the big dumb game ideas megathread

Friday

Re: the big dumb game ideas megathread

Postby Friday » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:45 am

Suddenly, Former Gangbanger Kitten returned to his life of crime.

"Na ahh maa waah," you said, holding a stick in your mouth. (You were really good at it.)

Rabbit rolled his eyes. "What are you going to do, Puppy? Use your Bankai to get FGK to go straight?"

But you weren't listening to Rabbit, you were busy pawing at the side of The Nintendo Zapper, where a tiny, tiny keypad had been placed in case you ever needed to get in touch with --

"SPACE POLICE BEAR!" you barked. "WE NEED YOU TO COME AND SCARE A KITTEN WHO IS AT A VERY IMPRESSIONABLE TIME IN HIS LIFE STRAIGHT!"

The radio on the Nintendo Zapper crackled. "I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU," came the reply. "THIS IS REAL LIFE, NOT THE DREAMWORLD, SO YOU CAN ONLY BARK."

"Bark bark bark!" You said.

"I'LL BE RIGHT THERE!" Space Police Bear said, and crashed through a nearby wall.

Rabbit narrowly dodged a flying brick by jumping over it. "This is far too ridiculous, even for a stupid one-off post," he said.

Just then, Rainbow the Trout poked his head up from a nearby pond. "Puppy! I'm still your spirit guide and you're still asleep! You need to wake up and fulfill your destiny!"

"I already bombed that wall," you explain.

"Oh," Rainbow said, and ducked back underwater.

"WHERE IS THE KITTEN WHO IS AT A VERY IMPRESSIONABLE TIME IN HIS LIFE?" Space Police Bear asked.

"The Boy who was wearing mittens has captured him," you informed Space Police Bear. "I think the Boy might be the symbolic figure of either evil, futility, or mortality. I forget. I think I found snakes? And one of them always lied and the other one was blue? I don't really --"

JUST THEN YOU SAW

1. OH MY GOD A BUTTERFLY IS IT THE SAME BUTTERFLY FROM THE VERY FIRST POST? PROBABLY WHO KNOWS
2. That fucking bird he keeps looking at me look at him he's probably a bird what are birds? you just don't know
3. SPACE POLICE BEAR IS WEARING A SPACE POLICE HAT
4. someone in real life walked by and you could wake up but i dunno you'll never catch THAT BUTTERFLY
5. are we two layers deep now is this some inception shit did I write this before Inception came out? jesus christ
6. sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

...alright fine god

7. Guild
ImageImageImage

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:12 am

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:23 pm

God damn vampires.

Yoji

Re: big dumb game - hay guys imma talk about forum gaem

Postby Yoji » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:03 pm

I think it was like 5 years ago, but I thought about trying to do a CYOA thing with Facebook friends. Friday inspired me and I thought "HAY I CAN DO THAT MAYBE I DUNNO LET'S TRY ANYWAY" Everyone responded with a collective shrug and went back to posting dumbass political memes.

I've been getting the itch to try again and I was wondering if anyone here would be more receptive, or if we're over that stuff now.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:05 pm

doit.meme

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Dungeon Keeper Meta:

Build dungeon, adventurers come to try and pillage it. There's gold to upgrade monsters and structures, Resources for building new structures and resources for acquiring monsters that can all be generated passively through systems you can build into your dungeon.

There's also a 'cash' currency. This can't actually be real money purchased by the player, but npc adventurer parties can choose to buy upgrades. You as the dungeon keeper get a cut of the sales (it's what keeps the adventuring economy going) which is used for your own temporary boosts, the strongest mercenary monsters, and plot-related progress items.

Adventurers will roam and loot until they reach their loot capacity or fear for their lives. No amount of pillaging from adventurers will lead to a game over, just more rebuilding.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:25 am

One Piece (and I guess Deadfire) inspired crpg.

You design a full crew with a Shipwright, Doctor, Cook, Navigator, Marksman, and Fighter. You choose one of the roles and become captain, all the rest of the crew is NPCs you have no direct control over.

