A Brief History of Brontoforumus

Maximillian

Re: A Brief History of Brontoforumus

Postby Maximillian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Bal wrote:I've been listening to Geo talk with his real voice for 15 years. If anything, it's worse.

I met him a couple of times. Geo's real voice is almost constant chill, even if he's saying something pretty charged. Don't think I've heard from him in eight or nine years. He was the guy who got 'refugee' status with me during DoomCon and got to bail to sleep over at a former friend's ex-wifes place, instead of "Stacking people in sleeping bags like logs"-con's sleeping arrangements.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:58 pm

Bal wrote:
Bal Today at 8:07 AM
There's a history of the forums thread going right now. Can I get a block quote of why you quit? Because Thad unsurprisingly doesn't understand, but I don't want to misrepresent anything

Norondor Today at 8:17 AM
oh uhhhh
iron mongrel, piece of shit that he is, was arguing for circumstances in which rape could be argued to be the fault of the victim and after some back and forth i appealed to thad and the rest of the mods that either he had to go or i would, and they made their choice and got the poster they deserve
there was some other shit with mongrel before that, and i don't remember what it is, but he's a subnormal and shouldn't have been allowed to stay. but those idiots kept classic around, so

Unedited from Discord. We don't always get along around here, but it is what it is.

FFS.

I was making a joke about this post:

yyler wrote:Nor doesn't mind if Friend A and Friend B dislike each other. But when one does something against the other without provocation, he no longer wants that person's company. QED, Guild. Thad never replying to this and explaining himself was a big deal to him, I guess. I can't pretend to understand his moral code: I can only repeat it until he tells me to stop.

But misunderstanding an offhand joke about a conversation that happened 9 years ago and overreacting is just about the most yyler thing I can think of, so points for being topical!

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:40 pm

A whole bunch of people! wrote:Procopius' Secret History of Brontoforumus

Oh, so much the same as any other forum of sufficient size, and history, and density? Hah, well - as long as you put up with me, I think you'll find I don't kick up too much trouble...
But I am glad if my presence has also spurred some of that increased content, just a little.

but cheese and sausage and greens are all you need in life; all else is vanity

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Mongrel wrote:I mean the outcome of twenty pages of arguing about Nazis was basically "We're all on the same side, guys."

You were... against them? On balance?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:55 pm

Büge wrote:
Mongrel wrote:My litany of sins. At least I didn't get the Ted treatment that Thad got, lol xD

So what was this one for?

Heck if I know. One thing I do remember is him sending me a screenshot labeled mongrelisinsane.jpg.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:59 pm

Maximillian wrote:
Bal wrote:I've been listening to Geo talk with his real voice for 15 years. If anything, it's worse.

I met him a couple of times. Geo's real voice is almost constant chill, even if he's saying something pretty charged. Don't think I've heard from him in eight or nine years. He was the guy who got 'refugee' status with me during DoomCon and got to bail to sleep over at a former friend's ex-wifes place, instead of "Stacking people in sleeping bags like logs"-con's sleeping arrangements.

Geo still posts here, albeit very rarely and not all that recently. His Bronto account is Spooky Skeleton.

I think I last saw him in person about a year and a half ago? Considering he lives in Toronto, I should probably poke him again sometime.

mharr wrote:
Mongrel wrote:I mean the outcome of twenty pages of arguing about Nazis was basically "We're all on the same side, guys."

You were... against them? On balance?

I'm pretty sure no one wasn't!

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:15 pm

Wait, this forum has size and density? I think you're overestimating based on the amount of excitement one (1) new member produces.

Maximillian

Postby Maximillian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41 pm

I mean we can always greet them the old way by accusing them of being eloH/Guild/Soracross if it helps?

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:57 pm

i think everyone who has a problem with people should just do what i did and vanish off the face of the forum-earth for like a year for no actual reason other than vague anxieties and by the time you come back you won't even remember who used to annoy you all the time

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Maximillian wrote:I mean we can always greet them the old way by accusing them of being eloH/Guild/Soracross if it helps?

We did!

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:13 pm

Maximillian wrote:I mean we can always greet them the old way by accusing them of being eloH/Guild/Soracross if it helps?

