The Circle of Jerks Ride Again!

mharr

Re: The Circle of Jerks Ride Again!

Postby mharr » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:42 pm

Okay, big if true: Allegedly the working binary files used by the SCORE server are out in the wild, so whatever happens next Paragon City is secure. https://old.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/c ... n_the_wild

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:54 pm

The binaries are definitely out there, but it doesn't seem as perfect as that thread seems to imply. Right now Leo is the only one who can really put together an I25 server. Both discords' coders are working towards getting I24 stable releases. These I24 releases are what will become the "server in a box" that basically anyone can pick up and play with. Once that's sorted out and they have a stable server up for the general users, they can start working on implementing I25 more directly.

This is just based off listening to coders and admins in both discords, I haven't touched any files outside of Tequila.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:47 pm

By the way, a server has been up for a while again, and the same instructions from the last page work. In fact, you need to do it all even if you were on the first server.

Also, I25 binaries are locked. One discord seems to be working towards more practical servers (they have a I25-in-a-box out there now) and may stick to I24, the other seems to maybe be going for both I24 and I25 as shards on one server. Either way, you can play again right now and the character may not be wiped.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:04 pm

I'm wondering if costume pieces for Champions will end up being ported back eventually. They're stored in 'hogg' format. Looking at the CoH designer it doesn't seem that Fricken the laser shark would be feasible yet.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue May 21, 2019 4:37 pm

If anyone hasn't been keeping up with this, there are a couple small communities with bad ideas for servers, and the Homecoming community has five large servers running strong, with a steady player base of ~8k people online most nights. Things are stable, moderated, and a solid place to play.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue May 28, 2019 12:10 am

Finally got around to trying to set it up. Haven't been able to get it working with WINE yet; decided to try upgrading OpenSUSE to version 15.1, which just came out. We'll see how that goes.

ETA: No luck. Still getting an error trying to install .NET. "wine-1.3.22 or later required to install dotnet20sp1 properly", which doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense since I'm running WINE 3.7. Guess I'll look deeper when I have time.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu May 30, 2019 4:38 pm

Could hop in the #setup-install-help channel on the Homecoming discord and ask for advice on setup.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Finally got the thing up and running (there is a Lutris installer and apparently has been for a few months; it didn't install .NET 3.5 correctly so I had to do it manually, but it seems to be working after that).

I popped into the Discord to find nobody's actually said anything there in the past four months. Is anybody still playing? What server?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:23 pm

I haven't loaded it up since several months before that several-month-old message, but just updated quick and jumped in to see our characters, SG, base, and the hole I made in it are all just as we left them on Everlasting (the ERP server, natch).

I would certainly be down to at least get back on for some taskforces when you get back up to that level, or roll another lowbie if there were a few people. Mainly Shadowbutt brought about half the group back to FFXIV after we had all made decent endgame progress on our mains and there wasn't much of a foundation to keep anyone around. Nothing about the state of the game though.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Yeah, when I spent a whole weekend playing this back in the summer, my hand had an arthritic inflammation. WASD and number row just isn't in the cards for me. Also, the new FF14 expansion came out shortly after, and I can play that with a controller

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:46 pm

Bummer. Good luck with that.