(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Friday

Re: (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Postby Friday » Fri May 04, 2018 2:05 pm

The trouble is, and always has been with Japan in general, that they were on the wrong side of the war so don't (fully) see how viciously evil the Nazis really were. So they make cute anime Nazi girls and then don't understand why everyone in the west is upset about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure most Japanese people understand
1. They picked the bad guy side
2. Nazis are awful
3. Imperial Japan was also fucking awful and the only reason most people hardly understand that is that the Nazis overshadow everything (including our own ally, Stalin, who was, of course, insanely awful but picked the winning side)

But it's definitely true that Japan seems to not be quite as aware of those points as other countries. Every time I read about how the "Imperial-Right" (for lack of a better way to describe them) is a growing political power in Japan, it makes me want to throw up.

Hopefully the saner people in Japan will keep them in check where they can only draw blonde girls in SS outfits.
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri May 04, 2018 2:09 pm

It's definitely Germanic, and it's definitely WWI-WWII era look to the time period, but the nazis don't show up until pretty late in.

I was going to do a whole breakdown of the multiple false histories and whatever, but it would be so full of spoilers anyway, if you really care try reading chapter 99 of the manga. It has a lot of story and character spoilers, and it wont make total sense without contex, but I think it works well enough as a stand-alone and covers the public history, the real history, and personal philosophies of the characters about war and shit.

Again, most of the time I am not even a huge fan of the story, so I'm not trying to say it's a classic and you're all fools for questioning it. But regardless of how well its told, *image of nazi police raping a child with "imperialism is bad" flying over the head of a nerd saying "wow, cool nazis"*.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed May 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction is a really, really, really, really great slice of life / coming of age / not actually coming of age but still aging story that turns an alien invasion into possibly the greatest literary device in any story I've ever read.

It's hard to describe it too much in a recommendation, specifically because the things that happen aren't the story. The best way I can put my interest in the series into words is to say that the most recent chapter revealed that the main characters do actually have a connection to the events surrounding them, and that has been the most disappointing development yet.

also warning: like I Am A Hero, the scanslators really like using the 4chan "-fag" in place of DQN and similar 2chan term.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri May 11, 2018 5:53 pm

My Hero Academia artists take golden week off, still release the weekly chapter.

So we end up with a chapter whose entire content is 'flashy visuals' that isn't even mostly inked.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 13, 2018 1:49 pm

So a buddy of mine was talking about Lupin III and that reminded me...

Lupin is great and a classic I enjoy a lot, but I've only ever watched it in fragments, with an episode here or there (and Castle of Coglisotro, but everyone's seen that).

If I really wanted to watch it comprehensively, should I watch the best series first, in order of decreasing quality (obviously stopping if I don't like it at any point), and in which case what order is recommended, OR, should I just watch the series in chronological order?

Alternately, is there actually some specific recommended order?

Geo would probably have a pretty good opinion here, but he's not exactly posting much. I'm sure some of you also have good suggestions/info too.

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon May 14, 2018 6:40 pm

I've generally heard that you'll just pretty much want to jump into Part 2, the 150+ episode run from the late 70s and early 80s. I think that's where the bulk of nostalgia for the series comes from; that being said, I've also heard really good things about The Woman Called Fujiko Mine if you want something a little more short and finite in the universe, but of a slightly different tone than the rest, and I think folks were pretty positive on Part 4 that aired a few years ago? It's 24 episodes, and from what I've heard, it kinda brings the various tones and styles together into one umbrella.

This is a lot of second hand suggestion I admit, as I've honestly just dipped in and out of Lupin over the years. The movies are usually not the best Lupin has to offer, but are usually a decent enough time all the same -- I remember liking Mystery of Mamo quite a bit.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri May 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Okay, started watching Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory, and it is the most generic-ass anime horseshit imaginable.

I keep watching these goddamn things because there's a part of me desperately hoping they'll get back to Fumoffu again. I'm trying to force myself to lose faith in that, but I can't. I want Fumoffu 2 too bad.

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon May 21, 2018 6:00 pm

whoever it was on my twitter timeline that called kakegurui (STREAMING NOW ON NETFLIX!!!) horny gay gamble trash was absolutely right

and i love it

put this stupid garbage directly into my veins, i need more tiddymonsters turning into orgasmodemons over goddamn concentration.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:26 pm

Catching up on One Piece and spotted the darkest moment in the story so far as a single panel in the corner of a reaction montage.

The image image doesn't have any specific spoilers (you would need to have very specific world knowledge of the series and be very behind in the story to notice and care about them) and isn't directly NSFW, but it feels trigger warning-worthy.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:52 am

Goblin Slayer doesn't have a long run behind it yet, but it lives up to the hype.

It's a dark fantasy adventure that doesn't try for more than the title implies. The beginning has a serious issue with sexualized rape, but that seems to have tapered off completely after the first two chapters. Not the sexual abuse, just the hentai way in which it's presented.

