the big dumb game ideas megathread

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: the big dumb game ideas megathread

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:25 pm

Haha, that's literally been the background for all my Skyrim characters I played for any real amount of time.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:45 am

Procedurally generated space exploration / combat similar to No Man's Sky in gameplay and Endless Sky in world generation.

You need to kill SPACE EMPEROR but they have the equivalent of a star destroyer filled with a rather large army and full fleet. You have a shuttle.

Each planet randomly generates biomes with different types of materials, creatures, and native/colonial/migrant species. Do collecting stuff and even a little bit of that crafting the kids are all wild about in 2008, and a basic reputation system based on planets and factions to interact with other sentient species. You can raise an army, form an infiltration unit, build a superweapon or your own space fleet to take down SPACE EMPEROR.

SPACE EMPEROR's awareness of you at the start could be determined by difficulty, but they can become aware of your actions as the star destroyer patrols space and can act similarly to the player. Empire settlements and colonial loyalists will sell out your recent activities in the area, and any visible independent base or research station would be subjugated or destroyed.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:33 pm

I'm gonna make a game that's geared around being the best dad you can be.

I don't even know what kind of format I'll use for it, but I feel like a deckbuilder would be appropriate.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:49 pm

beatbandito wrote:Procedurally generated space exploration / combat similar to No Man's Sky in gameplay and Endless Sky in world generation.

You need to kill SPACE EMPEROR but they have the equivalent of a star destroyer filled with a rather large army and full fleet. You have a shuttle.

Each planet randomly generates biomes with different types of materials, creatures, and native/colonial/migrant species. Do collecting stuff and even a little bit of that crafting the kids are all wild about in 2008, and a basic reputation system based on planets and factions to interact with other sentient species. You can raise an army, form an infiltration unit, build a superweapon or your own space fleet to take down SPACE EMPEROR.

SPACE EMPEROR's awareness of you at the start could be determined by difficulty, but they can become aware of your actions as the star destroyer patrols space and can act similarly to the player. Empire settlements and colonial loyalists will sell out your recent activities in the area, and any visible independent base or research station would be subjugated or destroyed.

You might wanna check out Avorion.

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:49 pm

Now I want a modern do-over of Carrier Command

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:52 am

nosimpleway wrote:I'm gonna make a game that's geared around being the best dad you can be.

I don't even know what kind of format I'll use for it, but I feel like a deckbuilder would be appropriate.

But how much gameplay can you really squeeze out of building a porch?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:38 pm

Grath wrote:
nosimpleway wrote:I'm gonna make a game that's geared around being the best dad you can be.

But how much gameplay can you really squeeze out of building a porch?

Depends on how much your game incorporates yelling at kids.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:12 pm

It's like I'm watching the next streamerbait sensation get developed in real time.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:55 am

crafting the kids are all wild about in 2008

I'm changing my time machine answer to getting rid of this

I remember I played some indie rpg once that

instead of enemies dropping gold

they dropped random materials that clogged your inventory and required constant lego-ing

and you took those materials to town, to some smith guy, and he crafted new gear for you except you were always missing a mat or two so you had to head back out to farm the specific monster that dropped it

I don't know why people love making their own shit so much that they will not only tolerate but actively prefer systems like that to just GP, but I am going to go back to the pre-big bang quantum state and tweak it so they fucking don't anymore
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:36 pm

I wouldn't mind if crafting was ever an actual simulated system with material properties and balancing stats and visuals and you could do fuck it jobs with shitty resources when necessary, but it's only ever gating with extra steps.

Where's the sword smithing equivalent of building a LEGO monster truck in Trailmakers?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:53 am

A few months ago the thought "Project Aces Gundam Game" came into my head, and it hasn't left since.

Now I'm more generally just thinking "dark souls setting, but you're superman". A dreary, dead world. NPCs that are all ready to give up. They fight like it's a souls game, too. Rolling and getting in quick single swings. Meanwhile you're playing a musou game. Cutting through swaths of enemies that individually could take out a squad of NPCs, protecting settlements and clearing out monster dens. Roll into town where everyone is talking about the next monster attack and pointlessness of it all. Leave with them sobbing, seized in awe of a future they never even dreamed possible.

There are so many popular franchises where everyone knows the point is to exploit until you're completely OP, but I can't think of one that really makes it the central conceit, and applies it narratively.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:52 pm

PoE does that, but only in the negative sense where the game actively mocks the PC for becoming a evil megalomaniacal lunatic. Which you are, if you examine your actions at all. Notably, the game offers you no choice in this whatsoever.

It was simultaneously one of the most attractive yet repellent aspects of the game's narrative.

Superficially, the narrative is that the player is the hero of course, but someone on staff has spent a lot of time rightfully undermining this by inserting various taunting messages, because mechanically the only ability given to you is to murders vast numbers of creatures and people, in an ever-escalating bloodbath, forever. Your actions are also all committed either at someone else's behest (most of whom are actually underlined by the game as being unreliable) or because of player's own insatiable greed. Even without the taunts, you are clearly portrayed as nothing more than a tool to be used by whoever's path you might cross.

I never did figure out if that undermining was actually sanctioned and planned, or if the higher-ups just let disgusted members of the creative team insert editorials out of sheer cluelessness. I'm really inclined to believe the latter, because the leadership of the company is both insane and stupid (even by game company standards), and the taunts are often blatant to the point of all but outright saying "Everything you are doing is completely pointless." or even "You're an idiot for even playing this game."

