Blizzard Presents:Pixar's Monday Night Fortress [Overwatch]

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Blizzard Presents:Pixar's Monday Night Fortress [Overwatch]

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 04, 2016 3:33 pm

Basically, in TF2 my strong classes were Soldier and Engie (needless to say, I need no encouragement to migrate sentry positions frequently) and I was situationally competent with a pretty fair number of other classes. So far, the engie analogues have been better for me than most classes, but have been frustrating or boring at times (Torbjorn seems boring though I can't say why, Symmetra requires good management of a large number of moving parts to maximize, and using Bastion offensively has been a disaster for me), and I really don't want to purely engie anyway. The only one that feels even close to being as deep and devilish as TF2 engie is Symmetra.

Making Overwatch TF2 Soldier (or some other heavy damage high mobility combat class) work for me would go a long way towards leaning me to getting the game. Soldier 76 seems a little anemic unless you're getting headshots (I am, but not enough), Junkrat is okay but not great for me, and Pharah and D.Va are definitely dying too quick with little effect most of the time.

Reaper's at the top of my list to try next. He might turn out well.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed May 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Okay, didn't see that Newbie had updated that the reddit post was apparently bullshit and they weren't extending the closed beta invites.

And yet I did actually have them in a separate email that got flagged as semi-spam by gmail. So now I have a free beta key to give away too.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 05, 2016 11:26 am

So now that the beta's open, are more any of y'alls going to play today?

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu May 05, 2016 2:38 pm

Yeah, I'm in it. I've got shit to do this evening, but I'll probably be dicking with it over the weekend. I'll probably be rubbish. It's been years since I bothered with any twitchy shooters that weren't pewpew spacey ships, though I seem to be murdering pretty effectively with the cowboy guy. That's kind of galling, actually. Out of a whole cast of cliches, he takes the taco. It's a shame I really dig flashbang-fan the hammer-roll reload-fan the hammer. That shit is obscene even if you don't land headshots. And that's before you even bother with that deadeye ultimate, which is either a damp squib or a non-stop cavalcade of one-shot hilarity.

Sharkey#1974

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 05, 2016 2:47 pm

He's currently the DPS king by a mile and the flash-fan combo has no counter other than "Don't be alone", so expect him to get hit with the nerf bat soon. Again.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu May 05, 2016 3:03 pm

I apparently have some kind of spider sense that guides me straight to the most broken shit. I got MVP on my second match, so that's gotta be busted.

Anyway, this is a damn pretty game. It's just weird that for all they've tried to cram personality into this thing it's just so... bland. Bland Blandy McBlanderson from Blandstown, Blandsylvania. Cowboy Guy, Armor Dude, Crazy Bomb Fuck, Scottish Dwarf Engineer, Cold Bitch Sniper, Gentle Robot, Ninja Guy, Other Ninja Guy... the most unique is motherfucking Indistinguishable-From-a-Champions-Character Scientist Gorilla. Or maybe Ice Climber whoever. Or Tits Zangief. And man, I so look forward to unlocking more of those voice clips. "Wanted, dead or alive!" sure does flesh out Sam Marston's dogshit doppelganger.

I didn't think it was possible to appreciate the personality in TF2s characters any more than I already did, but here we are.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 05, 2016 3:12 pm

So Mercy turned out to be just terrible for me, but this is more a function of not being able to get a button configuration that works for her as well as all my other heroes (I use several additional mouse buttons), but it seems like Blizzard has said that per-character key configurations are coming soon, so, fingers crossed, I will give her a try once that happens (I really hope it comes soon, because I can think of at least 2-3 heroes beside Mercy that will be easier or smoother to play with custom keybinds).

Reaper was okay, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting in close with him. Widowmaker was surprisingly not bad, though I wish she had a better zoom function on the scope. It's weird how I'm actually okay with Sniper and Scout in this game considering how these were among my worst classes in TF2.

So far I can genuinely do well with Junkrat and pull my weight reasonably well with the Engies (Bastion/Toblerone/Symmetra). As I was saying yesterday, if I can get a couple more non-engie classes to the point where I can do decently well, I will pick this up. Pharah didn't get any better for me, but D.Va improved a little.