The writing is good, dialogue is consistent with characters, and there's some great wordplay even through translations. One of the best moments so far is running into a Beholder and referring to it as "one of those ancient beasts whose name should not be spoken" ("fine, 'giant eyeball' will suffice").

So if you like dumb adventurers dying and less dumb ones not, give it a read.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:23 pm

Yeah it's super rapey and maybe isn't for everyone. Its still okay despite that, but it's still gotta contend with that. If you were going to choose a super dark and edgy story with the same problem you could just read Berserk, a manga that at least names its characters.

At the same time though I still like Goblin Slayer for how dumb it is so who am I to talk. I haven't watched the first episode yet but I will eventually.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:56 am

What's weird about Goblin Slayer is that the rape is 1) A plot element, sort of and 2) Something that keeps happening in what's otherwise an RPG One Punch Man.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:22 pm

sir i know dark schneider and sir you are no dark schneider

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:19 am

So despite always avoid side stories because I assumed they will always be shit, I'm still hot enough for Goblin Slayer that I gave the two options a try when I saw that they were being lead by the actual creator and not assistants.

Goblin Slayer: Brand New Day is the typical terrible fan service you expect from Gaidens. I got three chapters in and it's nameless characters each chapter doing bullshit comic relief in between getting stroked off by the "named" characters in really poorly written encounters. What little dungeon crawling there is feels like an entirely different universe. Two brand-new rookies in the sewers find out they're less prepared then they realized, then find the corpse of another porcelain and learn that even on the easy missions you need to be careful. Cut to them not being careful, ending up in essentially the same situation the main cast just got through in the most recent chapters, but instead of a group of experienced adventurers fighting for their lives to barely scrape by, they just forehead-sweatdrop their way to safety.

Goblin Slayer: Year 1 is wholly offensive in a much different way. The first chapter introduces us to the most scaring experience in our protagonist's life complete with torogao faces. The second chapter has more casual rape that's a little less sexy but still pretty divorced from the plot. Oh, and wouldn't you know it, GS joined the adventurer's guild the same day as spear guy! and immediately got the receptionist's attention when she was also new to the position! And in his first request for gear gains some level of respect from the blacksmith! And then he has every experience necessary to explain his current-day tendencies on his very first adventure, which he completes nearly flawlessly despite unpreparedness on his part and sustaining wounds that he himself explains are mortal in his first few lines of the entire franchise.

Basically, unless T&A is your main reason for enjoying the main story, avoid these.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:59 am

Rereading Death Note and oooooohhhhhh boy is this just as terrible as I didn't remember. I mean, it's not horrible, but the twists and reveals are so lame it hurts. It seemed a lot better thought out when I was 15 for some reason. Anyway it's still not entirely unreadable, and is making decent fodder while I look for something new to catch my attention. But if you're someone who at any point thought about how the Netflix series wasn't nearly as cerebral as the original, weellll, maybe it was just different, not worse.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:27 pm

Uzumaki is a really interesting prequel to Gurren Lagann, but the series makes a lot more sense with that context.

Anyway, obviously it's good. It's not incredible, Junji Ito is definitely at his best sticking to short stories, but the moments where it reads more like episodic stories on a timeline are as good as anything else he's done. The best chapters really feel like he forgot he didn't want to keep writing the same story, and the last chapter is a joke. "What do you mean we need to get another trade paperback out of this? Fine, give me a week."

The first few chapters really front load the body horror, which can be hard to get past, but it finds a good foreboding presence that replaces most of the visceral stuff. That could also be just that it's harder to take it seriously by the end. It's a common manga trope, not a failure of this story or Ito specifically, but there is sooooooo much bullshit just being accepted by the town by the end of the story you can't really take it seriously.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:55 am

Man, hearing how Franxx ended is really depressing, seeing as how it seemed more interesting and with more potential than a lot of other recent series I've heard about. Like, I know the first two thirds is some great stuff, but I have zero desire to watch it now.

Dammit Trigger. :/

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:09 am

Is it actually worth watching? I know it blew up when it first dropped, but everything I see or read feels like "Hey, I think enough time passed to just make Eureka 7 again".

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:17 pm

Basically the ending is everything is every bad habit and lazy trope that Trigger loves and it is just 100% steaming garbage which completely retroactively destroys everything good about the series. Which sucks because it's got the best first 2/3rds of any giant mecha show since, well... Gurren Lagann.

I was thinking about watching it just until Episode 16 and then just not watching anything else (arguably it only gets REALLY bad starting with 18-19, but 17 is a cliffhanger IIRC... 16 ends with a strong mid-series victory and Zero Two just has some vague foreboding at the end of the episode), but I just can't forget the ending exists.

What really hurts is that there's an obvious ending which would have flowed naturally from the first part of the series, which is what I think a lot of viewers expected and which would probably have been really good.