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:27 pm

beatbandito wrote:A few months ago the thought "Project Aces Gundam Game" came into my head, and it hasn't left since.

Now I'm more generally just thinking "dark souls setting, but you're superman". A dreary, dead world. NPCs that are all ready to give up. They fight like it's a souls game, too. Rolling and getting in quick single swings. Meanwhile you're playing a musou game. Cutting through swaths of enemies that individually could take out a squad of NPCs, protecting settlements and clearing out monster dens. Roll into town where everyone is talking about the next monster attack and pointlessness of it all. Leave with them sobbing, seized in awe of a future they never even dreamed possible.

There are so many popular franchises where everyone knows the point is to exploit until you're completely OP, but I can't think of one that really makes it the central conceit, and applies it narratively.

Breath of the Wild?

Postby Newbie » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:35 am

I have an odd story for you. Six years ago, I created this thread right here and included a comment in the first post:

Newbie wrote:A console RPG where, after the "real" villain has made his grand entrance and everything changes, your party regroups at the inn... and your two least-used party members take you to one side, explain that your objectives have drifted too far from their goals, and they leave to go their own ways. You can track them down, but they're not interested in talking and they'll never rejoin you. For the rest of the game, they're a mute reminder of your inattention. (Shortly afterward, the villain kills your second-most-used character.)

I was so enamored with this concept that I started working on the game in which it could occur, but it was far beyond the scope of my abilities. I needed to make something smaller to test a subset of the ideas I was interested in.

That "something smaller" took on a life of its own, and earlier this week, I decided I'd reached a point I was happy officially releasing it.

THE EXIGENT SEASONS is a text adventure toy. To play it, visit this page and either click the Play On-line link or download the .gblorb file for use with any glulx interpreter. There's a frame story, but the game is mostly a big personality quiz: choose which path to take in a series of 10 crisis events, and you'll find out which of 33 possible futures you'll secure for your people.
tiny text

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:49 am

There's an old Android IF interpreter that has glulx support here https://github.com/sussman/twisty/releases - it creates a /Twisty folder in the root drive for game files. Nothing in the play store seems to work.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:29 pm

Newbie wrote:I have an odd story for you. Six years ago, I created this thread right here and included a comment in the first post:

Newbie wrote:A console RPG where, after the "real" villain has made his grand entrance and everything changes, your party regroups at the inn... and your two least-used party members take you to one side, explain that your objectives have drifted too far from their goals, and they leave to go their own ways. You can track them down, but they're not interested in talking and they'll never rejoin you. For the rest of the game, they're a mute reminder of your inattention. (Shortly afterward, the villain kills your second-most-used character.)

I mean if Cyan and Relm want to go work on their doctorate dissertations, sure, knock yourselves out

THE EXIGENT SEASONS is a text adventure toy. To play it, visit this page and either click the Play On-line link or download the .gblorb file for use with any glulx interpreter. There's a frame story, but the game is mostly a big personality quiz: choose which path to take in a series of 10 crisis events, and you'll find out which of 33 possible futures you'll secure for your people.

it's good

Postby Newbie » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:52 pm

Thanks! Since this might be of interest to folks around here, if you play Magic: the Gathering, you can make the game more magical by entering the secret command "abracadabra" twice.
tiny text

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:04 pm

After seeing some things on Twitter and hearing some things on Maddow, I'm thinking "why hasn't anyone made an over-the-top firefighting game? Look at this crazy crap!"

Firefighting aircraft! From the inside!

Smoke Jumpers!

And of course, you could make it crazier. Maybe on Earth, maybe in the future, megastorms driven by climate change (and maybe some MGS-esque conspiracy??) have to be fought by semi-mechanized firefighters.

On the ground, there's skydiving into the wilderness, Death Stranding-style hiking and navigation but much more urgent. Fight smaller blazes before they can grow too large, survey potential fuel hazards and handle them by digging fire breaks or controlled burns, help coordinate rescues and evacuations, maybe get on the wrong side of an odd paramilitary forest compound or two. Assisted by powered exoskeletons and robot mules, maybe evacuated via balloons because why the hell not!

In the air, you fly helicopters, water bombers, and drones to tackle the bigger fires and assist people on the ground. Hurry to scoop and dump water, deploy ground fighters by parachute and extract stranded people, drop supplies to turn the tide of disasters, and maybe save the day by dousing a blaze blocking an escape route with one well-placed drop. Not only is the mountainous terrain dangerous, but the fires make new and nightmarish weather events, sometimes without warning, like ash blizzards, fire tornadoes, and smoke-borne thunder.

Story-wise... er, I've never been very good on that part.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:43 pm

Yoji wrote:Story-wise... er, I've never been very good on that part.

"Shit's on fire, yo."

EDIT: You know it's actually very interesting to think of how wildly different the numbers are for "games where you're a cop" versus "games where you're literally any other first-responder".

Even in games about something else, where the fact that you're a cop doesn't matter much other than providing background or grounding.

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:18 pm

I mean, making the player a cop just gives them the slightest justification for being a murderhobo. Other first responders are required to actually, y'know, do useful things that might help people.