Shin Megami Threadsei

pacobird

Re: Shin Megami Threadsei

Postby pacobird » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:10 pm

Friday wrote:
impossible, unless you prepare in advance with the right buildout, then it's easy

That's funny. I've been playing through megawads in Doom recently and have been thinking about exactly this.

Doom is infamous for it's "monster closets" and traps in general. Most of the time they're fine, but on harder wads they're fucking stupid. A wall suddenly vanishing behind me revealing ten chaingunners who deal 600% damage in 1.5 seconds isn't "fun" in any actual definition of the word.

This was my experience waaaaay back when with the first Max Payne, where every single room was essentially a puzzle you had to solve in three seconds. It's not a bad idea per se but just led to a lot of tedious reloading. It took Superhot to get it right, I think.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:24 pm

It's funny because I was also complaining about it in #ff, and I mentioned that I hate using saves in Doom because they drain the tension (and therefore, for me, the fun) right out. And that I hated quicksaves in general and try not to use them, unless the game is built around it, like Max Payne.
ImageImageImage

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:23 pm

Absolutely right there with you. The visceral rush of a good shooter is the main reason to play a shooter IMO so forcing people to learn ambush layouts through reloading rather than allowing them to AT LEAST get to bosses through raw skill and gameplay/weapon knowledge pretty much by definition makes your shooter less worthwhile than just watching a good action movie

incidentally this is my favorite thing about ffxiv: its long-ass curve lets it subtly and patiently give you all the tools you need to finish basically every non-Savage fight on the first try, even as they get ever-more complex

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:26 pm

Thad wrote:What's the state of Vita emulation? I don't know if I can get that Mayflash dongle to work with my PSTV, but it should work on my PC, and I think the Vita's been cracked thoroughly enough at this point that I could copy my save over.

(I know there's a PC version but I'm not going to switch to that because (1) Denuvo and (2) there's no goddamn way I'm starting over from the beginning again.)

I looked into it and apparently Vita emulation still isn't in a playable state, but there is a script to convert Vita saves to PC saves. Still the Denuvo problem, though.

I've started playing games with standard controllers again. It's still uncomfortable and I'm gonna need to see a doctor about my joint pain one of these days when I'm less worried about the plague, but I expect I'll get back to P4G on the PSTV someday. (Though I'm still working on 5 Royal at the moment, and I've also got Yakuza: Like a Dragon Quest and DQ11 on my PS4 and haven't started either one of them yet.)

There's an Undub hack of the Vita version that replaces the audio with the original Japanese. That might be worth checking out at some point, though I'd worry about whether my existing save would work with a modded version of the game.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:29 pm

It's sort of hilarious that "English subtitles on something Japanese" is considered a hack.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:55 pm

It...is, though? Somebody took the US version of the ROM and modified it, to replace all the English-language audio with the original Japanese. (From what I've read, it also apparently corrects several errors in the display and subtitles.) I guess it might not be the first thing someone would think of when they hear "ROM hack" -- it's not, like, Mega Man in the Mushroom Kingdom or anything -- but it's still an unofficial modification of a ROM. Like, say, that MSU-1 version of Mega Man X3 that replaces the SNES soundtrack with the terrible PS1/Saturn version.

Including multilingual audio on games is still a pretty recent development, and largely a result of platforms (PC and newer consoles) where games run from a hard drive and therefore aren't constrained by the storage space limitations of cartridge or optical media. Persona 4 is about 3.2GB, give or take; I'm not sure how much of that is voice audio, but I think there's a significant chance that multilingual audio on the PS2 would have meant using a dual-layer DVD instead of single-layer, and simply would have been too big for a Vita game, full-stop (a quick glance at Vita game sizes indicates that being bigger than 3GB is atypical, and I don't see anything in the list that's bigger than 4GB).

Persona 5 doesn't need a modified version to restore the Japanese audio; it's included as an option in the base game. That's pretty common now, especially on something as super-Japanese as SMT, but the gap between Persona 4 and Persona 5 is eight years and two console generations. (There's a PS3 version of Persona 5, but AFAICT it was never localized outside Japan.)

