Let's play World of Horror, because that's a welcome change from reality I guess

François

Let's play World of Horror, because that's a welcome change from reality I guess

Postby François » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:23 am

Hot dang, I'm really doing this. Not only is this neither a JRPG nor a screenshot LP, it's a game I've never played in a genre that I don't (usually) even enjoy. How's that for leaping out of my comfort zone?

Anyway, World of Horror, weird retro-looking cosmic-horror-mystery-solving sort-of roguelite, deeply inspired by horror maestro Junji Ito's works; it's literally drawn in MSPaint and that's straight-up incredible. This is the tutorial adventure. Enjoy, if you dare.

I mean the "if you dare" part. Content warning: body horror, jump scares. I know I'm only able to do this because I can pretend I'm talking to someone while I do it. But I'm a notorious wuss. Expect individual-to-individual mileage variation.

I've literally never spoken this much English at once in my entire life, or this much of any language in like 15 years, and you can witness my diction degrading in real time as my stress level increases, but heck, first time, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I've heard people say my voice is agreeable and my accent charming; let's hope it's the "twenty-four minutes in one sitting" kind of agreeable and charming.

I might even go nuts and make this series public on youtube at some point, maybe once I have a couple episodes ready. Is there no limit to my power!?

("Yes", says the scissor lady, "there is".)

Friday

Re: Let's play World of Horror, because that's a welcome change from reality I guess

Postby Friday » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:40 am

A+++

I've heard people say my voice is agreeable and my accent charming

that's the understatement of the century

but seriously top notch, I'm looking forward to new content. Park Visitor encounter got me, too. I guess we're both big wussies.

And yeah, I was yelling at you that you got the sigil drawing wrong and forgot to use cauterize to heal, haha

I believe in you, Zed. You will defeat the ghosts.

but please do not eat any more of their rancid meats.
ImageImageImage

François

Re: Let's play World of Horror, because that's a welcome change from reality I guess

Postby François » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:56 pm

How's that for leaping out of my comfort zone?

Now that I think about it, this is still "Japan is overrun by supernatural bullshit and also the end of the world is at hand", so maybe I'm not that far away from my comfort zone after all.

Friday wrote:Park Visitor encounter got me, too. I guess we're both big wussies.

Ah, right, it seems that I may have fallen in the classic rookie broadcaster trap of unintentionally insulting my audience.

I think I should focus more on how this is one of two games ever that have jump scares that don't just piss me off. I'm like "aw, you rascal, you got me!" There really must be some clever design element to that. (The other game is Eversion.)

Friday wrote:And yeah, I was yelling at you that you got the sigil drawing wrong and forgot to use cauterize to heal, haha

You gotta admit, "I died because I was too stressed out to draw an eldritch sigil correctly" is extremely on-brand for that kind of story.

Friday wrote:but please do not eat any more of their rancid meats.

but they are so ÿ̸̻͓́̊̆u̶̧̫̗̍͆̈́m̷̪̑̃͘m̵̭̼̐y̵̼̑

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:15 pm

Oh no oh no
I want to listen to François but I cannot handle the horror
what if... I listen but don't look...
no it might still get scary
maybe he'll do another horror game LP some day, like Luigi's Mansion

François

Postby François » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:10 pm

Ah, I can understand that. To be honest, what little of the game I know about mechanically, I picked up from listening to a Twitch stream while I was in another room doing the dishes; I was fascinated by what was going on but I Did Not Want To Watch. The fact that I'm actually playing it now is authentically weirding me out!

In other news, next episode is going up tonight if everything goes well. My upload speed is not super. I haven't really figured out a schedule yet; I have a feeling it might be unwise to drop 20+ minute videos every other day, so I'll probably keep it loose and digestible. Not to mention successful runs are going to be longer. I'll almost certainly chop them into parts unless there's somehow popular demand to the contrary. The structure of the game should lend itself pretty well to that anyway.

François

Postby François » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:10 am

Here's to making the best possible decision every single time, folk.

Dang, that's my terminal gamer brain syndrome on display right there. We had three options to deal with that ritual, and I was so worried about potentially failing a knowledge stat check on the two cautious "don't complete that unknown ritual, you absolute dummy" paths that I picked the only choice that was guaranteed to screw me over. I lit a candle because I was afraid of failing to pick up a book. This game's a harsh teacher, but clearly that's the only way I'll learn.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:19 pm

game: an ancient terrible creature is awakening and devouring children, while unknown creatures stalk and observe you from the shadows

also game: this shibe sells items. woof!
ImageImageImage

François

Postby François » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:21 am

Alright, once more unto the breach!

Or, well, we're not going against Cthac-Atorasu this time, so, different breach altogether, but, you get the picture. We're gettin' into a breach is all I'm sayin'.

We breachin'.

We on the breach.

Breach it yo.

Yeah I'm stalling. Let's hop on.

Man, being able to edit your own memories by literal magic sure makes it a breeze to casually murder hospital patients. "It'll feel great to forget this later!"

Friday wrote:game: an ancient terrible creature is awakening and devouring children, while unknown creatures stalk and observe you from the shadows

also game: this shibe sells items. woof!

Hey, it's not because reality is breaking down left and right that it can't break down in a pleasant manner once in a while.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:38 am

To be fair, at that point your options were "die, it eats you and also all the other patients", or "kill one patient to save yourself and the rest".

