Friday's Ultimate Vanity Project: 100 Games, 100 Reviews

Thad

Re: Friday's Ultimate Vanity Project: 100 Games, 100 Reviews

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:48 pm

Friday wrote:Specifically I'm recommending the original japanese release, so the fan translation for SNES. It's pretty shitty that you still can't get ahold of it legally, I just assumed you could by now.

Well, not new legally, but of course you can buy the GBA or PSP versions used.

For the record, I have never played this "augment" version which you can buy on Steam. I cannot comment on the gameplay there, but if all they did was crank up the difficulty I'm going to do a Friday rarity and say that's probably a bad move, FF4 was already hard enough.

No, it's a lot more complicated than that; it's a ground-up remake with some significant changes to the systems. The Augment system is kind of an alternative to the GBA version letting you choose your endgame party -- your endgame party is fixed Cecil/Rosa/Kain/Edge/Rydia as in the original, but you can "augment" them by teaching them other characters' abilities (it's sort of loosely similar to adding another class's ability as a secondary skill in FF5, but a lot more complicated and, as R^2 noted, not at all documented in-game beyond "try this out and see what happens"). So, like, depending on how you play, you can teach Edward's Hide or Yang's Counterattack to other characters. Or gain useful passive skills like dealing full damage from the back row (obviously you give that one to Edge). It's designed to be built up across multiple playthroughs, using New Game+.

FF4DS is, like R^2 said, pretty clearly designed to challenge the expectations of people who know the game backward and forward. I don't really know what it would be like for someone going in cold who's never played the original version of the game. But you should check it out sometime; I think you'd dig it. (Unfortunately you just missed a Humble sale, but it's only $16 full price.)

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:14 pm

FF4 Remake is fake difficulty. It's like if the entire game was the Magnetic Cavern.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:27 am

16. Dragon Quest 8 (PS2)

Ah, yet another fallen brethren from the previous top 10 list I made.

I've already talked about this game a ton, and we're knee deep in RPGs at the moment (with more to come) so I'll keep it brief.

DQ8 made me feel that magical kid-like sense of adventure and exploration again. That's a really, really big deal.

The world is lush and expansive, the characters are mostly boring except Yangus and Red who are excellent, the graphics are PS2 but fine, the sound is good to great. It's a super slow game, paced glacially, and combined with DQ's typical gameplay that means it's REALLY slow. But like I have said previously, playing this game is like sitting down to sip tea and look out the window at a gorgeous view. There's not really a lot going on, but it feels nice.

Do I recommend this game:
Again, same problem as DQ3. It's a Dragon Quest game so it's hard to recommend. This one is more modern, but also slower paced so it sort of evens out.

Gameplay: 6.5. The tension system kind of sucks and detracts from the normal DQ tactical experience. Otherwise it's the same as DQ3, and I like having characters with defined roles. Sure, you can spec them to be a little different, but Yangus is always going to be your Soldier, Angelo your Pilgrim, and Jessica your Wizard.

Experience: 9.5. A proper grand adventure. I love this world to death.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:53 pm

Another one where the answer to "Which version should I play?" is less than entirely clear.

I haven't played the 3DS version but by all accounts it modernizes the engine (read: you can see enemies on the map before you fight them) but sacrifices a hell of a lot in graphics and sound to make it run on 3DS.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:36 pm

15. Earthbound (SNES)

What if Dragon Quest but with even more heart and set in modern day and also zany weird shit everywhere?

Welcome to Earthbound. Wel come to Ear thb ou nde arth bou nd.

Our story begins with a bee from the future hitching a ride on a meteor that crashes outside our main character's house. The bee informs you that your dog, King, is the chosen one. King then goes on an adventure to find and defeat Catalack.

I'm kidding, of course. You cannot defeat Catalack.

