Tabletop & Board Games

hngkong

Re: Tabletop & Board Games

Postby hngkong » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 pm

Wow, that seems like a pretty glowing review. And Silver, that sounds good to me! My brother lives right near Gen Con.
I guess I'd better look into it more. Maybe it's something we can play on the boards/discord?

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:34 pm

This is just a brief transition period before we have replicated PADDs and can spill as much coffee on them as we like. It's the sweet spot really though, because caffeine is still legal.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:29 pm

Silversong wrote:...I am deeply upset by the concept of a game in which I do not have the character sheet in a format in which I can spill coffee upon.

You can spill coffee on your phone/laptop.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:05 pm

Silversong wrote:...I am deeply upset by the concept of a game in which I do not have the character sheet in a format in which I can spill coffee upon.

The ability to spill coffee upon a character sheet requires possession of coffee, which is impossible for someone who only drinks the most elegant of teas.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:43 am

She never said it was her own coffee. Coffee can come from a lot of places!

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:55 pm

Z%rø wrote:Hey, I know I haven't been around, but I just wanted to check in

to make sure that nobody is playing Shadowrun 5e, because that shit is garbage

It's been a little over three years since I posted this, and in the meantime I've tried two new systems and realized what Shadowrun 5e actually accomplishes.

Yeah it's poorly edited, and it's fucking ridiculous in a lot of it's rules, but it gets something right that has out and out fucked me on my subsequent games I try to run: Balance and power curves.

See, in SR5, everyone's just a person shooting a gun or casting spells that don't scale. They don't actually get stronger. So that means that the curve of power is "Yes, you get marginally better at shoot gun over time, but you never become the GOD of gun." WHICH HAS BEEN AN ISSUE IN GENESYS AND STARS WITHOUT NUMBER.

Combat in both of those systems, in order to maintain challenge in combat, must quickly become a fucking slog of enemies because if you try to throw smaller groups of equal power units, it doesn't work. Players have so many tricks up their sleeves and are so strong they can take on entire squads. The only dangerous level is level 1.

So anyway I'm reading the Shadowrun 5e rule book again

Angry Beaver

Postby Angry Beaver » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:22 pm

I haven't played Shadowrun proper since I ran a game here/on pyoko. That's probably 15 years or more. I love the setting, but the rules back in 3e were hot trash.

Is 5e any better than running the setting in Savage Worlds?

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:09 pm

Angry Beaver wrote:I haven't played Shadowrun proper since I ran a game here/on pyoko. That's probably 15 years or more. I love the setting, but the rules back in 3e were hot trash.

When I tried a couple years ago, we got through... maybe half an hour of session in Shadowrun 5e, and then abandoned it for "port the setting to Savage Worlds."

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:25 pm

Man, it's a bummer to hear Lancer isn't as great as I hoped. Maybe it's just one of those things I have more fun thinking about than actually doing. "Dude, could we do something like the MGS2 Harrier fight? Or a multi-crew giant robot like that Meiji mech from Robot Carnival? Or a hundred other things I want to ruthlessly steal?"

Well, maybe I'll just go through the basic rules, anyway. Then check out something more down-to-earth like Shadowrun.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Postby Newbie » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:11 pm

My GM would be furious if he knew this conversation was happening and I hadn't recommended Champions/The HERO System, as it's designed to scale up in power real smoothly and fairly. I can't give it a recommendation without several qualifiers, though. First: if you're a huge fan of how systems like Powered by the Apocalypse abstract away the fiddly elements of how combat mechanics work by comparison to something like D&D, this is probably not the system for you. Second: I was never a huge fan of how the system handles normal-human-level gameplay. It's fine, but with a system with so many accommodations for high-powered play, mechs and superheroes and other larger-than-life powers, it just seemed ill-fitted for any game with humbler ambitions.
tiny text

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:34 pm

All my Lancer buddies are also a fan of Beam Saber. I don't have experience with it but I heard it's a good "mech anime" rpg

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:49 pm

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:24 pm

Grath wrote:
Angry Beaver wrote:I haven't played Shadowrun proper since I ran a game here/on pyoko. That's probably 15 years or more. I love the setting, but the rules back in 3e were hot trash.

When I tried a couple years ago, we got through... maybe half an hour of session in Shadowrun 5e, and then abandoned it for "port the setting to Savage Worlds."

The only dive I've really given into Savage Worlds was buying and looking into Interface Zero but for some reason the dice mechanics didn't really click with me. I read about it and while simple, I just don't think it's for me.

I think that from a glance, Savage Worlds trends too far into "Heroic" for it to translate well. The only edge you actually have over NPCs in Shadowrun is the actual edge stat - other than that, it's a pretty even playing field and it's easy to get out of your depth (Skills go from 0 to 12. 0 is untrained, 12 is the best in the world. a 6 is where you can get at chargen.)

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 pm

Newbie wrote:My GM would be furious if he knew this conversation was happening and I hadn't recommended Champions/The HERO System, as it's designed to scale up in power real smoothly and fairly. I can't give it a recommendation without several qualifiers, though. First: if you're a huge fan of how systems like Powered by the Apocalypse abstract away the fiddly elements of how combat mechanics work by comparison to something like D&D, this is probably not the system for you. Second: I was never a huge fan of how the system handles normal-human-level gameplay. It's fine, but with a system with so many accommodations for high-powered play, mechs and superheroes and other larger-than-life powers, it just seemed ill-fitted for any game with humbler ambitions.

I used to be THE fan of Hero System but frankly the fact it forces you to disassemble any ability into a itemized list of the ways by which it might hurt other people and if you forgot one, well, talk it over with the GM, is a bit annoying

Postby Newbie » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:33 pm

Right! Since you need to anticipate every use case for your abilities in advance, character creation is a fiddly process where you just kind of hope you're not kneecapping yourself in a way that you haven't noticed yet, and then it compounds the feeling that your character is nothing more than a collection of different-sized hammers, so you spend every session eyeballing nails.
tiny text

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:39 pm

Newbie wrote:Right! Since you need to anticipate every use case for your abilities in advance, character creation is a fiddly process where you just kind of hope you're not kneecapping yourself in a way that you haven't noticed yet, and then it compounds the feeling that your character is nothing more than a collection of different-sized hammers, so you spend every session eyeballing nails.

yeah, having to plot out every possible use case, plus painfully specific and horribly balanced point-buy rules, in a rulebook the size of a phone book

i mean it's a really bad game

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:58 pm

or just talk the GM into letting you use variable power pool and then it's christmas

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:03 am

https://venturebeat.com/2021/02/11/asmo ... es-online/

Seems bad? Asmodee is pretty bad at porting their own games online...

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:18 pm

Maybe they recognize that, which is why they've buying someone else's platform?

I guess we'll see!

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:09 am

Minor thing I could use a second opinion on.

We've decided that Sundays will be a "screen sabbath;" no video games or cartoons from sun-up to sun-down. Last weekend, that meant finally taking another swing at Outfoxed, and this weekend it might be a short 5e tutorial quest.

Among other things, I could use a grid.

I could've printed some grids and called it done. But then I saw an old shopping bag, decided I liked the color, and one thing lead to another.

Not the best thing in the world, but making it and trying something different was part of the fun. Next, it needs laminating, which I can do on the cheap with some drawer liner sheets (tested on that maze in the corner). It'll preserve the grid and let us use dry-erase markers.

What's stopping me is the back side.

It still has the old-timey drawings from the store on the back. Not a big deal, but I don't like it and I wonder what I can do about it. Whip up an alternate grid and slap it on the back? Paint over it? Just forget about it?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts