We've Heard This Story Before - Let's Play Final Fantasy Tactics!

nosimpleway

Re: We've Heard This Story Before - Let's Play Final Fantasy Tactics!

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:56 am

I...

I...

Uh...

Wiegraf's sprite is also messed up, but I can verify that in battle he is very much not dead unless I go through some effort to make him that way.

In fact, it seems only right that any further enemy-Wiegrafs that crystallize get eaten by the Wiegraf who asked to join up.

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

So, uh...

Yeah. They look like a sorceress on the status screen, but I now have two functional White Knights in my party. I've got Ramza, of course, and Bracamarte and Wanda and Grist and Agrias, then Wiegraf, then Zweigraf.

And that's too many people.

As happened in the first run, I'm going to kick someone out of the group, and by "kick someone out of the group" I mean "intentionally kill and cannibalize my own troops".

But who? Polling is open until it isn't.

Angry Beaver

Postby Angry Beaver » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Wiegraf, Zweigraf, Dreigraf, Viergraf, Funfgraf, and (the lady's favorite) Sechsgraf.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:48 pm

illegal to ditch agrias

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:36 pm

RUMBLE CHAOS CRASHDOWN part 12

Two things were clear from the poll. One is that Adding Wiegraf Is Cool, But One Wiegraf Is Enough.

Then I had to grind a little bit to unlock all the jobs for Wiegraf. I'm pretty sure you can't inherit skills for a job you can't yet jobchange into when you pick up the crystal.

I'm doing this on the usual cliffside because Ramza is Degenerator-dancing while this is going on. Everyone else will get a turn shortly.

This isn't Wiegraf training, this is Wanda trying to Throw Stone at Agrias to wake her up from magically-induced sleep. Wanda, my primary spellcaster, cannot for the life of her figure out how to make a rock fall straight toward the ground.

Rafa has started showing up in fights on the cliffside. She's often the enemy left for last, being the least threatening thing on the map compared to pretty much anything else. That means she's freshly fallen and not crystallized at the battle's end, and offers to join each time.

I think my feelings on Rafa are adequately expressed, and need not elucidate what happens to these potential party members.

The other thing the poll made clear: If anyone is redundant in my army, it's Bracamarte. Presumably between Wanda and Agrias I had all the ladies in my army I needed, to prevent having the clam-jam my last run turned into.

So...

Goodbye Bracamarte, my dear little coffee cup. Your efforts are appreciated, and your work is done.

(You know, I made her a Mime just for the novelty, but uh... now it looks like she's wearing a hood to her own execution...)

Ready?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:39 pm

He got Teleport 2, which was the one I was actually kind of worried might not be available to inherit at all. Nope, right there it is!

Wiegraf immediately puts his new training to good use. He couldn't do that at the start of this battle!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:30 pm

The upside of Riovanes castle being guarded by a bunch of Ninja is that they take Rafa out of the fight almost immediately and I don't have to listen to her yammer and Ramza and Malak for what seems like forever.

The downside is that Ninja are probably the most threatening job I can be up against, and all of them are faster than any of my guys, so there's neither dillying nor dallying in taking them out.

Wanda, having mastered White Mage, Black Mage, Time Mage, Oracle, and Arithmetician, tops off some of the skill lists for jobs she's nearly mastered and nearly never been in. In the meantime she gets to cleave this guy right in two with Chirijiraden.

The battle's half over, with three or four Ninja dead, and this Dancer hasn't gotten to move yet.

Oh, please. Taking out my party with Wiznaibus would take even longer than taking out Ultima with Wiznaibus. Ultima can't heal, after all.

Wanda is the only person who hasn't mastered Ninja, but she's a little closer by the time I'm done at the gates.

Last run was "Here ya go, Holy Lance, one of the best weapons in the game, bet you can really blow through the earlygame with this!" This time I've gotten some cool stuff, but not by way of lances. This free Ovberlisthk is a step up from the Mithril Spear Grist is carrying.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:42 pm

"Draw your sword, motherfucker."

Time Magic, huh? Easier to handle than Elemental, for sure.

This is what happens when you don't completely bullshit the Wiegraf fight. First, you can't get any Limits to land, because there are only two people taking actions and the charge time doesn't quiiiiite line up. Remember, Non-Charge is a part of the generic Squire class, and Ramza can't learn it.