Nah, too many ellipses
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:28 pm

Brentai wrote:Wait, this forum has size and density? I think you're overestimating based on the amount of excitement one (1) new member produces.

As for me, I am the deluge. Why, my monologuing is worth at least an extra one (1) person!
If anything, I find friends wherever I go, and strive to leave sweet conversation in my wake!
Or ellipses. As you please...

Niku wrote:i think everyone who has a problem with people should just do what i did and vanish off the face of the forum-earth for like a year for no actual reason other than vague anxieties and by the time you come back you won't even remember who used to annoy you all the time

This is good advice in general. I itemise every grudge and never forget who has wronged me, and by knowing when to pull back, can still find ways to forgive even the insults (real or perceived) I've clung to most desperately. Life is short; I think the recording may be sadly(?) lost to time, but I once busted into a surprisingly decent rap that nevertheless featured my desire to do terrible things to the skull of John Ashcroft. (And I marketed myself as a Republican at the time!) Somehow, the people I care about keeping company with have either forgiven me these moments, or found some amusement in them.

And the rest, I do not really care to look after.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:55 pm

Maximillian wrote:I left because the antisocial squabbling, bitching, moderation circus, and general, "Well okay, we'll tolerate this over here, but fuck you guys over here." hit levels where the lot of you really made me question my choices in life, and I decided that I'd just go somewhere else. In hindsight, Niku giving me constant shit for allowing 2-3 bots on my Unreal Tournament server was justified, I'm gonna let you have that win Niku.

Many of whose left seem to have grown the fuck up to an extent. Time seems to have changed some of you. Then there's Mr.Saturn who I can still read in his voice, after having met him once.

You guys are the weird semi-abusive family I grew up with in my downtime from like '97 to '07-ish. We did a few good things, like that community Magic set I hammered out with Cait and Zara.

I...honestly have no idea who you are.

Mongrel wrote:

We did!

I even made a Sei/Cassius joke!

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:59 pm

Thad wrote:I...honestly have no idea who you are.

you might say that even after all this time he's still kinda MAD

jr

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 pm

Niku wrote:

you might say that even after all this time he's still kinda MAD

jr

Great, now I've got the friggin' JAMES BOND JUNIOR theme stuck in my head. THANKS NIKU.

Maximillian

Postby Maximillian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:44 pm

I actually made a point to never engage you since you were usually so wrapped up in politics and debate. Wasn't my idea of a good time. I was here to play games with people. Also you weren't on the IRC side of things save for one new years visit that lasted like twenty minutes, so that made it easier. Nothing personal, I just had no desire to comment on anything in your domain and risk sparking debate, because those had a habit of becoming 10 page threads and a lot of rabble-rabble.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 am

It's amazing how many of our grudges are based on illusion, projection and brain farts. I was ready to engage in years of guerilla psych warfare against our neighbour, assuming her sudden hostility to my partner was inspired by Toni being an old hippie sporting a neon mohawk. Then I learned that she was living in a world randomised by Alzheimers, and I'm a bit of a twat.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:43 am

Niku wrote:jr

Poor guy could never get beyond Thunderdome.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:07 am

i think everyone who has a problem with people should just do what i did and vanish off the face of the forum-earth for like a year for no actual reason other than vague anxieties and by the time you come back you won't even remember who used to annoy you all the time

also Classic stopped posting while you were gone
ImageImageImage

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:31 am

mharr wrote:It's amazing how many of our grudges are based on illusion, projection and brain farts. I was ready to engage in years of guerilla psych warfare against our neighbour, assuming her sudden hostility to my partner was inspired by Toni being an old hippie sporting a neon mohawk. Then I learned that she was living in a world randomised by Alzheimers, and I'm a bit of a twat.

I don't think this is so terrible; you might feel bad, but without knowing, your willingness to go on the defence came from a good place. But it's also why I like and encourage courtesy at all hours. You learn to keep it up around people, and sometimes those you'd written off turn out to have a good enough reason, or switch things up, or just turn out to be decent enough people. (Besides, if I indulged all my perceived grudges, I'd waste an incredible amount of time!)

That being said, you should probably take what I say with a grain of salt!.. As I'm also, the last sentence... Ibid...