Commute Gaming

KingRoyal

Commute Gaming

Postby KingRoyal » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Was just informed that next week my commute will be shifting from a pleasant 15-minute walk each way to a much worse 50-minute train ride. As a result, I'll need things to occupy my time while on the train. So figured I'd bite the bullet and finally get a Switch.

So, is it worth it to just go with the regular ol' Switch? I know it can be docked to a TV, which I am down for. Or is the lite version better over all? And is the Switch my only gaming option besides my phone these days?

I've also been interested in those portable emulation machines, but they don't seem to have caught the world on fire or anything. Really, any kind of portable gaming option that is not my phone would be appreciated.

Any game recommendations would also be appreciated.
signature

Thad

Re: Commute Gaming

Postby Thad » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:59 pm

I'm fascinated by the cottage industry of MIPS handhelds in the sub-$100 range, but I've never actually tried one. I hear good things about the RG-350 but its D-pad placement looks uncomfortable. I just saw a favorable review of the Odroid-Go Advance but it only has one stick. There are a hell of a lot of them, all of them have some baffling design decision or other that leads me to look askance at them, but there are plenty of options that might be Good Enough for your purposes.

JD

Postby JD » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:18 pm

I'd go with the full Switch. The new Switch has a better battery life than the Lite, and you can hook it up to the TV like an actual console. You can get a lot more utility out of it.

The Switch Lite is smaller and cheaper, and will still work for commutes, but the regular Switch will be more useful.

Pokemon Sword/Shield is good, if you like Pokemon games. Likewise they're bringing out a new Animal Crossing.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:24 pm

Switch controllers break constantly and if you're on a Lite that means you're SOL, so keep that in mind.