Leveling trees all have basic combat skills and the class line of skills that feed out of the same pool. If you have a cook with full cooking maxed you can get 10x as far on supplies but they're worthless in combat, and similar for each type.

The captain's combat line develops faster than any other crew members to compensate for also having levels in 'captaining' or a good word that means that which determines what types of orders you can give the crew in and out of combat, and how quickly and accurately they'll respond. The captain can also be any class of crew member and have that third skill bar, allowing you to have a captain who's a terrible captain but good at their job and fighting, or a great captain and navigator, etc., but who relies on orders to the crew to control battles.

There's also a larger "crew" system where you can hire on nameless grunts that allow you to own larger and slower ships.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:13 pm

RPG with multiple endings, character relationship developments, town building, and other various choices to be made, all on a timer system. Multiple playthroughs would be required to cover them all, and there is a NG+(+++...) option, but it just makes all the encounters a little bit harder and the timers a little bit quicker, and a little something-something to give obtuse hints that the right triggers are being pulled and recorded.

You get all the triggers pulled in either the negative or positive direction and on the final playthrough you inherit the combined XP of all previous iterations, making you a complete beast with the options to completely change the game world and let out all your catharsis.

So like, maybe kinda Bravely Default 2 I guess.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue May 21, 2019 9:17 am

Action adventure open world game with a single protagonist main character who has nearly endless customization. You can change clothes, hair, lose and replace limbs, all sorts of armors and weapons.

Main gameplay involves time or space manipulation in some mechanical way, culminating in certain fights or areas where there's online play connectivity where dozens of versions of the MC from all the universes (other players preferably or randomly generated NPCS as needed) are fighting and dying alongside each other to complete the objective.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:27 am

Metroidvania where you start with all the gear and have to give pieces up as you progress, until you're just taking on the final boss with your laser whip.

Each piece of equipment is only necesarry in the area you'll lose it, and otherwise you just miss out on power ups or some other thematically appropriate exclusion.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:21 pm

have you played Overwhelm? you don't lose powerups but the enemies do get stronger with each area hit

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:06 am

I've been thinking about the Beamdog cRPGs, and how I've been modding Skyrim recently. And it turns out all I want from an RPG is a combat mechanic that can either be played out in real time or round-based like AD&D.

Dragon Age Inquisition had a kind of lame version of this where you could either action-adventure control your MC, or do an overhead control of all characters, but it was still the same realtime combat with hotbar actions.

I imagine being able to push forward to run towards an enemy, than light attack, light attack, dodge, heavy attack, and have it play out exactly the same as if you chose 'run', 'walk and attack', 'attack and opportunity react', 'use feat: cleave'. If a round takes a set amount of time, a standard attack or move has predetermined ranges, the only wonkiness I can see is in turn-based mode enemies would have to move at least a half-turn after you, which would make jumping back and forth weird. But that doesn't seem like enough of a hurdle that I can't think of a single game that makes a real attempt at this kind of system.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:59 pm

super

hot

super

hot

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:28 am

Pokemon clone but all the adorable pocket monsters only "evolve" during combat. Each individual 'mon has different potential combat forms determined by natures which impact both their combat form design and abilities/stats.

JD

Postby JD » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:44 pm

I had this dream about an MGSV DLC where they build a twelve foot tall hi-tech mecha suit for Miller, and it has to be telepathically controlled because of course he's missing a leg and arm. The problem is he's so full of rage that the mecha suit goes on a rampage, and nobody can control him.

At some point during a mission, Robo-Miller shows up, and you have to hide from him, because he's gonna kill even Snake in his rage, and if he steps on you it's basically game over (I guess a quicktime event to dodge). So you have to flee and stealth away to avoid him, like Mr X, because you have to complete your current mission first, which is some kind of stealth rescue mission of an important intel team member or something, so of course you're not equipped with rockets or mech-fighting units.