Hey, Gravija is on the Black Magic list this game, not Time Magic! Where did you get that?

Ramza's MA is absurdly high. The Wiegraf on my side brought a Rune Blade with him, and Ramza's got that, +2 MA. I picked up a Flash Hat somewhere, I think as an after-battle reward, so that's another +1. Ramza's in the Chameleon Robe to keep from getting obliterated by Holy Sword, but he's also wearing a Magic Gauntlet for another +2 MA. Throw in his natural MA as a White Mage and the odd-job growth he's managed up to 40, down to 20, then up to 40 again, then down to 30, and he's sitting at a frankly absurd 21 MA

So I was hoping to just oneshot Wiegraf. Unfortunately, Limit without Non-Charge is kind of terrible, and there's no way to land anything that hits harder than Braver. A Cross-Slash would have won the fight immediately if it hit.

But it doesn't, and Wiegraf lands another Gravija. Hey, what happens when you get hit for exactly half your HP... twice?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:49 pm

Well, if that's how it is...

Step 1:

Make Wiegraf Gravija himself.

Step 2:

GET WRECKED

Belias opens the fight by summoning the most foul, corrupt demon he can find in the depths of hell... three copies of Ramza's sister.

I mean... they mocked Ramza by claiming Alma had been taken to Riovanes, and here she is. Done deal, let's go home.

Ramza retreats to heal up from that first Gravija, and Belias follows.

Meaning I can take a moment to take down Alma's elder sister. Belias is bad enough, I don't want to see a Lucavi with Protect, Shell, Haste, and Regen. I don't think Reraise would do anything but still.

Appropriately, Belias just won't leave Ramza alone. I try to take some of the bite out of his magic... after all, if I can get him to try to punch somebody with those four arms, I can just Shirahidori.

Ramza manages to pull the ol' "stand right beside you so you get hit with your own spell" trick again. Belias is limited to casting Fira, which is a far sight better than what he casts in vanilla (usually the Cyclops summon).

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:55 pm

Oh yeah. The game doesn't apply auto-anything status correctly when the second stage of this battle starts. Agrias has been standing here like a lump, fully visible, because her perfume isn't working.

Rats. At least she cast it on herself.

Ramza teleports across the room to make sure that last Alma gets her money's worth out of Reraise. This is the third time Wiegraf/Belias has managed friendly fire in a single fight.

I guess that's why he relies on Cyclops in vanilla, summons automatically ignore your allies.

I learned something today: Belias does not have boss immunities to Silence. That seems like a pretty major oversight! Who playtested this game, anyway?

But my goal with Mind Break was to get him to keep casting Fira for less and less damage, not to have to fall back on his bullshit Lucavi boss monster skills. He instantly petrifies Agrias for revealing such a glaring weakness.

But the time for Mind Break is past. Now we just have to hit Belias hard enough that he explodes before Ramza crystallizes over there on the far wall.

Aw man, I couldn't have planned a better finish. Wiegraf for the KO on Belias!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:04 pm

Barrington is yought off the roof, and we proceed to the next unpleasantness.

If you don't finish this fight quickly, Rafa is utterly unable to withstand the attacks from Elmdor and his assassin assistants. See here, where on the first turn Elmdor chucks a pole into Rafa's face.

(dramatization)

Ramza starts chanting a spell, and obligingly stands with his back toward Celia and Lede, hoping to offer a more tempting target than "end the battle instantly".

Apparently Agrias was a bigger priority for the AI. I don't get it either. Wiegraf pops in for some punishment.

And as the other assassin tries to get the drop on Rafa, Wanda shoots her with a lightning bullet.

All right, chapter 4, let's wrap this up.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:08 pm

RUMBLE CHAOS CRASHDOWN part 13

This time I'm going to do some extra sidequests and see what I can get.

Uh... what enemies?

(They are v sneaky)

Beowulf's skill list. Aha, there's Speed Break! B was one Solution away from mastering Mediator, so I gave that to him.

Ugh, you thought six Chemists was bad? Well, it is, that's totally justified. Six Time Mages isn't worse in that it's more threatening, but it's definitely more annoying and time-consuming.

However...