One of the brobdingnagiest indicators of doing well seems to be that I can properly make use of all of a given character's abilities. Junkrat is the furthest I've got with this, but I'm pretty good about using all of Tracer's abilities too. Toblerone and Bastion are non-issues there because they're simpler characters in terms of abilities (I really prefer Bastion to Toblerone for a pure sentry-building character). I'm having a lot of trouble keeping everyone shielded and also keeping up >3 minisentries with Symmetra - I think I can also do well with her if I can somehow solve the problem of managing so many bits, but it's tough. And I still need to figure out at least 1-2 more non-Junkrat, non-Engie characters that I can really do well with in order to be able to contribute properly.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 05, 2016 3:14 pm

Sharkey wrote:I apparently have some kind of spider sense that guides me straight to the most broken shit. I got MVP on my second match, so that's gotta be busted.

Anyway, this is a damn pretty game. It's just weird that for all they've tried to cram personality into this thing it's just so... bland. Bland Blandy McBlanderson from Blandstown, Blandsylvania. Cowboy Guy, Armor Dude, Crazy Bomb Fuck, Scottish Dwarf Engineer, Cold Bitch Sniper, Gentle Robot, Ninja Guy, Other Ninja Guy... the most unique is motherfucking Indistinguishable-From-a-Champions-Character Scientist Gorilla. Or maybe Ice Climber whoever. Or Tits Zangief. And man, I so look forward to unlocking more of those voice clips. "Wanted, dead or alive!" sure does flesh out Sam Marston's dogshit doppelganger.

I didn't think it was possible to appreciate the personality in TF2s characters any more than I already did, but here we are.

Yeah, sadly it's super suuuuperrrr bland.

The one character that seem to have genuine personality is Lucio. I really like all his lines (Hockey fan Brazilian?!! WTF?!?!) and he's always pumped, like "Aw YEAH! This is MY JAM!" and then you imagine the Space Jam theme playing.

EDIT: I think the issue is really they refused to let them be idiosyncratic at all. I mean, the character designs are OK. Not great, but ok. But the dialogue is like, the most generic pablum imaginable. Nothing even remotely close to "Well, I'm off to see your mother!" or "I am not one of your fried chicken hussies!" here.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu May 05, 2016 3:47 pm

Mongrel wrote:But the dialogue is like, the most generic pablum imaginable. Nothing even remotely close to "Well, I'm off to see your mother!" or "I am not one of your fried chicken hussies!" here.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Thu May 05, 2016 3:53 pm

I'm really enjoying the game! I keep trying other characters but I just keep going back to Reinhardt. Something about the ability - and designated role - to wade into enemies, disrupt them and tear them to pieces is probably one of the best experiences I've had in a shooter in a long time.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Thu May 05, 2016 4:59 pm

mrsmilering#1379

Most of the characters are fun, but I just don't like any of the assault characters. Maybe I'll get used to them one day when everyone else isn't stacking tracers with no support or tank on my teams. Not that that's a problem, because playing support or tank is fun in this game.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 05, 2016 5:33 pm

Mongrel#11155 just in case it was missed.

Tanks are the class I'm worst with and least like overall, so hopefully we can cobble together a functional team :x

Starr is also going to get in on the open beta at least.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu May 05, 2016 6:09 pm

Just fucking around with bots to make a point, but this shit happens way more often than it should:

That is just dumb.

Also, they had goddamn better have a push to youtube feature ready when this thing launches. I can't imagine how fucked up an oversight that would be.

Postby Newbie » Thu May 05, 2016 6:17 pm

You sure about that number, M? I really thought Blizz IDs had to suffix a four-digit code, but I can give it a try as-is when I get home from work.
tiny text

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu May 05, 2016 6:45 pm

... wow, today's patch made Bastion more durable in turret mode. the fuck even

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Yep, absolutely sure. It might be mine is a more common name and therefore gets a longer number.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 pm

You know, it almost sounds like we have the beginnings of a good team here. The only thing we lack between us is at least one healer to switch in. Meanwhile, Robot Monk's ultimate is still so fucking bonkers I love it. Especially just going to the front and body blocking everything, which nobody seems to understand. I keep seeing Zenyoyo players using that as some kind of retreat tool, which is fucking weirdly stupid. Maybe I'm missing something or it might just be early days.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu May 05, 2016 8:02 pm

Joxam#1733

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu May 05, 2016 8:33 pm

I deleted a whole team with McCree's ult. It was magical. Dude is crazy as shit and he's got a dash, a flash bang, two modes of fire and his ult. Easily the least intense hero I've tried so far, and yet so fun.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Thu May 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Mazian#11509. Just started the download, so who knows if it'll even run on this system.

Mongrel wrote:Yep, absolutely sure. It might be mine is a more common name and therefore gets a longer number.

I'd be surprised if that's why I ended up with a 5-digit number. Made me get a new public ID, but miraculously the battle.net login and password still worked. It shows I registered my StarCraft key in 2009, and that's probably the last time I used it.