#Tell Friday

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: #Tell Friday

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 09, 2022 12:55 am

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Mon May 09, 2022 11:09 am

How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon May 09, 2022 12:22 pm

YOU DIED.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon May 09, 2022 12:52 pm

Friday wrote:I would say "the internet has already loaded me down with the maximum number of kinks allowed per degenerate" but it turns out that I have just recently learned that I am, actually, very interested in sex clowns.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon May 09, 2022 1:22 pm

At some point I'm gonna need to talk about Roe vs Wade in this thread. I can't just bury my head in the sand forever. I assume discussion on the topic is going on in the, hmm, let me guess, Barefoot and Pregnant thread?

Been thinking about when I expressed my dismay at how the world was going to get a lot worse in our lifetimes back in 2010 or so and Arc told me that I was wrong because the divorce rate was down and that I couldn't cite anything that happened during Bush's presidency because it was a blip.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 09, 2022 1:37 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Image

Better rhyme scheme than the original.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 09, 2022 1:49 pm

Friday wrote:At some point I'm gonna need to talk about Roe vs Wade in this thread. I can't just bury my head in the sand forever. I assume discussion on the topic is going on in the, hmm, let me guess, Barefoot and Pregnant thread?

Not a lot. I think examining the reasons it's terrible is unnecessary, and trying to talk about its political ramifications is crass. At least, coming from someone like me who isn't personally impacted.

It's a huge fucking thing and it's going to continue to be a huge fucking thing and it doesn't need my hot takes.

I did post this in the Worthy Causes thread:

Thad wrote:Abortion donation links. Thread/Nitter mirror

Been thinking about when I expressed my dismay at how the world was going to get a lot worse in our lifetimes back in 2010 or so and Arc told me that I was wrong because the divorce rate was down and that I couldn't cite anything that happened during Bush's presidency because it was a blip.

I think we need to be able to find a balance where we're optimistic enough to believe things really can get better, without falling into the naivete of ignoring the very legitimate risks that they're going to get a lot worse.

I like to think I'm usually pretty good at that, even if I err a little bit on the optimism/naivete side. But it's getting harder and harder to maintain even my usual level of tempered, actually-kind-of-cynical optimism.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon May 09, 2022 2:09 pm

I think we need to be able to find a balance where we're optimistic enough to believe things really can get better, without falling into the naivete of ignoring the very legitimate risks that they're going to get a lot worse.

Thanks, this is precisely what I have been trying to convey to people for a long time.

It's not good to fall into despair, but I mean

I had a conversation with my friends during a board game night several months ago about Roe and how they were going to overturn it soon and they all said they didn't believe it would happen in our lifetimes.

My mom's response as a typical boomer was "can't they just drive to a state where it's still legal?" This coming from a woman who marched for her own reproductive rights in the 60s and 70s as a young girl.

Boomers are checked the fuck out. They're gone, man, solid gone.

I dunno. My irl friends are all just clueless and my mom is senile or something. I just wanna talk about this issue with some people who aren't, you know, braindead. But you're right that talking about it is probably just... whatever. It's awful, women will die, women will have their lives ruined, men will ALSO have their lives ruined, kids will be born into poverty and have awful lives, and this will also lead to states banning birth control or making plan B a homicide crime or whatever.

And the flipside is maybe it gets some more leftists to vote in 2022 and 2024.

There. I guess that's the conversation.

I like to think I'm usually pretty good at that, even if I err a little bit on the optimism/naivete side. But it's getting harder and harder to maintain even my usual level of tempered, actually-kind-of-cynical optimism.

I think you've probably got a realistic mindset. When I do find myself disagreeing with you, it's not because you're overly naive or pessimistic. I even remember shooting you a PM about not losing hope after Trump won in 2016, in the rare case of me having more hope than you. Not that it wasn't a good excuse to lose hope. The whole of the left minus me was shattered for 2 weeks. I gave a pep talk to Romo and a few others too. It was the rare case where my relentless lack of faith in humanity actually resulted in me being less depressed than everyone else because I simply wasn't that surprised he won.

Sorry, this is sort of turning into a brag about how edgy and right I am. What I want to convey is that I think you've got a solid mind and a solid outlook. At the very least I have never thought of you as anywhere near "naive".

And for the record, I have never taken any pleasure in being right when I predict bad things are coming. It just makes me feel even worse. I remember your response about us pulling out of Afghanistan finally, and how tired it made you feel to be right ten years ago.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 09, 2022 2:57 pm

Friday wrote:There. I guess that's the conversation.

