Friday says nice things about you

Silversong

Re: Friday says nice things about you

Postby Silversong » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:36 pm

I don't forum post lots, more of a chatroomer, but it's been a great 20-some years hanging out with everybody.

One time in like 2005 my laptop battery and also charging cable died and I was too broke to get a new one and someone sent me a replacement like days later. I wish I could remember who. That kind of stuff happens all the time around here. Even when we were all young and broke. I try to pay it forward, where I can.

MollyMetroid is fun and nice and writes good stories.

Cait is a saint and also gives good advice even if I don't always follow it.

I basically met Upth in person, Upth is cool and fun.

MetalSlime is a good dude who sends me cute pics when I'm sad.

fbm always dances as though no one is watching.

Kishi and Mazian do the best dramatic voice impressions.

Romo is such a good boi, I have to say it every time he comes up, "and then Romo said (he's such a good boi) he said"

Love you guys <3

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 pm

Oh, I forgot to say that I 100% agree with everyone about Cait.
The tiny occasional glimpses I get into his life always make me jealous of his patience and maturity.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:15 am

pacobird wrote:Thad, I think back a lot on that road trip from Flagstaff to San Diego. I have a hard time reminiscing about that time in my life because I consider that version of me to be so unbearable now, but I remember talking about something I had done a few weeks prior that in retrospect I should not have, and you said something so simple and obvious it's stuck with me a lot more than whatever rationalizations I'd cooked up for it: that you wouldn't have wanted anybody to do that to you.

The point is not that I needed to be told about the Golden Rule, but that there are people out there, like you, who take the sort of casual cruelty I accepted those days - and seems to be all over the place now - as so self-evidently wrong. Everybody knows it's a bad look, but I forget that all the time; you never do.

I remember that conversation. I don't remember saying that, but it sounds like something I'd say.

Funny thing is, it's the sort of thing I'd probably keep to myself today. Seems a little judgemental. But if it meant that much to you, I guess it was probably the right thing to say.

And if I'd had a clear idea of the relative positions of Flagstaff, Tucson, and San Diego, I sure as hell wouldn't have asked you to come pick me up in Flagstaff; good Lord. I'd have figured out a way down to Tucson and we could have gone from there. But I appreciate you doing it and it was a fun damn trip.

You were a full decade ahead of the rest of us on politics - full marks for that, by the way - and as I get caught up I find it really easy to slip into the kind of despair I ways always afraid I would if I saw things the way you did back around 2004 or so. But here you are, still being Thad while a generation slides into nihilism! I know this sounds backhanded but that is no-bones uplifting! Thank you!

Christ, and here I feel like I was a doey-eyed optimist. It's not like I bought into any of that "racism is over" bullshit; I am from the county that elected Joe Arpaio six times. But I didn't think 40% of the country was like that.

I suppose I do keep putting one foot in front of the other. The BP meds help.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:08 pm

Blossom wrote:There. Last place I hadn't done that.

I'd encourage you to change your avatar to teenage Mayim Bialik, if Mayim Bialik weren't such a horrible person.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:40 pm

I don't want to know what she turned into, do I.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:28 pm

Mongrel wrote:I don't want to know what she turned into, do I.

Antivax-adjacent. Also zionist, so kinda into genocide.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:06 pm

Tame by 2019 standards!

(please don't take this seriously)

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:11 pm

Büge wrote:

I'd encourage you to change your avatar to teenage Mayim Bialik, if Mayim Bialik weren't such a horrible person.

Yeah, gonna be a no, there.

This has been there for about a year and I'm good keeping it for now. Honestly thought somebody would pick up on it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:13 pm

Blossom wrote:
Büge wrote:

Yeah, gonna be a no, there.

This has been there for about a year and I'm good keeping it for now. Honestly thought somebody would pick up on it.

Between that and your signature, I guessed it might be the case, but I really didn't see any point in directly asking you. You'd mention it if/and when you'd mention it.

I suspect I'm probably not alone in that?

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:29 pm

Grath wrote:

She was also a Harvey Weinstein apologist, so

Blossom wrote:This has been there for about a year and I'm good keeping it for now. Honestly thought somebody would pick up on it.

I thought you were just showing solidarity (which I appreciated, by the way)!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:08 pm

Büge wrote:
Grath wrote:

She was also a Harvey Weinstein apologist, so

ew guh-ross

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:55 pm

Blossom wrote:

I did.

Friend

Postby Friend » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:52 am

I've basically been raised to be pathologically averse to making friends on the internet (STRANGER DANGER) so I've never really joined an online community unless I already knew someone there personally - I usually only lurked on forums, including here. Having said that, I do like seeing when communities come together in meaningful positive affirmation, so I'd like to add my own piece.

I've never really directly interacted with you, Friday, but I've always appreciated your posts and your work - I really enjoyed following along in The Ends thread as well back when that was happening - your writing was always funny and engaging. The vampire vs werewolf games you ran here in particular were some of the most fun I've ever had on the internet. Playing werewolf with this community is among some of my personal highlights of using the internet to interact with strangers. It's a shame to hear of Kazz's passing too - didn't know the guy personally, but I remember him being smart as a whip and funny as hell. It's hard to laugh out loud from reading straight text but I remember doing so from reading some of his posts.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu May 07, 2020 11:29 pm

Thanks, Friend. You're def on my list of people from the old days that I miss having around. And you're right, those days of VvW are some of the best days and most fun in my life, not kidding. I still go back and reread the old threads sometimes (especially 3 and 7, which are just fucking amazing) and it always brings a big smile to my face.

And yeah, Kazz was stupid funny. Like, in every sense of that phrase. An extremely rare mix of someone who had that immature, funny quality to his humor but wasn't an obnoxious little shit. Well, I mean sometimes he was. But he had a heart of gold.
ImageImageImage