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:24 pm

the ps3 version of persona 5 came out in the us, that's how i played it

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:31 pm

incidentally this is my favorite thing about ffxiv: its long-ass curve lets it subtly and patiently give you all the tools you need to finish basically every non-Savage fight on the first try, even as they get ever-more complex

at the risk of turning this into a thread about ffxiv praising: yes

my favorite daily to get was always titan though, because his only mechanics is "face me away from the other 7" as the tank, so I could just watch and laugh at all the other people who failed his other mechanic, which was "move or you are so dead that you can't be brought back"
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:32 pm

also i did titan one time as a dps and the tank didn't know to face him away so everyone fucking died to his cleaving tankbuster as I'm droping my rotation and dps to near zero, frantically typing FACE HIM AWAY over and over
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:53 pm

I seem to be approaching the original endgame -- it's November and I've reached the palace where the game's in media res opening scene takes place.

I found a spoiler-free guide on how to unlock the third semester and found that the requirements are pretty straightforward and well-signposted -- the game gives you a lot of nudges that hey, Maruki is leaving soon, you really should go see him while you still can.

A little more underhanded is that in order to get the true ending, you also need to reach rank 8 with another confidant before November 17, and you've got a pretty tight window to do so (rank 6 unlocks November 2) and there are some dialogue options that can lock you out of it and I definitely would have chosen one of them if I hadn't looked up a guide first. Can't say as I'm a fan of that.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:27 pm

IIRC, that's why I quit playing P3, after realizing I'd locked myself out of a major character because the opportunity only came up on a single day, I and had rolled over just enough save slots to not be able to go back.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:20 pm

Yeah, I'd say it's gotten better (never played Persona 3, but just from what I've read) but there are still snags like that. (At any rate, having hit the requirements for the True Ending, I think I can safely say I wouldn't have flagged both dialogue options it would have taken to lock me out of it, but I'm also not sure I would have focused on maxing out that particular confidant if a walkthrough hadn't told me to. Though again, at least the game heavily signposts "you need to go see this guy while you still can" for the confidant who unlocks the third semester.)

Got to 11/14 and there was nothing to do during the day so I went ahead and headed into the dungeon. From what I've seen online 11/17 is the deadline for a lot of the big event stuff.

Current standings:

Maxed out Priestess, Lovers, Temperance, Star, Moon, Sun, and Faith. Justice and Councillor aren't maxed but are where they need to be to unlock the postgame. Emperor, Chariot, and Death are all at level 9; I was hoping to max them but I hit 11/14 and none of them were available that day so I figured fuck it, I'll finish the dungeon first.

As far as other party members, I'm only at 3 with Empress, and I never got my Kindness high enough to get past 1 with Hermit.

Got Hierophant up to level 6 but I'm at a wall, again because of my Kindness score. Fortune's at 7 but I haven't made it back to Mementos since getting that far. Haven't bothered much with the rest -- Devil is at 4, Strength and Hanged at 2, Tower at 1. Not sure how much time I've got to level any of those up, either before the original endgame or whether any of them are even available during semester 3. Figuring I should at least be able to max out either Ryuji or Yusuke before the deadline, and maybe both.

Went with Hifumi for the romance. Tried for the Back-Alley Doctor but found that option surprisingly boring so I restored from my previous save and opted for Hifumi instead. I was hoping the Doctor would at least be weird, but I guess they poured so much ick factor into the whole "homeroom teacher is moonlighting as a prostitute and shows up at your house dressed as a French maid and calls you Master" romance option that the other "grown woman dating a high school student" romance option seems mundane by comparison.

I mean if I had my actual choice, Joker/Akechi is a staggeringly obvious ship, but this remains a series where the homoerotic subtext is overwhelming but the actual text's idea of queerness has a range from "flamboyant drag queen" to "sexual predator who dresses like Akbar and Jeff". At least I haven't seen anything as horrifying as the bathhouse dungeon from Persona 4, so...progress?

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:41 pm

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:35 pm

My favorite SMT character, Fortnite Joker.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:09 pm

It's only a matter of time before Fortnite gets Sonic, and the world ends.
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:08 pm

In 2025 you watch Disney and play Fortnite, and there's nothing else.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:26 pm

beatbandito wrote:In 2025 you watch Disney and play Fortnite, and there's nothing else.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:00 pm

That's not the real twitter

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:15 pm

Lottel wrote:That's not the real twitter

if Joker isn't in Fortnite, how do you explain this?

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:56 pm

game i am 83 fucking hours in did you seriously just spend 20 lines of dialogue explaining to me that i need to look around until i find the necessary item to progress to the next part of the dungeon