It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Thad

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:09 pm

BTW, if you want to check Linux/Proton compatibility, protondb.com is the place to do it.

It's crowdsourced, YMMV based on your distro and configuration, and the people submitting the ratings don't always respect the guidelines for them ("Platinum - minor graphical glitches" is not a thing, guys; if it's got graphical glitches, then it's Gold at best), but it's a good guideline. And of course Steam's generous return period means you can install a game, check and see if it runs, and return it if it doesn't.

Thad

Re: It's getting a little STEAMy in here.

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:27 am

Apparently the latest Steam update now allows you to run arbitrary .exe files inside Proton.

I haven't tried it yet. But I expect that for a lot of use-cases, external installers/launchers like Lutris shouldn't be necessary anymore; you should be able to install a non-Steam game within Steam, then launch it under Proton with the usual Steam wrapper stuff (controller support etc.).

I'm guessing Lutris will still be useful for games that don't work in Proton out of the box and need some additional configuration/third-party libraries/different versions of WINE/DXVK/etc. to run.