State of the Brontos

Spram

Re: State of the Brontos

Postby Spram » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:42 pm

Like what??

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:58 am

Spram, it kinda seems like every time you show up, you feel like you need to express yourself in some kind of self-pitying way in order to get attention.

You don't need to do that, man. You can just talk. People will respond or they won't, in much the same way that people will respond to any of your other posts or they won't.

A lot of us feel like you do, more or less, and have said as much. Messageboards aren't what they used to be; everybody's moved to Facebook and Twitter and there's not as much activity in places like this as there used to be. I'm with you; I think that's a shame.

As far as the Internet invading reality, yeah, I think I know what you mean by that, and it's pretty miserable too.

We're none of us getting any younger and I think a lot of us understand what you mean about not having hope for the future anymore. I think we're all in the same boat as far as that goes, and I think that's what Brent meant in his reply, though of course he can speak for himself.

You wanna talk about games? There's not as much traffic on the Games board as there used to be, but people still like to talk about games. Friday's been going through a list of her 100 favorites and there's an awful lot there to discuss.

You wanna talk about the dystopian turn the world's taken? We've got a politics board for that.

There aren't as many of us as there used to be. I miss some of the old crew, though there are some people I don't miss, too. I think we've still got a pretty good group here.

It is what it is. Through a combination of common interests and sheer fucking stubbornness, we're still here, and those of us who are left are doing much the same thing we've been doing for the last 18 and a half years. (It's not "20+"; the first incarnation of the Pyoko boards went up in early 2002. But you were close.) So you wanna talk about video games and weird shit on the Internet? Ain't nobody stopping you, dude; go nuts.

Just maybe don't post any pictures of naked shit-covered babies. Go nuts, but within socially-acceptable parameters.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:55 am

I mean, one of the IRC room's senior members is a foul-mouthed chatbot that has become alarmingly lucid over the years. You'll probably be okay.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:14 am

I always stay away from #FF, partially because I can't be arsed to keep yet another chat program loaded all the time, but partially I figure there's some folks who appreciate having a Mongrel-free safe space. :V

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:14 am

!8V
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:34 am

Mongrel wrote:but partially I figure there's some folks who appreciate having a Mongrel-free safe space. :V

Friday says that but she's a tsundere. She brings you up every chance she gets.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:14 pm

Look man, there's no way you're gonna get me to take a job at Subway.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:58 pm

Yoji wrote:I mean, one of the IRC room's senior members is a foul-mouthed chatbot that has become alarmingly lucid over the years. You'll probably be okay.

My "don't post any pictures of naked shit-covered babies" example was not a hypothetical.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:26 pm

hey i'm sad
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:56 pm

Thad wrote:
Yoji wrote:I mean, one of the IRC room's senior members is a foul-mouthed chatbot that has become alarmingly lucid over the years. You'll probably be okay.

My "don't post any pictures of naked shit-covered babies" example was not a hypothetical.

I suspected that was just a little too oddly specific...

Friday wrote:hey i'm sad

"Hey Sad, I'm-"

- nahhh don't do that (but you did anyway (shut up)).

2020 is shitty enough to be getting to all of us, but I'm not gonna try and guess what might be hitting particularly hard. What's up?

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:01 am

Checking in from the pacific northwest council of emo vampire douchebags or whatever and turns out shit's on fire yo.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Mothra wrote:
Mongrel wrote:What are the odds that we might be able to get a windowed spoiler tag?

I know I'm the main offender for HUEGPORSTS, but I've seen other forums where instead of highlight spoilering like we have, you have to click on a tag which expands the posts. It'd be useful for any long post, especially ones with lots of images, etc. Like we get in some of the Let's Plays.

I wouldn't remove the current highlight spoiler though. That would screw up old posts, but it's still useful when you just need to spoiler a word or two, obviously.

Alright, added a "Summary" button.

⇳ Click to Expand Summary
This button will expand and collapse content.

Don't know of a better way to make this look good, so, anyone with html experience, let me know if you have suggestions.

Doesn't work with multiple summary tags on the same page, because it relies on the hidden portion having the id "demo". It would work if there was a way to assign each one a unique name -- maybe increment it each time, or if that's not possible, maybe just assign a random string as the ID (or some common string followed by a random string)?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:06 pm

As is well apparent, I have a very base-level understanding of how to code anything functional.

Here's what I used for the tag code:

Code: Select all

[summary]{TEXT}[/summary]

<a href="#demo" data-toggle="collapse"><b>⇳ Click to Expand Summary</b></a>

<div id="demo" class="collapse">
{TEXT}
</div>

If you guys can change that and post what I should replace it with, I can do that.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:33 pm

There's not any way to do what I'm suggesting with plain HTML; you'd need to use JavaScript or PHP in some capacity.

I'm not familiar with how plugins like this work in phpBB; if it's literally {TEXT} then there's probably some equivalent you can put in there where it's <div id="collapse-{VARIABLENAME}" class="collapse">{TEXT}</div> and VARIABLENAME is defined as some randomly-generated string of characters somewhere.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:33 pm

How do I create this randomly-generated string of characters?

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:37 pm

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:20 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:34 am

Mothra wrote:Image

Right there with ya man.

Lady

Postby Lady » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:42 am

This would get us to multiple posts being able to use it in a thread. Cogitating on multiple-within-a-post options.

<a href="#summary{POST_ID}" data-toggle="collapse"><b>⇳ Click to Expand Summary</b></a>

<div id="summary{POST_ID}" class="collapse">
{TEXT}
</div>

Lady

Postby Lady » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:36 pm

stick this in the page scripts somewhere at the top (not sure where atm)

var     summaries = document.getElementsByName('summary');
if (summaries.length > 0) {for (i=0; i<summaries.length; i++) { var new_id = summaries[i]['href'].replace(/.*#([^\s]+$)/, '$1' + i);
           summaries[i].setAttribute('href', '#' + new_id); summaries[i].nextElementSibling.setAttribute('id', new_id);
               };};

Change the template to

<a href="#summary{POST_ID}" data-toggle="collapse" name="summary"><b>⇳ Click to Expand Summary</b></a>

<div id="summary{POST_ID}" class="collapse">
{TEXT}
</div>

Should replace {POST_ID} on the server-side, then the JS will run on the page and make it so that every little spoiler has a unique ID. Probably don't need {POST_ID} in that case, but it's tidier if someone isn't using JS. (although nothing will be able to show)