Game musings and news

Thad

Re: Game musings and news

Postby Thad » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:17 pm

Mongrel wrote:Always gives me a cynical laugh when I remember RMT's how Steve Bannon made his money too.

Well, some of it. While his Seinfeld royalties have most likely been exaggerated, they still probably come out to more than $1M.

And while he was never a real Hollywood bigwig, he was big enough that he was representing Westinghouse in their negotiations with Ted Turner, so I expect he'd have had decent money even back then.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:41 pm

How have I never seen this?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:12 pm

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:17 pm

I feel like you can easily game that system by jacking off.

I'm also not sure that's actually cheating.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:37 pm

Party Wizard

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:23 pm

Mongrel wrote:It's an open secret that a lot of the worst staff at shitter MMOs do run RMT operations. You don't even need to give yourself free stuff, just having insider knowledge about buffs and nerfs is enough to let you make a killing.

Always gives me a cynical laugh when I remember RMT's how Steve Bannon made his money too.

What's really tragic when you realize you feel like giving money to the game company itself is less ethical than buying currency from RMTers.

I often think about that Tim Rogers quote about how he always found it peculiar how MMO players raged so furiously and genuinely at RMT farmers who are just doing a job, rather than the company that made a game so wildly disrespectful of their time that players consider it a worthwhile deal to pay money to third parties to get the currency they need to buy the gear they need to actually play it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:45 pm

pacobird wrote:I often think about that Tim Rogers quote about how he always found it peculiar how MMO players raged so furiously and genuinely at RMT farmers who are just doing a job, rather than the company that made a game so wildly disrespectful of their time that players consider it a worthwhile deal to pay money to third parties to get the currency they need to buy the gear they need to actually play it.

Exactly.

While some RMT operations are exploitative bot farms and may or may not be involved with crime, those always kind of stand out.

I won't say I enjoyed the feeling that I needed to RMT, but I always felt a hell of a lot better about paying some random Russian guy's rent, or a Turkish kid's night on the town than I did parting with even a cent for fucking Grinding Gear Games.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:57 pm

Brentai wrote:I feel like you can easily game that system by jacking off.

Maybe before jacking in. The brain interface is some kind of meditation training biofeedback device, so I assume your spellpower increases if your mind is quiet.

Honestly bullshit like this getting mainstream gives me some hope for the future. I wonder if sufficiently high fidelity VR could give a generation access to transformative experiences like the Overview Effect reported by astronauts.

We could probably use a billion zen masters about now, even if they are a mass produced cyberpunk haxx version. Gotta be better than a billion q-cultists.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:43 pm

Mongrel wrote:
pacobird wrote:I often think about that Tim Rogers quote about how he always found it peculiar how MMO players raged so furiously and genuinely at RMT farmers who are just doing a job, rather than the company that made a game so wildly disrespectful of their time that players consider it a worthwhile deal to pay money to third parties to get the currency they need to buy the gear they need to actually play it.

Exactly.

While some RMT operations are exploitative bot farms and may or may not be involved with crime, those always kind of stand out.

I won't say I enjoyed the feeling that I needed to RMT, but I always felt a hell of a lot better about paying some random Russian guy's rent, or a Turkish kid's night on the town than I did parting with even a cent for fucking Grinding Gear Games.

The only time I feel the slightest hint of regret over playing FFXI on and off for 18 years is when I see others who've been around as long as I have, at or approaching the wrong side of 40, still insisting that people RMTing an effective labor cost of just under a dollar an hour are cheaters who don't care about the game. Like, these are the kind of dead-end humps I'm allowing myself to be associated with! Not a great feeling!

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:16 pm

mharr wrote:Honestly bullshit like this getting mainstream gives me some hope for the future. I wonder if sufficiently high fidelity VR could give a generation access to transformative experiences like the Overview Effect reported by astronauts.

Slap together a Cardboard and load up Google Earth VR. As a bonus, you can go down to Akihabara and find out that it's actually kind of a shithole without actually blowing the money to journey to Otaku Mecca.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:19 pm

Sounds like spiritual enlightenment to me!

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:01 am

You know, Super Warner Bros. Brawl is a really obvious idea in hindsight, but while Batman, Bugs Bunny, Finn and Jake, Steven Universe, Shaggy, and Tom and Jerry are all pretty obvious choices, I gotta admit I didn't see Arya Stark coming.

I mean, you're not supposed to see her coming, she's an assassin who can change her face. But I look forward to her Final Smash where she reveals to Batman that he just ate Robin.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:57 pm

Weird, I don't know why they would include a character that literally is faster than bullets and can jump over buildings and beats everyone in one punch. I mean I know it's a game and there's some suspension of disbelief, but having characters like Finn fight against him is just stupid. Finn is a regular human with a sword, that's it. There's no possible way he could stand up to even 1% of Shaggy.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:14 pm

Waited for the payoff.

Was not disappointed.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:28 am

"Superman-based interactive entertainment products tend to be... let's say... lacking. This is because a truly accurate Superman video game would have one button, and it would be labeled 'Use Powers', and you would press it and win. ... All Superman has to do is fly into the upper atmosphere (up, up, high punch) and then fry Sub-Zero with his heat vision from 50 miles away (down, back, down, back, low kick, give opponent the finger)."

I'll be honest the only thing that looks at all appealing about that is the "That's All Folks!" starburst when someone gets KOed.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:24 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:24 pm

Thad wrote:Image

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:39 pm

Nickelodeon's got one too, in case you want to see Leonardo stab Helga from Hey Arnold.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:44 pm

Friday wrote:Weird, I don't know why they would include a character that literally is faster than bullets and can jump over buildings and beats everyone in one punch. I mean I know it's a game and there's some suspension of disbelief, but having characters like Finn fight against him is just stupid. Finn is a regular human with a sword, that's it. There's no possible way he could stand up to even 1% of Shaggy.

Superman is exactly the character to limit themselves so everyone else can have fun.

edit: oh no I was reading up from nsw and fell in the trap. Pretend I responded to him.

nosimpleway wrote:"Superman-based interactive entertainment products tend to be... let's say... lacking. This is because a truly accurate Superman video game would have one button, and it would be labeled 'Use Powers', and you would press it and win. ... All Superman has to do is fly into the upper atmosphere (up, up, high punch) and then fry Sub-Zero with his heat vision from 50 miles away (down, back, down, back, low kick, give opponent the finger)."

I'll be honest the only thing that looks at all appealing about that is the "That's All Folks!" starburst when someone gets KOed.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:52 pm

I haven't watched a Scoobert-Doobert in a long time but I'm pretty sure they had to go meme with Shaggy, he's not really the type to throw hands

or sandwiches, but that's in the trailer too, idk