Nintendo movies are going to keep being a thing so here's a thread so i can post pictures of detective pikachu

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Nintendo movies are going to keep being a thing so here's a thread so i can post pictures of detective pikachu

Postby Smiler » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:08 pm

beatbandito

Re: Nintendo movies are going to keep being a thing so here's a thread so i can post pictures of detective pikachu

Postby beatbandito » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:59 pm

The visible little hairs on Mr. Mime's head will be a hell of a thing to completely forget about until its the last image I see on my death bed.

mharr

Re: Nintendo movies are going to keep being a thing so here's a thread so i can post pictures of detective pikachu

Postby mharr » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:32 pm

It's the hands that really cement the horror of that character. Those hands have no possible wholesome purpose.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:38 pm

Mr Mime has been and will always be the greatest mistake made in the history of Pokemon

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:58 pm

where's Machamp? You know, something for the ladies

François

Postby François » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:19 am

mharr wrote:It's the hands that really cement the horror of that character. Those hands have no possible wholesome purpose.

I had an art teacher in high school with oddly knobbly fingers, not quite to this extent but enough to make me think of him immediately. The kids used to call him "the man with twenty-one glans".

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:14 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:52 pm

someone on tumblr somehow got that shit like a week ago and I was looking for it forever to clean up my shitpost

Image(I thought those mugs were binoculars)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 am

Ludicolo as a barista seems like an odd choice. I guess I'd go the obvious route and have a twitchy, jittery mon do the job, like Vigoroth or something.

Or maybe a Drowzee or Munna, for irony.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:31 pm

Jack Black seems like he's having a fun time. Mostly looks like a typical family movie

Chris Pratt's Mario voice sounds worse than if he just used his regular talking voice
signature

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:53 am

Okay, I thought over the trailer a bit, and saw some stuff on twitter, and this is my take-away:

I am hold every voice to the standard of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. On that basis I was a little disappointed in Jack Black's grit, but he certainly has the personality. Definitely a Carrey as Robotnik situation, new personality, but probably going to be the best part.

Keegan-Michael Key I do not like. It sounds like he's raising his voice a little, and then it's pitch shifted. My biggest complaint is his only two lines have the energy and delivery of a vocal Minion. That seems to be true in every other language dub I've seen so far, so it's not really Key's performance.

Luigi only get two yelps, so I am forced to assume Charlie Day sucked.

Pratt is bad. Obviously. Every dub gets a real mario voice but us, it sucks. At first I thought he didn't even do a voice, but I've realized after others insisted that he did.

Non-voice notes:
Penguins are fine, it's Illumination. Other people were sure toads would be Minions, I thought it would be those little beetle guys that were on the poster and other art. Now I'm convinced there will be like 5 kingdoms and each one will have their own little guys to play the role of the Minions.

Mario's butt DOES look bad. I wish I could find the tweet to give them credit now, but the overalls aren't right. Overalls have a little belt/stitch thing on the front, that does not go around to the back. For some reason on Mario they made that a full loop around him, making it look like he has a denim vest and jeans on, with a belt. And it's squeezing the top of his butt in more than it needs to.

But far and away what stuck out the most as why I left the trailer with a "meh" reaction, I didn't even realize it until hours later. The first full line from Mario. The last line of the trailer. "Here we come". Not fucking "Let's a-go".

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:27 pm

Did they... did they mocap Jack Black for Bowser? Because Bowser doesn't just sound like the guy, I'm getting a lot out of his facial expressions and body language, too. I mean, if Jack Black were a massive firebreathing ox-turtle.

I put a lot of Discord posts up with thoughts on the trailer, none of them actual criticisms so much as my usual shitpost stuff.
The penguins are sick and tired of having their children dropped off the side of Cool, Cool Mountain and they have militarized

At the climax, it looks like Mario is defeated and Bowser has won. The screen fades to black, then the text " MARIO x2" pops up. The scene restarts as though nothing had changed, but somehow Mario knows exactly what to do to avoid Bowser's attack this time

We're introduced to Princess Peach as she's pulling up turnips in her royal garden. A blink-and-you'll-miss-it event in the background while the camera centers on Mario and Luigi has her pull up a Mr. Saturn by accident and throw it offscreen before she's back in focus.

"Mushroom Kingdom? I can't stay in any sort of Mushroom Kingdom! An escaped gorilla has kidnapped the mayor and climbed up an unfinished skyscraper!"

Mario and Luigi are in a hurry to get to Bowser's castle, but Toad just can't keep up. Until Toad finds something nice and heavy to pick up, and carrying it lets him easily outpace the others.

Post-credits stinger has giant sword fall from the heavens and pierce Bowser's castle for the sequel hook

Luigi finally catches up with Mario, regales him of the wild adventures he had in the Waffle Kingdom

Mario goes into the sewer at the start of the film, is overrun by killer turtles, creepy crabs, fighter flies, jeepers yipes! and ends up ducking down a pipe that dumps him into the mushroom forest seen in the trailer
none of this ever comes up again

beatbandito wrote:Mario's butt DOES look bad.

Someone else came up with "Dear Mario, Please come to the castle. I have taken cake from you." and I am angry at how good a joke that is.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:39 pm

bowser is sick as hell and jack black's bowser looks sick as hell that's honestly all i need