During your adventure to stop an evil force from the future and also the past from destroying the world, you will:

1. Get the boss of the first Sanctuary location spoiled for you, even if you did ant want it to be,
2. Beat up a bunch of cops who behave totally unrealistically by trying to assault an innocent young man, must be Giygas' influence,
3. a mushroom grows out of your head and then a tree explodes on you and you die
4. A man twists his ankle jumping off a roof and, in a blind rage, tries to kill you
5. Destroy a cultist leader who makes everyone worship blue with his own lightning
6. The blues brothers are in trouble! Bail them out with crime money
7. a super hot lady turns out to be "working with the zombies"
8. a nerd rides a dinosaur and beats up cavemen
9. zombie paper defeats the zombies, you know, like flypaper
10. shoot a bottle rocket at a giant pile of puke
11. holy shit the music for the dusty dunes desert is so good, that intro
12. well, you'll go to heaven!
13. uh some other stuff, i think a spirit rips off your arms, legs, eyes, and ears
14. wtf the puke is back
15. dungeon man
16. go inside him
17. oh my god this music
18. there are... actual tips for dungeon creation in here
19. oh he's stuck in some palm trees
20. thus ends the best part of the entire game
21. more dinosaurs
22. oh shit Magicant the best part of the entire game is back
23. we need to stop Giygas but we have to be robots
24. is that a baby?
25. oh only third strongest baby
26. oh my god what is happeninnnnnnnnnngggggggg
27. hey i can ride my bike around again

If these sound like Friday exaggeration shitposting trust me when I say I am not

Earthbound is just that good

Earthbound is as wholesome as it is zany, as adventuresome as it is homey. Which is to say, this game makes you feel both like you're home with mom eating pizza and watching cartoons, and also like you're on a marvelous, magical journey at the same time. There's nothing quite like it. Even the other games in the series.

If FF4 is the gold standard model student in the SNES RPG class, then Earthbound is the creative brilliant weirdo. (And FF6 is the Theatre Kid, CT is the kind-hearted jock, Super Mario RPG is the class clown, Lufia 2 is the nerd with good hair, and Shadowrun is the Goth kid. And 7th Saga is the psychopathic bully.) Where FF4 plays it straight, Earthbound veers frequently offroad to plot culs-de-sac that don't really advance anything but are delightfully absurd and charming.

And yes, I looked up if it was culs-de-sac or cul-de-sacs.

God, how would I even begin to explain Earthbound to someone who knew about RPGs but had never heard of it? "It's like Dragon Quest, but funny, but set in modern day, but weird, but full of heart" is probably a good start. "Unique" might be another word I'd use, because it is. "Childish, but in a good way" is another description.

In the end, Earthbound is just one of those things that has to be experienced to be understood. Like the Matrix. You can feel Earthbound when you pay your taxes and help your landlady take our her garbage, but until you've had to sit behind a waterfall not moving for 3 minutes, can you say you've truly experienced all that Earthbound has to offer?

Yeah. No qualifications except I guess avoid if you just abso-fucking-lutely hate JRPGs, no exceptions, but even then I know people who say that and then mention that they except this game.

Gameplay: 7.5. It's a DQ clone but with some interesting additions, such as the rolling HP bars. Also, all encounters are visible (if not particularly able to be avoided most of the time) and you can just instantly win if you're strong enough and also the game takes ambushes into account, so sometimes getting a green swirl means an instant win where a purple doesn't. Amazing. Why isn't this standard in... every... jrpg? Ever? Closest thing I've seen to it is "Let go" from the Suikoden series, which doesn't give exp/gold but at least lets you just bow out of battles far below your level.

Experience: 9.5. Does not have an Opera scene. Otherwise on par. You can get Venus to sign your banana. Unlike anything else you've ever played.

ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:55 pm

anyway now Niku can tell you about how the sequel will completely destroy you emotionally
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:10 pm

I like how many games on this list I've LPed. I guess my next project is to LP the rest of the list.

Except the Dragon Quest ones, not gonna step on anybody's toes

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:20 pm

I mean one of these games is on this list BECAUSE of your LPs so yeah
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:50 pm

I'm playing through Earthbound right now, for the first time. It's pretty neat.

