TurboGrafx-16

Thad

TurboGrafx-16

Postby Thad » Mon May 25, 2020 7:50 pm

I'm still poking through the TG-16 catalog on my MiSTer, and between that and the TG-16 Mini now shipping in the States, I figured what the hell, we could use us a TG-16 thread instead of me just dumping random thoughts in the Whatcha Playin'? thread.

I am not up on my YouTube personalities so I am not familiar with these guys, but they seem to have some good recommendations.

Blazing Lazers is pretty cool.

I tried Ninja Gaiden and

what why why would you do this

Friday

Re: TurboGrafx-16

Postby Friday » Tue May 26, 2020 5:19 pm

Wow, I watched the Ninja Gaiden vid the whole way through.

What a fever dream of weirdness.

I'm very, very familiar with the original Ninja Gaiden so all the differences really stood out to me. They toned down all player taken damage to 1, making the birds and the final bosses far less lethal (and Malth a joke, it's a dps race and his original damage was 3, so now you can fuck around for like 5 minutes and still win the race) and they let you keep your subweapon from level to level. Drops don't fade out after a timer, and the spin slash glitch vs bosses (instant lethal) was fixed.

That's it for mechanical. The other changes were a mixed bag.

Those parallax scrolling backgrounds? Vomit inducing. There's a section in the mines where you run across a suspended bridge and the jesus christ. But overall the graphics were better, I think, especially the backgrounds for the boss arenas.

The music sucked.

"Devildoer" replacing Jaquio is hilarious.
ImageImageImage

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue May 26, 2020 5:26 pm

on my ever-growing list of games I have these two for the TG-16

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:44 pm

Finding Rondo surprisingly playable with a joystick. I think the stiffness of Richter's movement has a lot to do with it; I bet other 8- and 16-bit Castlevanias would work pretty well too, but maybe not the later entries with nimbler protagonists. (Ninja Gaiden wasn't much fun, and it's pretty much Castlevania with a nimble protagonist.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:01 pm

Apparently the TurboGrafx hardware is similar enough to the NES that people have ported a number of games over.

Here's the original Mega Man ported to TurboCD.

I haven't watched the entire video, but from what I've seen it looks perfectly solid and playable -- it definitely could be worse.

It could be Castlevania.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:34 pm

oh god why did i click that second video aaaaaaaaaaa
ImageImageImage