Tabletop & Board Games

JD

Re: Tabletop & Board Games

Postby JD » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:02 am

You can actually buy a product called Gaming Paper, which is basically just a roll of brown paper with a grid on it for $5.

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:01 am

For many years now I've been low-key hunting for a dungeon crawl boardgame to introduce my partner to the hobby - she's always been a massive nerd but grew up sexy and blonde in Essex which rather discouraged the local 80s D&D community from talking to her. We've picked up the Grimhaven starter and Mantic's Dungeon Saga but they're very prep and tome and dice heavy for someone that had to raise themselves solo on videogame fantasy fare.

This, though. This might be it.

(Assuming it can be modded)

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:45 am

My friends and I played a ton of the first edition of Descent: Journeys in the Dark, and the few that had tried D&D but didn't stick to it seemed to love it. The second edition added pretty solid progression system, so probably worth a shot?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:39 pm

Descent has a pretty long pedigree at this point. I can't say I've ever been much of a fan of dungeon-crawler boardgames* but I have played Descent and it didn't seem unduly horrible (granted that was way back, in first edition).

*Dungeon crawling has always seemed like the most pointless and brain-dead part of D&D games to me - go on any adventure you want anywhere you want, with whatever character, but everyone just all goes back to the same generic hole again and again? Perfect example of "The Good Old Days" being horrible, IMO.

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:49 pm

No disagreement, it's just that we're old and tired and not going to be gathering six people twice a month in any conceivable future so the brain dead part is really a selling point. The primary purpose here is an excuse to build and paint minis & scenery.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:20 pm

Yoji circa late 2020: I'd really like to do tabletop RPGs with my kids. They're not ready yet, but it wouldn't hurt to come up with some stuff when they are. D&D, I guess? That's the biggest and most familiar, and it's not like it's going away soon.

Yoji circa right now: Well, everyone is so mad about D&D that I just got passively scolded online for breathing the name. I guess I should find an alternative.

While I've been looking around, I also started wondering about how much luck seems to be involved in the game. I listened to a live play D&D podcast for a while and it seemed alright, but it sure seems like people can get messed up by bad rolls. Insert redbubble shirt about dice trying to kill you, etc. And I've fiddled around with short single-player scenarios just to see what it's about, and again my fate sure seemed to hinge mostly on random numbers. It's no Snakes and Ladders or Candyland for sure, but I wonder if there's anything out there with more emphasis on skill or making choices.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Angry Beaver

Postby Angry Beaver » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:39 pm

I've had some success GMing for my 9 y/o playing "Lasers and Feelings", it's a mostly narrative game. In the same vein but slightly more complex "Amazing Tales" is on my shelf for playing with kids (though I admit I never quite got around to it).

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:31 pm

Risus the Anything RPG might be a good one as well, and is free. It was the initial framework of my favorite RPG live play podcast: Dinosaur Park.
Risus
Dinosaur Park

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:26 am

Yoji wrote:Yoji circa right now: Well, everyone is so mad about D&D that I just got passively scolded online for breathing the name. I guess I should find an alternative.

I mean, you can always go with Pathfinder if you want D&D without the corporate baggage
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.