Shin Megami Threadsei

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Shin Megami Threadsei

Postby Mongrel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:27 pm

Thad wrote:
Defenestration wrote:http://www.personaproblems.com/

A professional translator's take on the not-perfect localization of Persona 5. While the bits about why it's subpar are listed, that's not the main reason I found it interesting. While some errors in P5 are easy to spot casually, it is still pretty easy to consume. Though it makes good points about why that isn't and shouldn't be acceptable for a work as notable as P5, I'm pretty easygoing.
I thought it was interesting for a professional's take on translation in general, and the in depth look at methodology and ideals that he lays out.

Consider—how would readers react if George R. R. Martin released his next book and every third sentence was awkward, with every fifth sentence containing an objective error?

I mean I'm pretty sure the overwhelming reaction would be "holy shit, he actually finished it."

That or "Well, I guess it's still better than the 6th season of the show".

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:20 pm

File under "unintended consequences":

In the third semester in Royal, there's a new section of Mementos that's inverted -- you start at the bottom and climb back up.

Only, when Mona tells you that the target you're looking for is in an area past the one you're currently in, the localization hasn't changed -- he still uses the word "deeper", even though you're actually supposed to go up.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:22 pm

Strikers is okay - if you like Persona 5 and you like Warriors games you will find Strikers is pleasantly both - but the main draw is the remixes.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:25 pm

more importantly i just bought all three dancing games for 16 bucks and am ready for an EXTREMELY canonical gameplay experience

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:48 pm

Finally finished Persona 5 Royal. Took a total of 129 hours and change. Did not max out relationships with Hermit, Hanged Man, or Tower. And I always get tired of the "make this persona with this ability" minigame after the first couple ranks, so no Strength either.

A little bummed about not quite making it to 10 with Futaba; she and Haru had such limited availability that it felt like I had to choose between them. But ah well.

I liked the new chapter; I think it was solid. The ending was good and I feel like it nailed the sort of wistful melancholy of saying goodbye to your friends when you leave high school.

A good entry; I enjoyed it and I'd say most of that 129 hours was well-spent. Don't see me going back and replaying it anytime soon. Though maybe I'll finish 4 one of these days.