the big dumb game ideas megathread

Postby Newbie » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:22 am

You know how this works.

So, it's a traditional console RPG, but we use a factional system not dissimilar to what Levine's describing here. However: the factions themselves are the diegetic excuse for classic RPG structures like shops and inns and save points. Obviously a suspend function would still be necessary, but in this context all you'd need to do to activate hardcore mode is have your party denounce the Order of Future Vision. Plus, since that group has provenance over save points and would obviously be using them against you, they're all immune to critical hits, surprise attacks, they never use elemental attacks that you could shrug off or absorb, etc.

A console RPG where, after the "real" villain has made his grand entrance and everything changes, your party regroups at the inn... and your two least-used party members take you to one side, explain that your objectives have drifted too far from their goals, and they leave to go their own ways. You can track them down, but they're not interested in talking and they'll never rejoin you. For the rest of the game, they're a mute reminder of your inattention. (Shortly afterward, the villain kills your second-most-used character.)

A major recurring enemy is the "memory devourer." You never fight it or encounter it in cutscenes, etc., because it wipes your memory of these events. Sufficiently insulated or artificial characters might refer back to events confined to those periods, though, implying the existence of the creature. If you ever read the in-game resource about killing a memory devourer and collect the appropriate preparatory supplies, exiting to the next area will bring you to the victory screen over the creature's butchered corpse, divvying the spoils.
tiny text

zaratustra

Re: the big dumb game ideas megathread

Postby zaratustra » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:14 am

The Ravenloft adventure The Shadow Rift has the adventurers enter a cave and immediately come out the other side with some supplies spent, assorted wounds and missing spells, and a few new items.

Postby Newbie » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:51 am

Heh, that's fun. Actually, a tabletop setting works even better: my original thought was, could you make a game to gaslight the player? It'd be easier to casually reference encounters that never occurred when your game isn't being Let's Played.
tiny text

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:52 pm

Games that start fucking with the UI/UX have really been pretty eye-opening over the last few years. (Or farther back. Remember X-Men on the Genesis, and how to complete the second-to-last level you had to press the Reset button on the console?)

I vividly remember the first time you get gassed with fear toxin in Arkham Asylum. And the ending sequence in The Walking Dead Season 1.

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:28 pm

Newbie wrote:could you make a game to gaslight the player? It'd be easier to casually reference encounters that never occurred when your game isn't being Let's Played.

Silent Hill 2 did something a bit like this. One of the items is a letter from James's wife that has different text at different points in the game, and near the end is eventually revealed to have been just a blank scrap of paper the entire time

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:29 am

An interactive fiction game where each performed action is a comic panel. Your game ends once the 26 pages of the comic are done. You can then publish the comic online.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:28 am

One thing I still want to do: Super Mario Crossover, but each character belonging to a different genre. So, if you went into Mario level with the RPG character, you'd walk around it like a rpg level.

Postby Newbie » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:58 am

A jumping Koopa lands on you: random encounter? Instant death? Pushed off the bottom of the screen?
tiny text

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:39 am

Random encounter, obv. You're only pushed if you ram against the koopa while you're a racecar.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:10 pm

The "first level of Donkey Kong but you're Link and can't jump" idea in NES Remix was great except I thought they should have let you use your sword.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:00 pm

Dungeon crawl action / adventure

One hub where you can store items and 'save' with multiple arms branching into the different levels. When you die you restart at the hub with your last saved experience and access to all the stored items. Saving or dying respawns all enemies.

Spram

Postby Spram » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:29 am

Maybe I shouldn't put this here because it's GOLD. But. A Discovery Zone simulator. Basically a randomly generated maze of colorful ball pits, slides, bouncy castles and other shit. Play styles can be capture the flag, discovery, tag, marking your territory by vomiting. Basically it's for those of us who are too old and big to go to real places like that.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:08 pm

Spram wrote:Maybe I shouldn't put this here because it's GOLD. But. A Discovery Zone simulator. Basically a randomly generated maze of colorful ball pits, slides, bouncy castles and other shit.
I think I've been off the boards and on MyFace for too long; I keep seeing good posts and looking for a "like" button.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:45 pm

Oh... I didn't even realize you were a "poster formerly known as..."!

Uh, you'll forgive the question, I hope, but... who are you, Hardly?

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Mongrel wrote:Oh... I didn't even realize you were a "poster formerly known as..."!

Friend of Romo's from way back. Haven't been around since... hm. I think the place was still called The Seven Deadly Forums, MGS4 was still a thing, and Friday was doing her mutagenic zombie mindfuck CYOA mega-thread. But even then, I wasn't particularly active.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:55 pm

8)

sei

Postby sei » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:09 am

Hardly Ideal wrote:
Mongrel wrote:Oh... I didn't even realize you were a "poster formerly known as..."!

Friend of Romo's from way back. Haven't been around since... hm. I think the place was still called The Seven Deadly Forums, MGS4 was still a thing, and Friday was doing her mutagenic zombie mindfuck CYOA mega-thread. But even then, I wasn't particularly active.

Jan?

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:53 am

OMG DON'T USE MY WARCRAFT NAME YOU BLEW MY COVER
Oh yeah, that's what this is about.

I had a dream where I was being chased up a stairwell by a bunch of men in black. I'm not sure if I actually got away, but I distinctly remember trying to evade them by willing myself to become invisible as they passed.

After going through the usual "oh wait that was just a dream" haze, I thought "...that'd make a rad game." Maybe it'd work like some kind of fugitive sim. Like, you'd have to move between safe-houses, keep up with the news coverage of your escape, change your appearance to throw off investigators, and of course action-packed escapes as you try and get to the bottom of things. And maybe raise a cute kitten or collect cool toys along the way.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:04 am

Friday was doing her mutagenic zombie mindfuck CYOA mega-thread

which one

Jan?

I read that N as M and had a moment for a moment
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway