Sometimes Science is More Art than Science, Morty

Thad

Re: Sometimes Science is More Art than Science, Morty

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:00 pm

I'm not sure what the deal is with the Pickle Rick comic, but it seems like it's probably an adaptation of an earlier draft of the script for the TV episode. It starts out the same, but takes a different turn once Pickle Rick gets to the corporate office: in this version, the corporation is run by Snowball, and we actually see Jaguar's daughter (who hasn't actually been kidnapped, she's just got an entry-level secretarial job and Jaguar thinks she's being exploited)..

It's not as good as the TV episode, but assuming it is an earlier draft, it's a fascinating look at how stripping a script down can make it much better. Pickle Rick was already a masterclass in relying on tropes and letting the audience fill in the blanks; it's even more impressive looking at the process behind it and seeing that the script itself got whittled down to those bare essentials.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:18 pm

So apparently they got Elon Musk on the latest episode as a guest star?

Guess I didn't need to watch the show after all.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:43 pm

clearly you are a pedophile then
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:58 pm

You mean you wouldn't be interested in THE BEST VIDEO ON YOUTUBE?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:14 pm

Pretty sure The McSzechuan Sauce Incident already confirmed that it wasn't a show "for me".

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:37 pm

Why would they put an amoral self-proclaimed supergenius with an obvious substance abuse problem in a cartoon?

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:22 pm

Büge wrote:So apparently they got Elon Musk on the latest episode as a guest star?

Guess I didn't need to watch the show after all.

I thought it was fantastic. I mentioned before that last season's Pickle Rick was a masterclass in relying on the audience's familiarity with tropes to tell a story in shorthand. One Crew over the Crewcoo's Morty wasn't quite as good, but it drew from that same well and did it effectively.

Elon Tusk was fine. It wasn't the fawning depiction The Simpsons gave him a few years back; they didn't really twist the knife, but they did have a few pointed words about Elon's ego (and his conspiracy theories about AI). I didn't realize they'd actually gotten Elon Musk to do the voice until I saw the credits; either he's a better sport than I thought he was, or he didn't realize they were making fun of him.

Mongrel wrote:Pretty sure The McSzechuan Sauce Incident already confirmed that it wasn't a show "for me".

It's not really fair to blame the show for the behavior of shitty fans. Indeed, this year's premier took pretty solid aim at nazis and misogynists. Roiland and Harmon have made it pretty clear that they're horrified by the toxic elements in their fandom.

I like video games and comic books. If I were to swear off everything with a toxic fandom, I'd have to find some new hobbies. And I expect I'd be looking for a long time. Like, I'd decide I was going to learn cross-stitch, but then I'd find out about Crossstitchgate.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:17 pm

Nah, to me the toxic fan stuff was just more emblematic of the show itself; I can make the distinction, but some things in particular attract more toxic people than others, you know? Shows which feature irredeemably awful people as stars seem to be especially bad for this; all of us here know that there's no shortage of idiots who will always conflate "protagonist" with "hero".

I've mentioned before that I just can't watch shows like that anymore, no matter how well-written the character might be (and Rick is certainly no Heisenberg) or the intentions of the creators. I get my fill of horrible people in the morning news, or in any number of other ways, all day, every day. I have no desire to explore fictional versions of them when I want to sit back and enjoy myself.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:50 am

Thad wrote:Like, I'd decide I was going to learn cross-stitch, but then I'd find out about Crossstitchgate.

There was a big controversy in the Knitting community over Ravelry (the main social network, also big marketplace, for knitting/crocheting) banning people supporting Trump given the whole white supremacy stuff.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:42 am

Also, Roiland has a new show coming:

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:50 am

solar opposites feels like what happens when a network, say, waits an absurdly long time to give you the go ahead for more episodes on your hit show and thus gives you time to pitch around to other networks who want the same thing with the serial numbers filed off so that you have a plan b but then oops, the first network just renewed you for 10 more seasons of your hit show after all.

but if seth mcfarlane can have three identical shows there's no reason justin roilland can't try to bite for that apple too.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:05 pm

I'll not have you speak that way of American Dad!

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:24 pm

American Dad is the best thing Family Guy currently has going for it. We could only the same of this generic animated family sitcom.

As much as I dislike Dan Harmon, I think he's a great producer/director because of his autistic adherence to the hero's journey and willingness to abuse his much funnier writer friends. It's a magic you don't see much from other people as consistently.

Meanwhile all I know about Justin Roland is some The Animation Show style shorts and doing meme reviews with pewdiepie and Elon Musk so... There's that.