Friday does what Nintendon't

nosimpleway

Re: Friday does what Nintendon't

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:12 pm

I took southern-style praying mantis kung fu for a while and even after all that I gotta say that looks like a really uncomfortable fighting pose.

Maximillian

Postby Maximillian » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:12 pm

That was a fun stream and I enjoyed the crowd banter. Thanks for sharing, Friday.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:57 am

Any stream with fbm/Mars/Brentai providing commentary is going to chock full of useless but interesting videogame trivia and expressions of disbelief about how the fuck ninjas keep showing up followed by Mars saying "They're NINJAS"

Anyway next up is Alien Soldier
ImageImageImage

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:13 am

Oh well Alien Soldier doesn't have any obscure trivia associated with it at all

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:43 am

Alien Soldier has graphical effects that the genesis literally should not be able to do. Like, what the fuck?!
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:57 pm

Dual-wielding shields is also surprisingly an option, and not always as useless as you might think.

Oh thanks for this tip by the way, it helped a lot with Hahn not being dead all the time this morning when I tackled Zio's fort, especially because I have no way to res yet so each time someone died I had to bail out of the dungeon entirely.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:57 pm

Alien Soldier was great!

Very Gunstar Heroes, but even more bosses. The whole game is basically bosses.

Difficulty ramps up nicely, I quit at Sevenforce because I was starting to have less fun due to fatigue. But I'll be sure to finish it.

Highlights include the most batshit insane story/intro I have ever seen, and Katestory-like events when the Earth just randomly explodes.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:27 am

Played Sonic 3 and Knuckles earlier. Of all the games I've played for Genesis so far, this was the one I enjoyed the least.

I think it's because when it comes to platformers, I prefer precision. Sonic is slippery as fuck and slow to respond to inputs. In addition, mistakes usually lead to dumping you down or back and making you redo stuff. And there's a ton of shit that just pops up out of nowhere to hit you or bounce you.

Now, this is offset by the ring system, which allows you to take damage and then just grab more rings, making death semi-difficult to actually happen. But this almost feels like a crutch the devs use as an excuse for bad design. There was also a bunch of weird mechanics that are not explained to the player properly. Luckily I had Kishi and Brentai telling me what to do in those cases, but without them (or maybe reading the manual?) I would have easily gotten stuck.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible or anything. Whenever I was going fast I was having fun. But every time the game stopped me and said "make these precise series of jumps without fucking up or we will dump you back to the start of the jumps" I started to get frustrated, and that was probably 75% of the experience for me. The game also uses a limited continue/lives system, and makes you earn your continues by doing unfun pretend 3D sections. I got to Ice Cap Zone and ran out of lives and continues on one of the bosses (which were fine) and was booted back to title. Meh.

If Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the absolute best the Sonic series has to offer me, I don't know. I guess I'm just not a fan. Sorry friends. I won't be revisiting this one.
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:18 am

We may have not mentioned & Knuckles is best because you can play as & Knuckles and climb around all the obstacles.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:33 am

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:12 am

Yeah, I feel Knuckles play style and speed works a lot better with Sonic level design. It encourages a more exploratory focus since you can climb and glide pretty much anywhere you want.

The 3D worlds are my favorite Sonic minigame. They’re jank as heck but scratch a sort of high-energy puzzle itch.

Pretty sure I said as much when Sonic Mania came out, but that was pretty much the absolute ideal version of a Genesis Sonic game and it still wasn’t really all that fun to play. Pretty much all of my enjoyment for the actual play of Sonic games is rooted in the nostalgia of playing them as a child rather than their own merits.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:27 am

Friday wrote:Now, this is offset by the ring system, which allows you to take damage and then just grab more rings, making death semi-difficult to actually happen. But this almost feels like a crutch the devs use as an excuse for bad design. There was also a bunch of weird mechanics that are not explained to the player properly. Luckily I had Kishi and Brentai telling me what to do in those cases, but without them (or maybe reading the manual?) I would have easily gotten stuck.

If you'd had the manual, you would have known about Robotnik's traps.

("Robotnik's traps" was how the manual explained that they released an unfinished game where you could get stuck in the fucking walls.)

(But that shit's actually fixed in + Knuckles.)

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:57 am

Hahahaha nope Friday totally got In Theoried and we teased her mercilessly about the speed traps.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:57 pm

S3&K should have save slots that keep your progress between zones, so lack of continues isn't really an issue.

I understand this does nothing for the rest of the game's issues, and "well if you want to keep playing this game you dislike you can" isn't really all that much in its favor

...why am I posting this, then

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:12 pm

nosimpleway wrote:S3&K should have save slots that keep your progress between zones, so lack of continues isn't really an issue.

She'd still have to restart at the beginning of Ice Cap, though, and I'd argue that Ice Cap is where shit really goes off the rails. If you wanted to make a case for Marble Garden or Carnival Night I think those would be acceptable answers too, but those have some pretty solid stage design marred by physics issues, obtuse undocumented control schemes, and Robotnik's Traps, whereas Ice Cap is kind of a poorly-laid-out, unfinished mess that we mostly remember being a lot more fun than it actually is because it's got a cool opening cutscene and great fucking music.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:17 pm

I mean, that's kind of all I ever want from a Sonic game.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:16 pm

I understand this does nothing for the rest of the game's issues, and "well if you want to keep playing this game you dislike you can" isn't really all that much in its favor

Oh, hmm. I forgot about the save slots, thanks. Maybe I will try it again since I don't have to redo the first four stages.

Also, I want to be clear: I didn't really "dislike" the game, despite my post complaining about it. It was a 5 out of 10. It felt like a game held back by its flaws, but the core experience was really fun. Going fast rules, and the bosses were a good difficulty. Well, except that one that Tails just decided to fucking wreck in 2 seconds all on his own.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:29 pm

"Play as Knuckles" is still pretty sound advice, though the advantage of playing through as Sonic/Tails first is that you get more of a feel for what's different about playing as Knuckles. There are entirely different paths through the stages (the branching paths are handled by Knuckles not being able to jump as high as Sonic or Tails but being able to break through certain walls they can't), a few different bosses, and a different endgame. Plus, like other posters noted, Knuckles's ability to glide and climb means you can avoid a bunch of the bullshit and spend more time exploring (though you can still go fast if you wanna).

Tails can fly, so he can avoid a bunch of the precise jumps you have to nail as Sonic, but his path through the stages is still mostly the same as Sonic's, and the Marble Garden boss is much harder. On the whole I'd say Knuckles is more fun to play, but also you get more out of playing Knuckles if you've already played as Sonic or Tails.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:48 pm

When I was a kid, playing those, I couldn't beat the game as Tails. That part in Carnival Night where you have to hold up and down on a rubberbanding platform to swing it farther and farthhr each time, this was completely unintuitive and I could not figure it out.

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:33 pm

#robotnikstrick