Re: Game musings and news

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:02 pm

They made a new Soni-

WHAT THE FUCK DID I SAY?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:12 pm

Is that supposed to read as "WHAT THE FUCK DID I SAY?", "WHAT THE FUCK DID I SAY?", or "WHAT THE FUCK DID I SAY?" ?

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:23 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:54 pm

Ars says TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection is mostly good but whiffs reproduction of the Genesis sound chip, the online mode is limited compared to offline, and the timing of the release is unfortunate given that someone just released a TMNT brawler that's both better and cheaper.

I still think I'll buy two copies. That's my nephew's Christmas present covered.

(My nephew just loves their cereal!)

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:50 pm

Looks like they weren't willing to pony up the dough for the original recording of the theme song and replaced it with a cover version.

Shockingly, "Pizza Power", from the hit album "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Coming Out of Their Shells", appears to have been more economical to license.

And speaking of rights considerations: I remember awhile back we were speculating about the rights situation with the characters who only appeared in the Archie comics (created by Ryan Brown and Steve Murphy). Given the inclusion of Tournament Fighters, it appears that they're good on rerelasing previous games that feature those characters, even if they're not interested in using them in new ones.

(And actually I just looked it up and Armaggon was on the 2012 cartoon series, so it would appear that there's nothing stopping them from using those characters in new media, it looks like they've just chosen not to for the most part.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:11 am

Got it today. The presentation is really impressive, and they really went above and beyond with the modifications to the original games (most notably, they added an option where you can play as the boss characters to all three versions of Tournament Fighters, and a mode where the icons on the map in TMNT3 for Game Boy are more specific instead of just being a dot to represent a point of interest).

The menu options are a little counterintuitive, in that some of them are on the menu you can pull up in-game and others are on a separate menu you can only pull up before launch. That seems like the kind of thing that could be smoothed over with a patch maybe. (I did get a download prompt when I first launched the game; I'm not sure what's been added since the card was pressed.)

On the whole it's typically great work by Digital Eclipse. There's room for improvement here and there (I'd have liked to see them fix the water level and that fucking jump in the next area -- y'all know what I'm talking about), but FFS this is 13 games from 5 different hardware architectures not just dumped but reproduced with real attention to detail and improved with loving care, plus a staggering number of extras and more additional material from the franchise than anyone could reasonably expect from a massive licensed property. It may not be perfect, but it's shockingly close.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:41 pm

Nintendo announces a boatload of classic game ports, Japanese RPGs for Switch

They finally smoothed out the Goldeneye rights situation (it's coming to Switch's N64 emulator and Rare's collection for Xbox).

SE remakes and ports continue apace, including Front Mission and Crisis Core.

There's also something out today called Various Daylife; it's up on Switch and Steam and doesn't appear to include Denuvo so that's nice. It looks kind of like Bravely Default crossed with a job sim? Could be interesting; I'll see what people say about it.

Oh and Nintendo announced a title (Tears of the Kingdom) and release date (May 12, 2023) for the BotW sequel.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:10 pm

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:32 pm

I unironically was most excited for the Fist of the North Star Fitness Boxing announcement.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:23 pm

Okay I have questions.

First of all, Like a Dragon 8? That's some Rambo 3 shit, Sega.

...or, okay, Final Fantasy 7 shit. I guess I got used to it then. And switching to the Japanese names for Peach and Eggman, too. Really the problem isn't with this game's western title so much as the previous one's.

(I guess one of these days I oughta try the other games in the series. I've got Kiwami, which I guess is the remake of the first one?)

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:41 pm

Oh shit, Tactics Ogre is getting a PC port, too. Looks to be based on the PSP version (that's good!); has a smeary graphical filter slapped on it (that's bad!).

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:56 pm

Konami's "What can we do to mine our back catalog?" business has finally gotten around to Suikoden.

Suikoden 1 and 2: Konami's Cult Classic RPGs are Being Remastered

Character sprites look the same. Looks like some redone backgrounds, spell effects, and portraits. At a glance I think they've taken the original localization but cleaned it up a bit ("Star Dragon Sword" is now "Celestial Sword") rather than retranslate from scratch.

Kat Bailey interviewed developers Yasuo Daikai and Takahiro Sakiyama about the remaster, and they mentioned that while there aren't any plans to make any new games in the series they'd like to do it.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:11 pm

I wonder if Kirkis still reads stage directions when he sees his home on fire.

Or if postgame enemies in II are still translated as gibberish.

There's a lot of script cleanup that COULD be done!!!!!!!!!!!!

JD

Postby JD » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:52 pm

They'll finally have a chance to fix the numerous bugs in Suikoden 2.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:26 pm

JD wrote:They'll finally have a chance to fix the numerous bugs in Suikoden 2.

Or they could do like the PSP version and just add more.

(Speaking of PSP: I went to check romhacking.net to see if Suikoden 1&2 ever got a translation patch. It still hasn't, but apparently Suikoden: Woven Web of the Centuries got one last year. Throw it on the "to play" pile, I guess.)

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:21 pm

Stadia gets the axe. But hey, three years is pretty good longevity for a Google product these days.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:42 pm

It's nice that they're refunding people's money, at least. (Not everything -- not subscription fees or stuff bought from non-Google sources -- but still, more than I expected.)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:54 pm

Huh, I'd forgotten that even existed.

I guess if the pandemic-era audience wasn't going to make it work, nothing would have.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:49 pm

Google Stadia gets the axe, shocking gamers who had assumed that had already happened

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:18 pm

Stadia will always have given us this exchange