Ocelot also radios in to tell you not to fight him because he's too dangerous, and also you don't want to risk killing Miller, but eventually he becomes to much of a liability, and you have to fight Miller Gear.

The mech can also telepathically control Snake and his buddy like Psycho Mantis. There's an easter egg where you can counter it by wearing the gold paint skin, because gold is dense and therefore blocks telepathy the same way lead blocks Superman's x-ray vision. I think in my dream I just airdropped in a gold tank.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:43 pm

beatbandito wrote:Pokemon clone but all the adorable pocket monsters only "evolve" during combat. Each individual 'mon has different potential combat forms determined by natures which impact both their combat form design and abilities/stats.

Oh, that could be either really fun or really frustrating. Like that useless fish 'mon does nothing... until it has less than 10HP left, then it turns into a megalodon.

JD wrote:At some point during a mission, Robo-Miller shows up, and you have to hide from him, because he's gonna kill even Snake in his rage, and if he steps on you it's basically game over (I guess a quicktime event to dodge). So you have to flee and stealth away to avoid him, like Mr X, because you have to complete your current mission first, which is some kind of stealth rescue mission of an important intel team member or something, so of course you're not equipped with rockets or mech-fighting units.

Hey, I'd download that. Every so often, I find myself thinking I'd have just as much fun with a game like Titanfall if all I did was evade the giant robots. I've had to talk myself out of buying a copy of Left Alive a few times.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:10 pm

lobby-based co-op game communication system:

Each player gets an "affirmative" and "negative" emote they can't unbind, and two custom bullshit emotes to be purchased, unlocked, whatever. On a team of say 4 there's one commander who also has the ability to mark the map or targets for all players, and a "retreat" command that opens an otherwise sealed means of escape, abandoning the mission with what you've got, as opposed to dying and losing stuff.

I feel like that is the maximum amount of communication any matchmaker game needs.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu May 14, 2020 8:49 pm

Character creator with "random" option that randomizes your character at every loading screen throughout the game.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu May 14, 2020 9:56 pm

Super Mario Odyssey kinda went there.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:54 pm

Witch In The Woods: Sim/Tycoon/Management, Survival/???

You play as an apprentice chemist/alchemist living in the woods in a nondescript "medieval" setting. It was just you and the person that raised you, near a small town. Your master was accepted wearily, and would only be rarely sought out for major medical issues. Due to reasons, after the tutorial, your master is gone and you just have to survive.

Main gameplay is survival. You can hunt and gather in the woods to create/improve/fix your home, lab, and such. You can make potions to sell to get food and supplies, or gather what you can yourself. Other people can come to you to either cause issues or ask for help, and dealing with them while maintaining your "lifestyle" is the real intent.

There's, let's say, an island with woods, swamplands, open fields, two small towns and one big city. The town right next to the woods you live in is the only one that accepts you even a little bit at the start. By doing right by them and not standing out too much you can increase their trust in you. The city is religious and not accepting of outsiders generally, but definitely not you, and not at the start.

I don't really have a plot or endgoal in mind, I imagine it as procedurally generated with AI routines and personalities guiding everyone else on the island's attitude and actions.

You can travel all over the island right from the get-go, but maybe while you're out your shack gets looted by kids from the village that think of you as a witch. If you walk right to the gates of the main city and try to sell potions before having a reputation you're jailed/executed right there on the spot. If you spend months ignoring the first village and just becoming a potion master they no longer trust you, and the affects of your potions make them fear and jail/execute you. Work your way to becoming a renowned medic in the city, or stay as a barely-known and warily-accepted hermit doing their best to survive the wilds without worrying about other people.

Edit: got carried away trying to think of specifics. The main balance to strike will basically be "knowledge". If you learn about different uses for different ingredients and can make good medicine (think somewhere between diner dash and elder scrolls crafting) and teach people they can trust you more. If you run into the city like "hey fuckers let me tell you 1000 things about mushrooms" they execute you.