Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Game musings and news

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 06, 2022 6:05 pm

*snickering*

It's not a joke either.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 09, 2022 4:54 pm

Polygon has some fun screenshots of TMNT: Shredder's Revenge.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 27, 2022 4:34 pm

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:52 pm

Meow

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:17 pm

The PC versions of Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War must have done pretty well, because Sony's got big plans for porting more first-party games to PC. A couple weeks back it told investors it estimates a 375% increase in PC sales in FY2022, and then last week it followed up with an announcement of PC ports of the Spider-Man games. No Ghost of Tsushima announcement yet, but I expect it's coming eventually.

This seems sensible enough. Presumably they'll maintain the practice of releasing on console first and then on PC later; people who want to play the hot new game right now will still buy a PS5 (for purposes of this hypothetical we're assuming it's a couple years out and you can buy a PS5); people who were never going to buy a PS5 anyway might still buy the game later when it comes out on PC. About the only group of customers they stand to lose are guys like me -- I bought a PS4 when it was on sale for $200 because I wanted to play Spider-Man; if I'd expected the game to be out on PC in a year or two I might not have.

Then again, the amount of money I've saved buying PS4 games marked down to $0-$30 when they were still going for $50-$60 on PC has more than paid for what the console cost me, so I guess I won't rule out buying a PS5 entirely -- but if I do, I'll probably do what I did with the PS4 and wait until I can get one cheap. (OTOH this also probably increases the odds I'd buy an Xbox instead, as they seem to be the superior device in every way except exclusives. Eliminate exclusives from the equation and I'm not sure why I'd go PS5 over Xbox Series Whatever.)

At any rate I feel more and more like my likeliest choice for my next "console" is a Steam Deck. It's a portable, Arch-based Linux PC with AMD hardware! What more could I ask for, really?

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:59 pm

GOG has a sale on. Sanitarium is free today.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:50 pm

This is so accurate that I had to remind myself it was satire more than once.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:03 pm

DEDICATED MEOW BUTTON

I am IMMEDIATELY reminded of Railroad Tycoon having a dedicated whistle button, because fucking right they did.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:01 pm

Speaking of TMNT, the Ars Technica review of Shredder's Revenge says it "might be the best 2D beat-'em-up video game ever made."

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:09 pm

The 25 best games we saw during this year’s “Not E3” showcases

Always nice to see a preview of upcoming games made up exclusively of games I've never heard of.

Agent 64, an homage to Goldeneye, looks neat. Demonschool could be interesting. (I never did finish Devil Survivor Overclocked.)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:24 pm

Elden Ring is getting more patches that fix broken questlines and add NPC events. On one hand, I'm certainly happy that they aren't making these season pass DLC updates, but this just shouldn't be happening, right? I don't know if they had serious crunch, I know the date for release moved around a bunch. But maybe release the game finished?

I'm specifically miffed because I like souls game characters, and also the questlines are always insane. It's not just a matter of going back into the game and going to the area where they added stuff. It's a matter of making new characters and doing very specific events in specific areas in a specific order for certain things to trigger. I've already played through nearly a dozen times trying to get all of those stories and events, because I just kind of assumed they would all be there.

So yeah, I don't know where I'm going with this. Preordering has been a scam for forever. Re-releases, discounted DLC packs, shitty launch condition. I wish I could buy and enjoy a game on release and never feel regret. This is why I steal 90% of what I play. And being cheap, that's the other reason.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:41 pm

I'm always waiting until a given game is on, like, 90%-off sale with no DRM, so I end up waiting years... which is one way of obviating the "game shipped incomplete" problem, I guess.

Obviously this is not a method which works for everyone.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:38 pm

Mongrel wrote:I'm always waiting until a given game is on, like, 90%-off sale with no DRM, so I end up waiting years... which is one way of obviating the "game shipped incomplete" problem, I guess.

Obviously this is not a method which works for everyone.

Yeah, that's mostly how I've been doing it for the past decade or so. There are exceptions -- I've got my preorder in for the Limited Run physical release of the new TMNT game -- but mostly I'm playing games years after release.

I can understand why that's not for everybody; it frequently means me posting in a years-old thread about some game everybody else already played. But it works for me.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:43 pm

I mean, yes. Those are the points I guess I'm making. Nevermind buying at launch, I generally don't even buy a game on sale without having played through it once for free. The exceptions are for games with some kind of persistent or open multiplayer aspect, where I always have the most fun before a meta can take shape. I had also considered certain studios to be worth believing in. But really FROM was the last one I can think of that I would.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:23 pm

KotOR 2 for the Switch continues the grand KotOR 2 tradition of being released in an unfinished state.

Related: A brief history of (unintentionally) unbeatable games

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:06 pm

Cult of the Lamb sounds like "What if ActRaiser but instead of God you're on the other team" and oh man I may have to check that out.

Postby Newbie » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:49 pm

Sounds like Into The Breach is going to get a free update to add a bit more content (more pilots, weapons, another squad of mechs, an additional harder difficulty setting). They're also putting the game out on mobile devices through Netflix's game service for Netflix subscribers.
tiny text

Postby Newbie » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:19 pm

Neon White annihilates.
tiny text

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:40 am

hahahahahahahaha

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:59 am

"Huh, Fall Guys seems to be back again, lot of youtubers playing it."
"Oh... these are all ads."
"Oh... they made the game a f2p rerelease and you lose all your costumes and progress from the original."
"Oh... it's an EPIC store exclusive now."