To Build a Better Battle System

Healy

To Build a Better Battle System

Postby Healy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:36 pm

So I'm trying to build a combat system in Twine. If you've never heard of it before, it's the system that games like Horse Master and the uncle who works for nintendo were made in. Anyway, I don't want to make it an RPG affair, so I'm trying to figure out a way to create a puzzly combat system. So far I've looked at Slap That Fish, which I hated, but I think it gave me a good idea of what I want to avoid, so hey! I'm gonna look into some other IF-puzzly combat games, but I'd also like any ideas you guys would be able to spitball at me.

So, anybody got any ideas for a combat system that's more of a puzzle? It's still pretty early yet, so anything you guys got would be a big help: half-formed ideas, full-formed ideas, quarter-formed ideas... The only caveats I have are that any ideas have to be turn-based (Twine can handle real-time events with a script, but I'd rather not start with this project) and they have to use textual commands (I doubt that's gonna be a problem; we've all played Dragon Quest, right?). So, leave 'em here if you got 'em!

zaratustra

Re: To Build a Better Battle System

Postby zaratustra » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Queen's Blade / Marvel Battlebooks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%27s_Blade) has a rather complex system that boils to:

1. Both you and your opponent are in a certain 'stance'
2. Both of you pick a move to perform.
3. Based on the current stance and the move performed, both take damage and/or change to a new stance.

Healy

Postby Healy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:42 am

Hmm, I'll have to look into how exactly that works. Thanks, man!

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:43 am

You can download an online version here - http://queensbladebattle.blogspot.co.uk ... e-404.html

I'd download it to remind me of how things work again, but this thing is something I don't want to try to explain to my wife.