I expect I'll play Mother 3 someday. Probably on my MiSTer, the way things are going; I've got a couple of GBAs and a flash cart, but I'm still playing everything with just my left hand.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Proving how stupid numbering is for rating things, I just now realized I rated DQ8 at 6.5/9.5 and EB at 7.5/9.5, and stand by those ratings, inasmuch as they're equally good experiences but overall EB's gameplay is better due to no tension system mucking up the combat and instant wins.

DQ was previously in my top 10 over Earthbound and now I consider them equal.

So I guess the X factor is Yangus. Earthbound doesn't have Yangus.

WHATEVER NUMBERS ARE DUMB
ImageImageImage

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:48 pm

Earthbound has, to date, the most accurate representation of cops I've yet seen.
signature

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:28 pm

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:24 pm

I like everything about Earthbound except actually playing it. Every time I think of replaying it I remember Peaceful Rest Valley and the desert and click on a different rom.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Friday wrote:So I guess the X factor is Yangus. Earthbound doesn't have Yangus.

"Cor! This's the first Yer Sanctuary location. But it's a bit moody, innit? S'pose you want it back yerself, eh?"

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:51 am

MarsDragon wrote:I like everything about Earthbound except actually playing it. Every time I think of replaying it I remember Peaceful Rest Valley and the desert and click on a different rom.

I got my run of Earthbound from R^2's LP.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:12 am

Peaceful Rest Valley is def the low point of the game. It feels like it's a dungeon designed for you to have Paula on your team already, not balanced for Ness alone. And even then the exploding trees are absolutely killer.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:30 am

14. Doom 2 (PC)

When I originally compiled my top 10 list, this was the game I considered putting in over Contra. Both games are the purest possible expression of the shooter in my mind. Both are Dead Simple and elegant. Both don't saddle you with cutscenes or plot or fetch quests. You hit start, and you get to killing demons.

Ultimately, Contra won out because I felt that while even simpler than Doom, it had less chaingunners.

Doom 2 is more than just a game, it's an engine. Some of the WADs that have been made for it are actually better (far, far better, even) than the original game. I'll spare you their names since I doubt most people here are hardcore Doom WAD players, but if you're ever in the market for some really good (and hard) shit, head on over to Doomworld. I won't be rating Doom 2 on player created WADs. But I felt it would be very remiss of me not to mention them, because they're a big part of what makes Doom 2 so great.

So, those of you have been reading this list may remember me telling you that I actually prefer Doom 64's level design and weapon balance. So what gives? Why is Doom 2 so much higher on this list? Could it be that it's increased menagerie of enemies makes that much of a difference?

The answer is yes. Yes it does.

Doom 64 only saw a few cuts. But those cuts were deep. They cut the two best enemies out of the game, one of which is probably the best designed enemy in any game ever. They also cut the chaingunner, but eh. That I can live with.

So, let's talk about those two enemies and why they make the difference. The answer is "because they're really fucking well designed". And it turns out that what makes Doom so special is how it's various enemy designs all combine and compliment each other to create really interesting, challenging, and fun encounters. So cutting what are probably the two best enemies out of your sequel really hurts the game overall.

First up, we have everyone's favorite Spooky Boi Skeleton, the Revenant. Ok, so they shoot missiles at you. Sometimes they're just a regular projectile, and sometimes they're a homing missile. Oh and they'll play punch out with you if you get too close.

That's it?

Yep. Good doesn't mean complicated.

What makes the Revenant so amazing is how they're actually not that tough. They can be dispatched in 2 rockets or 2 super shotgun blasts. But they're a HUGE threat because of their high damage potential (they have a huge spread of damage, something like 20-80) and the fact that their missiles can't simply be sidestepped, like most other enemies. They're also not hitscan, so they're not exactly as priority a target as a chaingunner or shotgunner, but you should never turn your back on them. Kiting their homing missiles around and into pillars and walls creates really interesting and frenetic gameplay as you dodge, weave, and duck around corners while dealing with other enemies in the room.

