Friday's Ultimate Vanity Project: 100 Games, 100 Reviews

Mongrel

Re: Friday's Ultimate Vanity Project: 100 Games, 100 Reviews

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:29 pm

Brentai wrote:My experience with playing DOOMII ("doooo meeee") for the first time in 2020 is that I didn't hate Archviles even half as much as I hated Revenants. With two decades of WASD experience under your belt and in an ingrained tendency to wait and counter, Archviles are a cinch. Revenants though, their rocket fireball rockets love to do a completely improbable 180 and hit you in the back if you try to just sidestep them, often forcing you to run like an idiot to the nearest sharp corner of the map to deal with them. My strategy for dealing with them became "Never let them shoot!" which works great in that city level where you spawn in with a pair of them in sniper position over you.

Revenants were (and probably still are) definitely among my most feared enemies in DOOM 2, because yeah, they're glass cannons, but they're still NASTY-ASS glass cannons. And the glass isn't so thin that it's "hit them and they die", you still have to get a couple well-placed shots in.

Archviles are easier to deal with, but there's one level (can't remember which) where they put one in an area full of a bunch of thin brown overlapping walls made up of gratings you can see through, but are too dense to fire through, and that area is TOUGH, man. He can run around raising shit and blowing you up just fine, and you get to watch him do it 2-3 walls away, without direct line of sight to fire on him, so you have to go chasing his skinny run-forrest-run ass down.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:56 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Like the prevalence of 1/256 drops and the item-swapping Monkey Cave, it feels like a relic of a time where design philosophy was very different.

The monkey cave would be tolerable if not for (1) the limited inventory system and (2) being situated in a part of the game where you've just lost 1/3 of your party and the corresponding item storage capacity.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:40 am

The Monkey cave is specifically designed to waste your time and annoy you, which I can respect in a way that I don't respect vs PRV.

I'm not saying the Monkey Cave is good, but at least you know the devs were intentionally trolling you. Valley just feels like an area of the game they forgot to playtest and balance.

But yeah, the game would be better without both.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:17 pm

13. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC)

It's hard to overstate how much I was looking forward to this game. SotN is one of my favorite games ever and I've loved all the Igavanias. I was a little worried about Bloodstained because of how some other Kickstarted games turned out to be kind bleh, but oh man, Bloodstained delivered and delivered hard.

You play as Miriam, a girl who kicks. Catalack stole your best shoes so you chase him into a castle but he is too fast. Along the way you have to kick enemies as you try to catch up to Catalack but fail, he is too fast and some weird kid who looks like the artist just traced over Goku keeps running back and forth over your sprite, slowing you down.

When playing the side game that is not about racing (and losing to) Catalack, Bloodstained plays like all the best ideas from all the Igavanias Iga ever worked on. Bloodstained doesn't mess around with gimmicks but instead just delivers on concepts that have worked in the past. A variety of weapon types, shops, quests, crafting, gaining soullike shards from enemies that unlock new abilities and passive boosts. As is typical with metroidvanias, the castle unfolds slowly as you gain access to new abilities, like double jump, swimming, inverting the whole universe, and ripping holes in space/time in order to go through a wall. Eventually you even catch up to Catalack, who, disguised as a ninja, will race you and if you win give you his super speed.

The graphics and music are both absolutely gorgeous, perfectly capturing that gothic fantasy feel we've all come to love more than life itself. Even Miriam can get her haircut and dyed so she can be a pink blonde who kicks skeletons.

The game now comes with a randomizer mode and playable Zangetsu, so it's the complete package. It's every Igavania fan's dream.

Do I recommend this game:
Yes. I think it's actually a good starter Igavania for anyone who hasn't played a Metroidvania before. It's nice and easy with plenty of overpowered shards to abuse for newbies.

Gameplay: 8. Miriam controls exactly like I want her to with all the shorthop attacking and kicking I could ever desire. The shards are plentiful and allow you to murder your way through monsters by throwing flying pigs at them. Or just spamming chain lightning or ARISE MYSELF AND MY SHADOW, whatever you want.

Experience: 8.5. Absolutely beautiful art and music design. Lulzy voice acting, as required. Robert Belgrade shows up and isn't Alucard. But is also Alucard. David Hayter shows up and isn't Snake. But is also Snake.
ImageImageImage