This game seems to heavily favor being prepared. Of course, until you get a handle on how things work, it's hard to do that.
ImageImageImage

François

Postby François » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:56 am

Okay, so, I know I said it already at the start of the thread, but I'm going to mention the content warning for body horror again. For reasons. Here's to punches unpulled, and three cheers for black and white!

Friday wrote:This game seems to heavily favor being prepared. Of course, until you get a handle on how things work, it's hard to do that.

Right, I'm already seeing how rewards gained from specific mysteries would come in very handy in others, so you'd choose which cases to tackle first almost like they were Megaman stages. And if you expect a tough combat encounter while you're playing a less combat-oriented character, you can put it off until later and maybe take more chances to get your hands on a strong weapon or spell in the meantime. I know I said it was sort of a roguelite at first, but you're never carrying actual mechanical bonuses from run to run (apart from a larger random item/ally pool from achievement unlocks), so any accumulating advantages come from player knowledge.

François

Postby François » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:15 pm

It ends today. Either Ath-Yolaszth gets whatever it is that it wants, or humanity somehow manages to remain beneath the towering eye's notice for a just a little while longer. And who better to make the difference than a haunted girl whose greatest asset is that she can't remember half the shit she's done?

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:55 am

Amusing that the final encounter before the end was just "some normal dude/cultist".

Congrats, you saved the world from space guy! Looking forward to your next playthrough.

RIP random forest dog, you will live on forever in our hearts.

Also, really really curious what gills and bloated did/do.

Oh my god, that eyeball stabbing scene, jesus.
ImageImageImage

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:10 am

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding the game mechanics, but wouldn't you want to mix that increase chance of hitting action and the several attacks you're doing? It obviously worked in that run, but my naive understanding is "next attack" would only benefit, well, the very next attack, so you'd be better off doing like buff/attack/buff/attack/buff/attack or buff buff/heavy attack/buff/heavy attack?

François

Postby François » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:22 am

Friday wrote:Amusing that the final encounter before the end was just "some normal dude/cultist".

I have a feeling that he's the head cultist, seeing as he's got "the ultimate opportunist" as a title, but he sure does act like he knows us more than we know him so it's a bit out of nowhere. The fact that he only does doom damage is kind of a jerk move at this point of the game, but also he's literally just trying to run down the clock so it's fitting at least.

Also, really really curious what gills and bloated did/do.

Oh I'm sure we'll find out eventually. I suspect gills might make it risky (well, riskier) to investigate the seashore.

Oh my god, that eyeball stabbing scene, jesus.

That's a neat way to call our bluff, in any case. "You really thought I wouldn't make you do it yourself, eh?"

Grath wrote:I don't know if I'm misunderstanding the game mechanics, but wouldn't you want to mix that increase chance of hitting action and the several attacks you're doing? It obviously worked in that run, but my naive understanding is "next attack" would only benefit, well, the very next attack, so you'd be better off doing like buff/attack/buff/attack/buff/attack or buff buff/heavy attack/buff/heavy attack?

Ah, well, yes, you're right. I don't know why but I had the mistaken impression that since the buff stacks, it counts for the rest of the turn, even though the help text says pretty clearly that it applies only to one attack. I'm going to blame low reason on that one, heh. Now I'm glad I don't record much in advance; the run I'm posting next will be the last one where I mess that up. Thanks for setting me straight!

François

Postby François » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:37 am

Aight, now for something completely different. Let's see if we can do this twice in a row, or if my beginner's luck is running out.

Also, well, I say it at the start of the video, but it can't hurt to mention it here too. There's an additional content warning from this point on; namely, we're investigating a suicide epidemic. It's never visually depicted, the grim stuff is text-only and doesn't get graphic or even especially detailed in its description of what happens, which is a welcome mercy frankly, but it is grim. There's no shame in keeping yourself safe if that's a Thing.

François

Postby François » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:33 pm

Can this mobster redeem his life of crime by putting himself on the line in the fight against the old ones, or will old debts catch up to him? With me in charge, it's anyone's guess!

I want to say I had a himbo moment back there, but I don't have the looks to fit. Good grief, by step 3 I had already forgotten the information I got from step 1. Here's to hoping the embarrassment will prod me to improve my technique before next time. Let no one say I do this to make myself look good.

Also, I have to recognize the quality of any game where you can say "part of why I died was that the dog who usually sells me my smokes skipped town".

François

Postby François » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:35 pm

Alright, we're long overdue for some good endings, let's get into it again. Gambler's fallacy ahoy!

I know the interface in this game can be most kindly described as "a touch cluttered" so I'm not gonna kick myself too much over it, but dang, the info was right there!

François

Postby François » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:20 am

This is such a weird situation to be in. I enjoy the game and want to play it more, in no small part because I want to get better at it faster, but I also don't want to play it "alone" or accumulate too much of a backlog. Hmm. Well, I'm not complaining. Is just weird-feelin'.

It's also weird that I say I enjoy the game, while said game just presented me with a sequence that in other circumstances would have caused me to immediately alt-f4, put on some music, turn on all the lights in my apartment, and just try to think happy thoughts for a bit. The art of the let's play helps me find heretofore unknown reserves of bravery within!

The show, as they say, must go on.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:34 am

Sorry, I have been watching (haven't caught the latest episode yet) but I got a bit behind with a flurry of other videos and a visit from a squeamish friend.

François

Postby François » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:22 am

No sweat, I know these aren't exactly bite-sized and I'm almost certainly putting them out faster than most would keep up with. At any rate, they're not going anywhere!