Re: Game musings and news

Postby mharr » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:08 am

Joel Burgess explains the misbug of the treasure fox
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1428 ... 81157.html

sei

Postby sei » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:14 pm

Thad wrote:

I wondered for years why we didn't see more indie devs riffing on Final Fantasy Tactics, and it's nice to see it finally happening.

Never did finish...that other one with the hopelessly generic name that keeps sliding off my brain.
Fae Tactics?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:36 pm

I wonder, does The Banner Saga count as a tactics game (series)?

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:14 am

An Actraiser remake? Yay! It looks like they started on mobile and then scaled up the graphics poorly in places...? Oh.

Well, it plays fine so far at least? It just looks like one of those GBA games that tried to copy DKC graphics for the platforming stages.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:01 pm

Yeah that one was not on my Bingo card.

Glad to hear it's...mostly good?

(My main takeaway from the trailer was "oh shit you can shoot diagonally?")

Seems like it's a great candidate for a physical release by Limited Run or somebody. I might wait and see if that happens before I buy it. But yeah I'll buy it eventually. More ActRaiser is something we should encourage even if the graphics are a little unfortunate.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:13 pm

PSA for anyone using the Special Edition version of Skyrim and uses even the smallest, tiniest mods, including minor bugfixes, etc.: Back up your current game files, because Bethesda's stupid 'Anniversary Edition' is about to break every Special Edition mod in existence.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:34 am

Mongrel wrote:PSA for anyone using the Special Edition version of Skyrim and uses even the smallest, tiniest mods, including minor bugfixes, etc.: Back up your current game files, because Bethesda's stupid 'Anniversary Edition' is about to break every Special Edition mod in existence.

... aaaaand time to go set Skyrim VR to not auto-update, just in case. Although apparently Skyrim VR is already behind normal Special Edition so maybe they won't update it?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:23 am

Grath wrote:
Mongrel wrote:PSA for anyone using the Special Edition version of Skyrim and uses even the smallest, tiniest mods, including minor bugfixes, etc.: Back up your current game files, because Bethesda's stupid 'Anniversary Edition' is about to break every Special Edition mod in existence.

... aaaaand time to go set Skyrim VR to not auto-update, just in case. Although apparently Skyrim VR is already behind normal Special Edition so maybe they won't update it?

Don't forget that because Steam fuckwaffles about forcing updates, so you will need to 1) Start Steam independently and 2) ONLY launch steam through whatever mod organizer you use, so that Steam won't see it as being launched and force the update on you.

(this is in the link, but I figured I'd pick it out in case it gets lost in the wall of text)

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:11 am

I know I shouldn't be surprised but how can Bethesda not know that game still sells ten years later exclusively as a modding platform? Valve understood that about Half Life and Source Engine and y'know I think they did alright financially.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:03 pm

mharr wrote:I know I shouldn't be surprised but how can Bethesda not know that game still sells ten years later exclusively as a modding platform? Valve understood that about Half Life and Source Engine and y'know I think they did alright financially.

Beth understands this very well, considering the top modders actually talked with them directly about this issue.

A person with an especially cynical view of people might argue that someone at Beth is doing this on purpose, out of spite, after their big plan to sell AE as a new edition (this is not clear but Beth's original declarations about AE certainly implied it) instead of a free patch was hosed so badly by the community that they had to backpedal and give out for free as a "patch" to SE.

I'm not actually sure I'd go that far, but the fact in the case are that the folks Responsible at Beth know this will break all SE edition mods, but just don't care.

It's especially odd ("odd") given the fact that the entirety of the AE is literally just the Special Edition + all the mods in Bethesda's Creation Club (their failed proprietary paid modding platform) added in for free. This basically amounts to throwing in the towel since there will be literally no point to it after this - every edition will have the existing mods on it, and what creators would add anything now that the contents have been given away free?

Of course that makes this update even more contentious. Most of the CC content is minor and mediocre (it's also only 100-ish mods after 4 years), and all of it is effectively redundant due to existing free mods. So for many SE players this is actually a net negative, in that it's bloat they don't want or need.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:41 pm

It's this simple:
Modders work for free.
No matter how many times they break all mods, people make new mods.
Even if the current maintainers burn out, people will definitely update or remake the core, essential mods.
All Bethesda customers fall into two categories:
1) Customers who know that modding is Bethesda's lifeblood know that the mods will get made, as well, and so are more than willing to buy games even before those mods are finished, or during those periods where they need compatibility updates.
2) Customers who don't know anything about Bethesda don't know that mods are necessary, and therefore don't make purchase decisions based on mod compatibility.
Neither of these categories of customer is likely to change their decision to purchase the product as a result of mod compatibility breaking.

Therefore, Bethesda has no incentive to spend the extra time internally to keep mods compatible.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:12 pm

That's all true, but there's no way it was worth whatever Beth spent doing this (which probably wasn't much in relative terms). It's still a stupid mistake being compounded.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:14 am

Bethesda's reason for the update was "can continue to function on the Xbox Marketplace", so I'm not surprised they would be willing to fuck an unofficial modding community for that. The wisdom of future-proofing a game that's already 10 years old is another matter, though.

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:47 am

Just in time for the newest 2B mods with exploding skirt.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:29 pm

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It goes on. What an adventure.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer sack of shit passing for a game. Get utterly fucked, Amazon.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:47 pm

I'm so glad FFXIV exists now so when people say "but how do you even make a good MMO" I finally have something to point to
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:55 pm

Friday wrote:I'm so glad FFXIV exists now so when people say "but how do you even make a good MMO" I finally have something to point to

It just makes me sad, and even a bit frightened, that that is still the only one.

Like we're talking about a field with at least thousands of entries now and there's ONE that's not hopelessly insufferable, exploitative, or both?

(not counting the handful of dead ones reclaimed by players)

Like, I just want a game that let's me shitpost all day while playing a game where the game isn't absolutely fucking awful and it turns out that is in fact too much to ask for?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:00 pm

It's as if you can't get funding to make an MMO unless you're selling actual bottles of snake oil out of the back of a van running a RMT guild.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:32 pm

Mongrel wrote:It's as if you can't get funding to make an MMO unless you're selling actual bottles of snake oil out of the back of a van running a RMT guild.

Not even if you're a VP at Blizzard, apparently. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mike+ybarra+boosts&ia=web

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:56 pm

It's an open secret that a lot of the worst staff at shitter MMOs do run RMT operations. You don't even need to give yourself free stuff, just having insider knowledge about buffs and nerfs is enough to let you make a killing.

Always gives me a cynical laugh when I remember RMT's how Steve Bannon made his money too.

What's really tragic when you realize you feel like giving money to the game company itself is less ethical than buying currency from RMTers.