It would appear that Ramza's super-Squire doesn't get Scream in this seed, but does get Ultima for free.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:13 pm

The next level down in this abandoned, monster-infested coal mine is on the lawn of a stately manor.

This Chemist still has his ice-elemental gun from vanilla, so I take it.

When deploying foes for the heroes to battle, put the giant lumbering monsters on the ground and the archers and gunners on the roof. It works better that way.

They all obligingly line up in a corner...

Where Wiegraf teleports in and bottlenecks the whole group. He's too close to the Archer for the Archer to shoot him, and the Behemoths can't get anyone because the Archer and Wiegraf are in the way.

So there's still the odd arrow falling from the roof onto the ground, but that's all I have to worry about.

In vanilla this fight has Dragons in it, so I went ahead and brought Poach.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:16 pm

The next level down in this stately, monster-infested, abandoned mansion mine is Duke Larg's throne room.

Time Mages are still really annoying without being dangerous.

The Behemoths are still nonthreatening overall, because their fangs and horns can be Shirahidori'ed. Beowulf doesn't have that luxury, though...

It's all Time Mages, annoying but not dangerous, and Behemoths, normally dangerous but they can't harm anyone on my team. So...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:25 pm

The next level down from Duke Larg's throne room is this monster-infested, abandoned coal mine.

Boy am I glad Reis spawned close to my half of the field, rather than where she normally does. There's not much that can stand up to the Work skills of three Iron Giants all at once.

It's not like any of the humans can, either, so let's get those Giants squared away before they--

-- do that.

Reis climbed up into the corridor in the middle, and did a little hop/cheer sort of thing when she got where she was going. I don't know what she did, maybe threw a stone or something? I can't imagine the game has an animation for a dragon throwing a rock.

Just keep on pummelin'. Steel Giants take less damage from physical attacks, since they're like 40% armor plating. They also have 0 Faith, so they're immune to magic that takes Faith into account.

So abilities that are based on magic but not Faith, like Limit skills, are the way to go.

Holy Sword works pretty good, too, but Agrias was too close when the Giant got a turn, and got THIS IS A DRILL in return.

It's a plink with an arrow that wins the fight,

...and rewards me with my own Steel Giant. And Temple Knight. And Dragonkin.

I could take Worker 8 with me, but I'm certain I'd never use him. He's too damn slow both in initiative count and Move speed, and can't learn how to flawlessly teleport like everyone else.

Beowulf or Reis, I haven't decided yet. I'll keep them around because their sidequest isn't over, but I don't know if I'll use them either. Mostly because I always use Beowulf and Reis in a vanilla run... Partly because I'd have to grind up to unlock jobs for them and have them eat Grist and Wanda. And that would just take a long time.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:03 pm

RUMBLE CHAOS CRASHDOWN, part 14

I didn't realize that my daughter's keysmashing when she got up to my PC earlier closed down my screenshot program, so I only noticed I wasn't getting images until about halfway through the Doguola Pass Goug Slums battle.

But it's a filler battle, and the only thing interesting about it is this Samurai.

He's got a katana that I can't get in shops yet, and a helmet I probably can't get in shops at all. (Any actual Samurai on my team uses Chirijiraden as an equip, but Kikuichimonji still has a Bushido technique I need the actual sword to use.)

Rats.

Oh well.

Meliadoul at Bervenia still has Defender, still has Setiemson, and still has Maintenance to keep me from getting either one from her.

Grist and Agrias make short work of her. Enemies with invisibility are still visible to the player, and can still be targeted if you swing a sword into their space. Might as well have given Meliadoul Excalibur for the auto-haste, and something better in her accessory slot.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:07 pm

"Everybody be careful, the river's real deep."

Agrias: *furious muffled speech and bubbling*

The last enemy on the map capable of hitting me with something that strikes through Shirahidori, and the dumb idiot flies into a Sleep trap.

And Zeltennia is no problem because Zalmo starts, like, right there. Grist takes care of him before anyone else gets to move.

I swing through Dorter on my way to Bed Desert and discover that some of those birdies at the river turned into the helmet I was coveting in the Doguola Slums fight. That was nice of them.

I'm starting to suspect that some of these battles have the enemy's equipment set to something specific, rather than randomized.

