Poke a Mango

Rico

Re: Poke a Mango

Postby Rico » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:45 am

I still can't find an available trainer name I can live with. ;_;

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:07 am

So the closest gym and Pokestops near me are in a graveyard.

There is now a turf war between red and yellow for control of the mausoleum at the center. The idea that people are just heading into that graveyard regularly right now just to attempt to take or retain control of the gym amuses me to no end.

They could at least be thematic and try to populate the gym with ghost types.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:50 am

I was very disappointed to learn there's no psychic or ghost types in the graveyard near my place. I found a tough-ass Paras in a dumpster and right now a Magmar is the biggest, toughest dude I have. Still not level 5 though.

Things I need to learn: catching pokemon, what the fuck? sometimes it feels like you want a big full circle, sometimes a tight butthole, hitting them directly seems to be required but sometimes it bounces off their heads?

Also tracking, the rustling leaves only seem to actually turn something up half the time, and I have no idea how to track a single type.

Lastly, anyone have enough leveling experience to know if you want to power up to maximum cp before evolving, or just go for it?

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:11 am

Rico wrote:I still can't find an available trainer name I can live with. ;_;

Victory for me getting on in the first night, I managed to snag "Grath".

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:24 am

My friends demanded I go with "Brenty McBrentface" but only the McBrentface part fit. It's suitably amusing to have that on status screens and such.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:57 am

So this is Amazon's CTO:

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:48 pm

I used my first Lure Module. While it works as advertised and increases Pokeyspawns in the immediate area, there is no guarantee about the quality of the mons you get.

beatbandito wrote:I was very disappointed to learn there's no psychic or ghost types in the graveyard near my place. I found a tough-ass Paras in a dumpster and right now a Magmar is the biggest, toughest dude I have. Still not level 5 though.

Things I need to learn: catching pokemon, what the fuck? sometimes it feels like you want a big full circle, sometimes a tight butthole, hitting them directly seems to be required but sometimes it bounces off their heads?

Also tracking, the rustling leaves only seem to actually turn something up half the time, and I have no idea how to track a single type.

Lastly, anyone have enough leveling experience to know if you want to power up to maximum cp before evolving, or just go for it?

My biggest dude is a Pidgeot. Because my cup runneth over with Pidgey Candy. About half the gyms I've seen are controlled by a Pidgeot, a Raticate, or a Parasect, presumably for the same reason.

No, I stand corrected. Pigeot is my second-highest CP. Vaporeon is my highest.

For catching:
The concentric circles are important. The smaller the inner one, the better. But color matters too: green is easier to nab than yellow is easier than orange. Orange and red will pop out nearly every damn time, even with a tiny circle and a perfect curveball. Try Razz Berries, once you get them.

Sometimes the mon will do its attack animation. When it does that, Pokeballs bounce off it. It's pretty random when they do their pose, though, so it's mostly a "fuck you" to a perfect throw every once in a while.

I don't get the rustling leaves thing either. The radar seems to exist mostly to taunt me about mons that presumably lurk nearby but that I will never, ever find.

On power levels: When you go to your mon's status screen, they have a white arc above their head, probably filled only partway. That's how much they've leveled. It's possible to get a mon with that arc mostly full, and sometimes it's mostly empty. That's why sometimes that wild Rattata is CP 10 and sometimes it's CP 83.

As far as I can tell, that arc's progress is mostly or entirely kept when the guy evolves. So if you start with a powerful Rattata, you'll get a strong Raticate. If that's so, it wouldn't matter either way whether you fed your guys candy and stardust before or after they evolved.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:11 pm

Things I've noticed about CP, all of which may or may not be true:

* Every mon of the same type has the same max CP.
* The CP your mon has when it evolves affects the evolved mon's starting CP, but not its maximum.
* Evolved mons cost 4x+ more incense to power up than unevolved ones.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:15 pm

I caught an Eevee! I ordered a pizza for lunch and there was an Eevee in the parking lot of the pizza place.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:46 pm

So what you're saying is that that pizza was +EV

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:16 pm

Oh, speaking of the Lure Module. I was sitting by a Pokestop for about half an hour, and sure enough, after spitting pokeballs at me the first several times, it started telling me "come back later". I don't know if that's "Come back later when our servers are working properly" or "Come back later when there's more time elapsed to get more stuff", but hey, maybe they do run out.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:21 am

"Thanks for coming out!"

"Well," I didn't say, "The beer kind of sucked and you guys are way too drunk for me to actually enjoy being here, but this place is a Pokestop and I spent every couple of minutes looting it for balls and berries. So the night turned out okay."

Turns out there's no use limit based on time, or at least, not a reasonable one.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:21 pm

Metal Slime wrote:There is now a turf war between red and yellow for control of the mausoleum at the center. The idea that people are just heading into that graveyard regularly right now just to attempt to take or retain control of the gym amuses me to no end.

"The Gym is shut. It was made by those who are Dead, and the Dead keep it, until the time comes."

Anyway, Portland is just lousy with stops and mons and whatnot. Our apartment is apparently some kind of Eevee spawn point, so Des already has like eight of the things. I think she's getting them in the bathroom, because all I find in the living room are goddamn Pidgeys.

Place is fucking infested.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Por que, Mongrel?

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:24 pm

All I get is snakes and bats inside my apartment.

* Evolved mons cost 4x+ more incense to power up than unevolved ones.

This is not true, so there's really no reason at all not to evolve your mons first. It actually saves on incense in the short run.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:28 pm

all that spice going into the weedle

I legitimately feel like I'm getting way less mons than others seem to. It feels like I'm getting to two stops for every mon that spawns, even trash. It definitely doesn't help that there's not enough room in my apartment to trigger anything.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:43 pm

With Pokestops on hiking trails in the woods and such, I admit to a little concern about child predators using lure modules to snag kids playing the game.

Also, there's a McDonald's near me that is a Pokestop, because of this:

If I were them, I'd never not have a Lure module going. Seems like a good way to attract customers.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:43 am

Try this: nickname your Pokemon whatever autocorrect suggests based on their species name.

I now have a Ponyta named Donuts and I'm 100% okay with this decision.

Rico

Postby Rico » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:07 pm

Drowzee at the coffee shop first thing Monday morning. This will become Skynet.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:25 pm

Rico wrote:Drowzee at the coffee shop

How appropriate.