"Coronavirus" is the category, dangit. (COVID-19 thread)

Thad

Re: "Coronavirus" is the category, dangit. (COVID-19 thread)

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:50 am

The Guardian wrote:After the Gohmert news broke, the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, announced she would require all House members and aides to wear mask. “Members and staff will be required to wear masks at all times in the hall of the House,” Pelosi said.

Great job, Nancy; good hustle out there.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:21 pm

“Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population. That’s where the U.S. is really bad. Much worse than South Korea, Germany, etc.”

“You can’t do that.”
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:41 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:11 am

CDC now says people without COVID-19 symptoms do not need testing.

The festering will continue until health improves.

Would you like a nice, fresh dung poultice?

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:54 am

Fauci came out from being in surgery under general anesthesia and said "I was under general anesthesia in the operating room and was not part of any discussion or deliberation regarding the new testing recommendations. I am concerned about the interpretation of these recommendations and worried it will give people the incorrect assumption that asymptomatic spread is not of great concern. In fact it is."

and then Newsom, the governor of my great state of California, replied to the CDC tweet with "lol not here."

You can't make this shit up.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:57 am

anyway, all you other Americans are welcome to move here when California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii decide to get annexed by Canada after Trump wins 2020.
ImageImageImage

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:47 pm

Yo we're not supposed to talk about that yet.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Consensus seems to be moving away from the idea that surfaces are a likely vector for spreading COVID-19. Derek Thompson's article Hygiene Theater Is a Huge Waste of Time is needlessly smug but the data he cites seem sound; the frequently-cited studies of how long SARS can survive on surfaces are based on laboratory conditions that don't reflect likely real-world scenarios.

But in a July article in the medical journal The Lancet, [microbiology professor Emanuel] Goldman excoriated those conclusions. All those studies that made COVID-19 seem likely to live for days on metal and paper bags were based on unrealistically strong concentrations of the virus. As he explained to me, as many as 100 people would need to sneeze on the same area of a table to mimic some of their experimental conditions. The studies “stacked the deck to get a result that bears no resemblance to the real world," Goldman said.

The latest from my doctor largely corroborates that interpretation. Here's what he said:

It's okay to go to the grocery store, but wear a mask and stay away from anyone who isn't wearing one.

It's okay to visit family, provided they've been exercising proper caution. It's okay to go in their house, provided everyone is wearing a mask. Staying six feet apart is not as important as everybody wearing a mask.

It's okay to go swimming with other people (he was talking about a backyard pool at a family member's home with just a few other people, not a public pool).

That's it for what the doctor said; this is me talking again.

All that advice is consistent with the notion that the major vector for spread is droplets in the air, not lingering viral contagion from surfaces. You should still wash your hands and avoid touching your face, but the most important thing is if you're going anywhere where there are going to be other people, wear a mask, and stay away from people who aren't.

There's an argument that you can't be too careful, and if you want to stay in your house, only get groceries delivered, and wipe them down before you bring them in the house, that's probably not going to do any harm. Me, I've got high blood pressure and thinking about this stuff makes me anxious, and I also live in a place that's been setting records for highest number of days over 110 degrees, so on balance I think I'm at greater health risk standing outside and wiping down groceries, or just worrying about whether I should be doing it, than I am at just not doing it. (Wash your produce before you eat it, though; all the usual food preparation sanitation rules still apply.)

It's still best to avoid large groups of people, and especially large groups of people where you can't be sure they're going to keep their damn masks on. And if you can do everything you need to do from home, it's not a bad idea.

But stress isn't good for you either. And I think it's probably been good for me to readjust the things I'm worried about. Worrying about the right things can keep you safe, but worrying about the wrong things doesn't help and may actually be bad for your health.

I haven't left the house in nearly three months except to get my allergy shots and to walk the dog around the neighborhood. I'm thinking it might be good for me to relax that a little bit. Tomorrow it's only supposed to be 105 out; I'm thinking about going downtown to the comic shop, the farmers' market, and the liquor store.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:35 pm

Time for QAnon to get its own thread?

<Wabbajackrabbit> another successful american cultural export, brings a tear to the eye

This isn't new either. A QAnon loon killed nine people in Germany a few months back.

atog

Postby atog » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:26 pm

QAnon is likely the product of Russian propagandists. Ergo, Merkel's Germany becomes a high-value target for purple Kool-Aid.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:48 pm

Turns out the guy that currently runs 8chan also owns the two websites that allegedly "authenticate" the identity and validity of Q.

So yeah, the guy that draws piles of popularity to 8chan was probably the guy that currently runs 8chan all along.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:08 pm

atog wrote:QAnon is likely the product of Russian propagandists. Ergo, Merkel's Germany becomes a high-value target for purple Kool-Aid.

oh please be smarter than to place everything at Russia's doorstep

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:18 am

QAnon is likely a natural event in the sense that something would inevitably evolve into the sanity vacuum created by turning the mainstream internet into a machine learning advertising engine, and boosted by the sudden influx of newbies from the 2020 lockdown, but the KGB encouraging the growth of far right conspiracies to destabilize their opponents has to be part of that equation.

The study of human history is essentially a branch of epidemiology.

Random aside, I think my 'favorite' detail of this global brain fart is their belief in adrenochrome harvesting. The drug story Hunter Thompson made up as an absurdist parody of Nancy Reagan's dumbest dark fantasies. Like, his books are still in print guys.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:16 pm

Yeah, I don't think the Russian propaganda machine created the QAnon conspiracy theory, but I find it easy to believe they've exploited and amplified it. Exploiting political fault lines is what they do.

And I think a lot of this shit is probably just the result of trolls making shit up for the lulz. That adrenochrome thing sure sounds like the result of someone intentionally making up a conspiracy theory to throw on the pile and the Q believers taking it seriously. And I read somewhere that pattern analysis on some of the Q "codes" was consistent with somebody just repeatedly mashing their fingers on the home row.

But Poe's Law/Rule of Goats applies. It's not really worth putting too much energy into teasing out the difference between a Q true believer and someone who's just spreading dangerous bullshit ironically.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:34 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Goddamn.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:47 pm

Given their population density, it's a testament to the effectiveness of their response that we didn't start seeing these numbers months ago.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:04 pm

yeah I was really worried about India specifically, moreso than pretty much anywhere else, and I was relieved when their response seemed to have it under control

I really hope they can get it under control again because they are the fucking black hole of pandemics
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:13 pm

Also, with China literally using India's current weakness to start an undeclared war for Indian territory, this is only gonna fuel Covid conspiracy theories further.

(The CCP and PLA are scum, but being scum doesn't mean you're stupid enough to purposefully unleash a global plague directly traceable to you.)