That's about how I feel about it. With a side of "this seems like one of those things where as a cishet white guy the best thing I can do is sit back and let other people talk."

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon May 09, 2022 3:46 pm

I get where you're coming from, but honestly I have never bought fully into that reasoning even in other matters though it's not without validity. And specific to reproductive rights, while it obviously affects women a hell of a lot more, it DOES affect men too. A teen couple who gets pregnant usually results in neither the boy nor girl wanting to keep the kid, and overturning Roe certainly affects the penis-havers rights there too. Like I said earlier, this can ruin/negatively impact men's lives.

It's sort of like how Cops murdering the shit out of everyone is obviously first and foremost a minority (primarily black) thing, but it's important to note that they murder the shit out of white people far more than they ought to also. It's an issue that affects everyone even if it clearly affects one group far more.

In any case, I think this is an all hands on deck affair. Anyone who is pro-choice is welcome as far as I'm concerned. I think most of the "holy shit, shut the fuck up, old white man" is aimed at the ones who are, you know, looking to turn women into chattel incubators with no rights.
ImageImageImage

Lady

Postby Lady » Mon May 09, 2022 4:20 pm

stop shitting up the #tell friday thread, friday <3

the last 25 weeks have certainly given me some Thoughts about recent events, and I don't mind sharing them, but IMO I want to split the last few posts into their own thing, keep this thread light-hearted and horny or whatever, because tbh it's good for lots of people, and the other one can be 'discuss serious topics that friday has spoons for atm', but I'll defer to popular opinion

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon May 09, 2022 4:27 pm

okay yeah this space has become a place other people can go to without having to worry about the world intruding.

We now resume our regularly scheduled cat.

ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 09, 2022 4:44 pm

Friday wrote:I get where you're coming from, but honestly I have never bought fully into that reasoning even in other matters though it's not without validity. And specific to reproductive rights, while it obviously affects women a hell of a lot more, it DOES affect men too. A teen couple who gets pregnant usually results in neither the boy nor girl wanting to keep the kid, and overturning Roe certainly affects the penis-havers rights there too. Like I said earlier, this can ruin/negatively impact men's lives.

It's sort of like how Cops murdering the shit out of everyone is obviously first and foremost a minority (primarily black) thing, but it's important to note that they murder the shit out of white people far more than they ought to also. It's an issue that affects everyone even if it clearly affects one group far more.

In any case, I think this is an all hands on deck affair. Anyone who is pro-choice is welcome as far as I'm concerned. I think most of the "holy shit, shut the fuck up, old white man" is aimed at the ones who are, you know, looking to turn women into chattel incubators with no rights.

It's more that I don't feel I have anything special to contribute to the conversation. Everybody's got a pretty good idea where I stand, and there are other people speaking eloquently and passionately about the issue who have more of a stake in it than I do.

I could talk about Democratic messaging or what effect this could have on the next couple of elections or whatever, but I have no appetite for that kind of noodling right now. Like I said, it feels crass. People are angry, people are mourning, people are going to suffer and die. That's where my head is right now.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Mon May 09, 2022 4:51 pm

My only contribution to the conversation is that I am fucking exhausted of the officials we elected to protect us from this shit deflecting all the blame back onto us for not electing them *harder*
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 09, 2022 5:11 pm

WARNING!

Post Review: A fuckton of new posts have been made to this topic because you are slower than dirt. You may wish to not bother with your dumbshit post in light of this.

Sent as PM instead.

Have a topical & safe Ukraine NGL meme instead.

Also, puma pic is AWESOME. HIGH RES, I CAN SEE EVERY HAIR. And kiddo LOOKING at momma with that kiddo look.

I can even see the lil red smudges on kiddo from whoever they ate for lunch and like I dunno, but that is also adorbs to me.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Mon May 09, 2022 5:12 pm

I don't have the dexterity to do sleight of hand stuff anymore, but I still collect fancy decks of cards.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon May 09, 2022 6:45 pm

@Esperath

ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 09, 2022 7:35 pm

You want high res, I gotcher high res right here. Check out dis fledgling boi

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue May 10, 2022 1:42 am

Friday wrote:okay yeah this space has become a place other people can go to without having to worry about the world intruding.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that was meant as a joke about you ruining the ability for Friday to read this thread safely! How fucking dare you?!
(Maybe your reply was a joke, too, but I'm less confident?)

But either way, look at this Image