Ho hum, dee dah...

Balk? Uh, Balk? Where'd you go? Balk zipped out of the sky from his Jump attack, got Shirahidori'ed by Wanda, and then... vanished.

He's truly mastered the Ignore Height move ability, having turned it into Ignore Gravity Completely. Grist zips fifty feet into the air to try to swipe Balk's Rubber Costume, but comes down empty-handed.

There it is. Guess we're done.

See what I mean when I say training up Beowulf and Reis would take too long? I'm just blowing through these fights since I don't really worry about training anyone up anymore.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:12 pm

Bethla Garrison: The Other Map

cut

slice

chop

hack

Oh, nice. That's the best armor available in shops (more or less), but isn't available yet.

We're gonna zip past the Sluice Gate fight, for reasons I'll explain shortly.

Father, I am disappoint.

Usually this is where you get the juggernaut that is the "Thunder God", with the knightsword he carries as proof of his rank. Here he's equipped with... well, a bunch of useless crap, frankly.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:17 pm

"It's getting late and I've got to get up early tomorrow, I'll just do the cutscene with Totally-Not-Aeristh in Zharghidas and go to bed.

Except...

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

If this is going to be another "maybe get some good free stuff and just a shitton of free skills", there's not really much reason to take Ramza anymore. Beowulf can try to catch up, and we'll see whether it's worthwhile to finish the job.

wait a sec...

That's not a million Zalmos. I can't learn anything from monsters, Blue Mage isn't a job until the GBA pseudosequel!

The map is a neat effect, it's four rooms connected by doors, and when you rotate the camera all the rooms but one flip out of sight. It's pretty crowded with one map broken into four smaller minimaps, though, and I assume there's nothing stopping you from using long-range magic like Meteor or Earth Slash or Kikuichimonji to hit into rooms you're not in.

But this isn't for learning skills. This is a free poaching map. And I brought a guy who doesn't know how to poach yet.

I'd like to see what prizes I can get from this, for the novelty if nothing else, and reset the game. That was when I realized I hadn't saved after the Bethla Garrison Sluice, and would have to do that part over again.

So, next time:

The Bethla Garrison Sluice Gate
followed by
Poaching!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:47 am

RUMBLE CHAOS CRASHDOWN, part 15

I had a Guest the first time I did the Sluice Gate, too. She still had a Ribbon, so I kept her alive in hopes of having her join, give me her hairpiece, and leave. Now I know she doesn't offer to join the party, so she's on the hit list too.

Tra la la

Once I have the enemies more or less contained, it's time to start breaking our Guest's equipment that isn't her Ribbon. If she drops a treasure chest when she dies, I don't want it to have a bolt of Cashmere in it.

The waiting begins.

Nearly everyone I killed before that Dancer drops a treasure chest. It's pretty annoying, considering the long list of skills Grist and Agrias picked up the first time around.

"Agrias would you like some free abilities?"
"Yes please, I'd like to get at least five."
"Here, you go, 5."
"Um."

The Dancer I want to turn into a treasure chest turns into a crystal instead. A crystal that doesn't even teach anything.

Heck this map

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:55 am

Orlandu comes in with a different non-Excalibur sword.

I was starting to wonder where those skills went. Ramza actually shed Yell/Tailwind on the transition from chapter 3 to chapter 4.

I wonder if that means Scream can get shuffled onto a regular job that anyone can take. That would make for a pretty nice skillset just by itself.

Okay. First thing, buy everything in the Poacher's Den so I can tell what came in from the Zarghidas city map.

Second thing, to Zhargidas.

Third thing, the guy who goes to Zargidhas is the one with two endgame ninjato and a Flash Hat and Sprint Shoes.

Fourth thing, the Zargidahs map opens with the overpowered Guest -- Vormav, in this case, which is a weird flex -- killing the Red Chocobo before my Speed 13 Ninja can move. I should have brought a lady wearing Setiemson, in retrospect.

In this case I'm glad I found the spoiler file and know what monsters can drop what. I can ignore the goblins and illithidlikes and stick with the ones that might turn into something I actually want.

The results: This, a Genji Shield, and another Grand Helm.

I could have gotten another Venetian Shield, a Robe of Lords, or Ragnarok. A shame.