Even SaGa has seen something of a resurgence following the success of Octopath Traveler. (Which really isn't a very SaGa-y game except for the SaGa Frontier-like hook of picking a character at the beginning and eventually meeting up with other characters.)

As per the article, Forever Entertainment’s projects will feature “a new graphic design”. Purists, fret not: “gameplay and scenario” elements of the final games will remain consistent with the original versions. All the games are going to come from the same Square Enix brand, but that doesn’t really narrow it down. From the sounds of things, we’re not expecting projects on the same scale as Final Fantasy 7 Remake, either.

DQ had a tradition from the SFC era onward of remaking the earlier games in the latest game's engine; first they remade DQ1-3 in the DQ5 engine for SFC, then DQ4-6 remade in the DQ7 engine for PS1 and DS, and finally DQ7 and 8 remade in the DQ9 engine for 3DS. And since then...mostly a bunch of lazy cell phone ports, which is a damn shame. I'd love to see the early DQ games remade in the DQ11 engine. Or the later ones. DQ8 was just too much for 3DS, and DQ9 was a great game that deserves another look.

On the Final Fantasy side, they've been rereleasing the same damn WonderSwan versions of 1&2 for the past 20 years, occasionally adding a new dungeon (GBA) or new graphics (PSP). 4-6 got some excellent releases on GBA, but those weren't significantly different from the original versions either mechanically or graphically; they got new localizations and some QoL improvements and bonus dungeons but were pretty close to the SNES originals. And then those are the versions of 5 and 6 that keep getting ported to everything else.

3 and 4 were the only games that really got substantial, ground-up reworkings. That was all the way back on the DS, and then instead of more FF remakes we got Bravely Default, and those same DS versions of FF3&4 ported to everything else for years, and a dozen years of just the same old ports getting rereleased over and over again and then BAM, FF7 Remake, and so maybe they figure it's time to look back at the earlier games again. Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the other games redone in the Ever Crisis engine.

Then again, the announcement makes it sound like it's just the old games with new graphics again. So it could just be that, too.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 pm

It'd be nice to know more about the new Pixel Remasters (though I guess 1-3 are due out within the month, so it won't be long). I still think it's probably just a new coat of paint on the same damn GBA editions, but apparently they've at least got new music.

And Chris Kohler and Patrick Klepek think that the new sprites for the SNES trilogy are meant to recreate what the original sprites looked like on a CRT, and I think they probably have a point. It's an interesting approach, and I like it a lot better than the smeary nonsense of the cell phone versions.

Though I'd prefer full-on ground-up mechanical reworkings rather than just another new coat of paint. I've said it before, but I really don't have the patience for unavoidable random encounters that I used to. That's one of the reasons I haven't gotten around to finishing Octopath Traveler.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:05 pm

Retail for the collection of all six on Steam is like $90. Absolutely criminal.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:10 pm

That's nuts even for SE. Don't the individual entries go for $10? I mean, the last round of reskins. The fugly cell phone ones.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:50 pm

Nintendo sold $3-for-60 an incomplete set of badly emulated romdumps, and slapped an artificial scarcity for digital content scheme on top of it. And because they're Nintendo, that's now the standard for acceptable publisher behavior.

$15 a pop for a set of rereleases with a half-assed, okay third-assed amount of effort to them? Sure the very few actual sprites shown in the trailer (for good reason) look only slightly better than the Android ones in practice, and sure the whole thing is a cynical attempt to take advantage of a extremely panderable market, and sure I take personal fucking offense that they'd slap together a 'remake' of FF6 which mostly removes everything that makes the original special - AGAIN - and sure I will never give SE another red cent for the rest of my life because of it, but you know what? Compared to the SOP in 2021? They're practically selling The Orange Box.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:02 pm

A look at FF3 Pixel Remaster.

I do like the 16-bit-style makeover. But yeah it sounds like it's what everybody expected, same old game with a fresh coat of paint, and that feels like a real missed opportunity.

Though FF3, at least, is already pretty good in its original incarnation; certainly the most playable of the original Famicom trilogy.

If there's any game in the series that would really benefit from a total mechanical overhaul, it's 2. There's a game that's fascinating as hell but just an absolute chore to play.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:34 pm

Bought FF7 Remake. Still not loving the combat but it's growing on me. There's a lot to like about the new systems, too, like weapons leveling up and conferring abilities (FF9-style) so that it's not just a straight "buy new sword, don't need the old one anymore" progression.

I do love the soundtrack, and there's a lot to like about this take on the world.

Most of the changes are at least interesting -- like okay, here's a new spin on the old story. Introducing Sephiroth and the burning of Nibelheim earlier, having fucking Dementors show up when you first meet Aerith, that kinda thing.

The one change that really seems like it misses the entire point of FF7 is padding it out with bullshit earlygame RPG cliches like hunting rats and finding kitty-cats. The #1 reason people are still talking about FF7 is the cutscenes. The #2 reason is that it didn't have any of that bullshit in the earlygame. (Plenty of bullshit later on, but the earlygame is brisk and held people's attention. Which wasn't new to FF7, mind; the series had done a pretty good job of getting right into the action since, what, FF2?)

Also it's the kind of thing that punches your suspension of disbelief right in the dick, because by the nature of how games work, the amount of money you make for killing a few low-level monsters around the slums comes out to about the same amount you get for the major fucking terrorist attack on a power plant you just participated in. That's the sort of thing you're supposed to avoid calling attention to, game.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:28 pm

I just assumed it was a tell that Cloud was role-playing as a mercenary and not really acting like one.

Have you tried both combat systems?

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:50 pm

Yeah, I tried "classic" on the demo and it put me off the game entirely. It's "classic" in the same way that FF15's "wait mode" was wait mode. Which is to say that it is a lie.

--

Tifa: I guess we've got to go to plan E.
Cloud: Plan E?
Barret: Yeah. Plan A is if things went off without a hitch. And then plan B was the backup plan, and so on.

Game, are you fucking explaining the alphabet to me?

Jesus Christ, Japan. Just, Jesus Christ.