All in all, Revs are an outstanding mid-range threat. Sadly a lot of the Doom 2 expaks and WADs overuse them, which is bad because, well, overuse of any one enemy no matter how good they are makes you get sick of them. But when used in proper moderation, Revs are an integral part of the Doom 2 experience.

And now to talk about the big boi.

The Archvile is a fucking miracle of an enemy. Instantly hateable and loathed, they make Doom 2 newbies and veterans alike cry bitter tears. So lets jump in to their amazingly evil design, shall we?

Archviles are tanky. They are about as tanky as a Baron, so expect 5-6 rocket hits to kill them. Notice I said hits, because chances are you'll use more rockets, because...

Archviles are fast. They move decidedly faster than almost every enemy in the game that isn't a charging lost soul. And because they're so fast and erratic, it makes shooting them difficult, especially with projectiles like rockets.

So the best way to shoot them, it turns out, is to actually just wait till they attack you, because that forces them to stand still. And their attack is to light you on fire and then explode you. A flame will start building up under you, and if you don't break line of sight, it will launch you upwards and blow down about 80 of your health.

Oh, and you don't want to let them run around waiting for them to attack too much. Cause they have one other ability, you see.

Archviles bring dead demons back to life. At full health.

That's right, Archies are Hell's back row healer demons. Their power is limited, somewhat, in that they cannot resurrect Cyberdemons, Spider Masterminds, Pain Elementals, or each other (thank god). But that still means they can bring back full HP Mancubi, Barons, etc. They're an absolute bane to leave alive, more so than any other enemy except maybe a chaingunner.

Their wake up sound and appearance are both incredibly unique, which instantly lets the player know that this demon is something else, something special. And yeah, cutting this guy from Doom 64 hurt the game that much. The Archvile is an absolute terror of an enemy, but also perfectly fair. If you get hit by one or let one raise a ton of demons from the dead, that's on you. They're not cheap, just absolutely horrifying.

The rest of the game is great. Not perfect, it has chaingunners and some bad levels. Uhg, the city levels. But yeah, it's Doom. As far as I'm concerned, it's the absolute pinnacle of the formula. The WADs you can download and play are just (a very thick and delicious) icing on the cake.

I do. It has a difficulty slider so if you're bad at shooting/action you can just lower the game down to your level. Avoid if shooters are not your thing.

Gameplay: 9.5. Demon slaughter at it's finest.

Experience: 6. The soundtrack is varied in quality, and the levels are sort of bland looking in that 90s way. But it's not terrible or anything, and it certainly looks better than what came immediately after it in the era of Quake's browns only design.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:37 am

For the record, I have played some WADs that I would rate as highly as like 9.5/8.5. The amount of work some members of the community do to create absolutely gorgeous maps with really great fights is just insane.
ImageImageImage

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:46 am

My experience with playing DOOMII ("doooo meeee") for the first time in 2020 is that I didn't hate Archviles even half as much as I hated Revenants. With two decades of WASD experience under your belt and in an ingrained tendency to wait and counter, Archviles are a cinch. Revenants though, their rocket fireball rockets love to do a completely improbable 180 and hit you in the back if you try to just sidestep them, often forcing you to run like an idiot to the nearest sharp corner of the map to deal with them. My strategy for dealing with them became "Never let them shoot!" which works great in that city level where you spawn in with a pair of them in sniper position over you.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:11 pm

Mongrel wrote:I got my run of Earthbound from R^2's LP.

Friday wrote:Peaceful Rest Valley is def the low point of the game. It feels like it's a dungeon designed for you to have Paula on your team already, not balanced for Ness alone. And even then the exploding trees are absolutely killer.

It's an old LP and it's on the old forums so it's broken and will be forever thus, but if I remember correctly I was surprised to get through Peaceful Rest Valley on the first try while documenting the game.

Like the prevalence of 1/256 drops and the item-swapping Monkey Cave, it feels like a relic of a time where design philosophy was very different.

But for my money the real drag is after you get Paula back in Fourside up to Poo's training. IIRC that part took a couple weeks to post because it's kind of a drag where nothing particularly interesting happens.