FinalFight Discord?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

FinalFight Discord?

Postby Mothra » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:05 pm

Wondering how y'all feel about setting up a #finalfight Discord, or a Bronto Discord? I have a lot of forum communities that have migrated from olde forume to Discord, and it seems a better fit for a lot of people (mobile, threads, voice chat, etc).

I guess that's the other question I have: Is there a reason #finalfight IRC folk haven't just moved on to Discord at this point? Or is it just awaiting someone to make it?

Grath

Re: FinalFight Discord?

Postby Grath » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:16 pm

But if there's an actual Bronto discord, will Friday join and leave it every night?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:18 pm

#ff at this point is mostly in silversong's discord, with some people just in the talking time discord. I would join and idle to some extent in another server attempting to get more people together.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:19 pm

Mothra wrote:Wondering how y'all feel about setting up a #finalfight Discord, or a Bronto Discord? I have a lot of forum communities that have migrated from olde forume to Discord, and it seems a better fit for a lot of people (mobile, threads, voice chat, etc).

I guess that's the other question I have: Is there a reason #finalfight IRC folk haven't just moved on to Discord at this point? Or is it just awaiting someone to make it?

I think Silver's server is already the default for this.

Come play Jackbox with us!

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:28 pm

I'm not sure if Silver still uses her Discord for playing with her real world friends. I think we might scare off the normies, like that one new poster a couple years ago.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:34 pm

hngkong wrote:I'm not sure if Silver still uses her Discord for playing with her real world friends. I think we might scare off the normies, like that one new poster a couple years ago.

Doesn't look like it from what I've seen (I have Discord up pretty frequently). But I'll leave it to Silver to confirm this for sure.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:40 pm

Discordforumus
Discordasaurus?
Worst Discord Ever?

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:51 pm

Z%rø wrote:Discordforumus
Discordasaurus?
Worst Discord Ever?

Silverserver, clearly.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:56 pm

Silverserver is a pretty great name for it yeah

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:17 pm

Mongrel wrote:
hngkong wrote:I'm not sure if Silver still uses her Discord for playing with her real world friends. I think we might scare off the normies, like that one new poster a couple years ago.

Doesn't look like it from what I've seen (I have Discord up pretty frequently). But I'll leave it to Silver to confirm this for sure.

she specifically explained to IRL friends groups that internet people would be colonizing and it wouldn't be for their RPGs a while back, as I understand. So that we could post sexy clowns.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:35 pm

I prefer IRC because as a platform it can't be sold along with its collected data to Microsoft or some NFT company overnight. So no Discord is ever going to fully replace that.

But as stated, there are several Brontoid Discords floating around, many of them set up specifically to get the hell away from somebody in #finalfight. So you can add as many to the pot as you feel like.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:05 pm

beatbandito wrote:So that we could post sexy clowns.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:24 pm

Brentai wrote:But as stated, there are several Brontoid Discords floating around, many of them set up specifically to get the hell away from somebody in #finalfight. So you can add as many to the pot as you feel like.

How many of these have any traffic, I've got a half-dozen Discords already that get like one post a month

Like I was on the Dadstodon discord for a while but I was the Mongrel there. I was the Mongrel.

Postby Newbie » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:34 pm

I have been (begrudgingly, bitterly) increasing my familiarity with discord, and as much as I dislike it, it works for me in a way that no mobile IRC app ever has. Pretty sure I've got a discord profile logged into the Legitimate Businessmen that I haven't checked on in years? Among possibly others?
tiny text

Lady

Postby Lady » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:34 pm

Büge wrote:
beatbandito wrote:So that we could post sexy clowns.

beautiful

there is another discord now

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:31 pm

<Global>
[Network Notice] kbuck - Hi all, you may be aware that we have not been able to send NickServ emails for a few weeks now. In addition to this outage, we are also currently unable to renew TLS certificates and update DNS records, both critical infrastructure for IRC operation. We do not currently have time or resources to replace this infrastructure.
18:13
[Network Notice] Currently, our DNS caches are expiring, which has resulted in some users being unable to connect. As time goes on, the DNS issues will worsen. Additionally, on March 25, our TLS certificates will expire and not be renewed. This will render the IRC network largely unusable. We recommend that you put plans into place to move your communities elsewhere. Thanks, EsperNet staff.

So Discord may be the new home.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:21 pm

Wow. I don't say this and mean it seriously pretty much ever, but it's the end of an era.

RIP #finalfight.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:28 pm

Yeah, I already commented that this is crazy. Twenty-six years.

TBH, Discord becoming the default platform has its pros and cons, but it does kind of suck in being far too bloated if you just use it for pure text chat.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:14 pm

It's also not ideal for privacy. But the usability is way better.

That said, there are still other IRC networks you could move #finalfight to.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:42 pm

I don't mind discord, and I am on the discord, but I do prefer IRC in several regards.
I know it's always been esper.net but like... does anybody have any qualms with libera.chat (formerly freenode)
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.